The Samurai

Guest houndog990

Guest houndog990

Her life ended with the typical “white coated vet….needle in the vein….my condolences…..”

In my quest to pen this post, a scene from “The Last Samurai” with Tom Cruse came to mind. He is kneeling before the Emperor presenting the ever loyal Katsumoto’s sword when the Emperor asked him, “You were there? Tell me, How did Katsumoto die?”

Cruse responds, “I will tell you how he lived.”

Betsy was a good dog, I know how that sounds post-mortem, but she was. Other than the once-a-year newspaper shredding, she was perfect. No trash picking, No counter surfing, never got into anything she shouldn’t, never got up on the furniture. She never once tried to “play” (read: eat) the kids’ stuffies. In fact she didn’t even waste her time on them. Her first love was playing fetch in the one acre pen with her blue jack. This $9 kong type translucent blue four pronged thing with a rope handle could not be thrown fast enough nor far enough for her. Betsy would run even the youngest dogs into exhaustion, and in true Betsy form, she never lost.

Betsy was patient. She was giving and most of all she loved people. She was a shameless hussy when it came to affection, pushing her snout under the most unsuspecting of people. My face would always turn red from embarrassment and my only reply was, “She thinks everyone has been hired to pet her….”

On a Thursday night in September she came into the house with a limp, by Monday she developed edema swelling, she went on antibiotics and rymadal and never really went off. (soft tissue damage?) The swelling went down and a hard mass on her thigh was present, x-rays ruled out hip dislocation, but a needle biopsy revealed fresh blood (massive hematoma?) the next course of treatment was a drain put thru her thigh, blood loss to the point of near death ensued (arterial tear?) my DVM exhausted all possibilities and after a $1500 bill and every test done imaginable to man, Dr. Cruikshank told me to take her home. She needed a surgeon. My husband and I agonized over the decision. (“$6000 is too much money…” "But she is not sick, only injured....")

That night Betsy lay down in the dining room and couldn’t get up. She was too weak, her gums were white from blood loss and her body emaciated. I had to hold her head up to give her water every hour or so. I said my good byes took off her muzzle; my good girl was not going to die with a greyhound racetrack muzzle on. Through our tears that night we agreed that if she was still alive in the morning I would take her to Ottawa for (at least) a consultation with the surgeon. During the night she drank more water and my good girl never tore at her bandages. My heart was pounding fiercely when I woke. I was shocked when saw her a bottom of the stairs wagging a good morning greeting. She was fighting and I could not give up on her.

The surgeon at Alta Vista Animal Hospital was confidant he could repair the damage in her thigh muscle and she would be left with a 90% functional leg. My husband wanted to talk to the vet, Dr Bruce agreed to call him of the bill would be over the $1200 agreed upon price. The 15 minute surgery lasted 2 ½ hours and when I went to pay, Dr. Bruce (god bless Dr. Bruce) reduced the fees down to $800. He was one of my Christmas miracles!

Weeks went by and Betsy was stuck in a “one step forward two steps back” pattern of healing. I was focused on her medical care, daily bandage changes, initial sterile ones in the surgical suite at Canton Animal Hospital allowed the staff to get to know the kind gentle soul Betsy was. So it was with great sadness when we finally allowed ourselves to realize she was not going to heal. That the “some thing else is going on” was hemangiosarcoma, soft tissue cancer.

On a cold snowy December morning, 12 weeks after her initial “injury” I gave my faithful warrior permission to stop fighting. And with the heart of a Samurai, my wisp of a ballerina greyhound left this Earthly plain in search of the rainbow bridge.

I am left with sadness, for what is an Emperor without an Army to lead?

I miss you my good girl…..

amy

Betsy at the rainbow bridge

1-9-2000 to 12-20-2008

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a touching tribute to a hound well loved. :heart My deepest condolences to you and your DH. :grouphug

Godspeed, sweet Betsy... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a lovely tribute to your good girl Betsy.

:f_pink:grouphug:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest HighMaintenance
:gh_run2 That tribute moved me to tears. What a beautiful soul Betsy was. She is running, pain free, and happy with all of our beloved babies. They will take her in and make her feel welcomed. Until you are reunited again.

That was a moving and truly lovely tribute to your beautiful girl. Betsy was a gentle and special soul. You succeeded admirably in telling her life as she lived it.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest rsqdogsmom

How much she must have loved you to fight so hard to heal;

and how very much you loved her to try everything you could to help her

and still be brave enough to know when to let her go. :brokenheart

May God heal your hearts,

diminish your pain,

and restore EVERY good memory you have of your time together.

My heart goes out to you and your family at this difficult time.

GOD SPEED, sweet girl. Run free.:heart

:f_red

I'm so sorry for your loss

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I know Betsy is watching over you as she romps and runs with our Angels. My deepest sympathy...we here...know how much it hurts. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Your tribute to your brave girl is so sweet and touching. You are in my thoughts. Run free, Betsy!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm typing this in a blur with eyes stinging, blinking rapidly.

Can't find the right words......sorry seems weak after a tribute like that to your amazing girl.

Deepest Sympathy

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I am so sorry for your loss of Betsy, she sounded like a real sweetie and a fighter to the end. Run free sweetie, run free... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.