Polli Dropped Off At Vet For 4th Chemo

RobinM

Dropped off Polli for her 4th chemo and vet came out to car to see Polli walk. The good news is that it is not cancer related, meaning it’s not cancer in another leg as you all predicted . After this chemo we have ONE MORE TO GO!

The bad news is that it is somewhat neurological. She pressed on one particular spot and it made Polli sit- something Polli doesn’t do. It caused her pain. :(

She will get a shot today to reduce inflammation, I will keep her on 75mg of deramaxx until Saturday. If there is no change, she will start on Pred.

Other than having to drink/pee a lot- any other side effects I should look out for with pred?This is something I am not familiar with, however, I do know, many of your dogs are on it.

Polli was so frightened; she could barely stand and walk. Shaking uncontrollably. I felt so horrible.

I will be picking her up just as soon as they call, which hopefully will be around noon.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Dr. L did the same exam on Alan - he dropped as well as he has a neurological issue. I hope sweet Miss Polli calms down and am glad that it's not cancer related. I'm sure GTrs will chime in with regard to pred - as Alan cannot take pain meds or pred b/c of kidney disease. Good luck with Polli later.

Do you take her to a chiropractor? If not, give it a try. I've brought limping dogs into see Dr. Lesser and they came out ready to run around the yard.

The preds that Pearl was on 2 yrs ago made her BP skyrocket (she was already hypertensive) and she got this ugly shape about her. He muscles seemed to go to jelly. She got what looked like a beer belly. I heard that other than looks it doesn't cause problems. But I had to take her off due to her BP.

Good luck.

I am out of my depth with neurological issues and I've not used Prednizone... just wanted to send more hugs and say that I'm glad it's not cancer-related.

Polli, be brave sweetie... just this round and ONE more to go! Sending kisses to your sweet girl. :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2

and for you: :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest EmilyAnne

I bet as her pain meds kick in she will be less frightened. I have no experience with Prednisone, but I do have experience with Deramaxx which was extremely helpful on cutting down on inflammation and pain. It made my 85 lb late pointer go from walking with an awkward painful gait to running and having fun again.

:bighug

Guest Hollys2hounds

No advice, just good thoughts and prayers from us!

Thinking of you ALL! and wishing you an uneventful chemo... good eating, and good results from the prednisone.

(My Ginger was on prednisone for quite some time... she had a spinal issue and some paralysis

besides what you mentioned with the drinking and peeing... we found it to be a miracle drug. Our only problem was that symptoms returned weeks after the prednisone dosage, and we had to start again.)

Let us know how Miss Polli does today, and you are holding up!

xxxoooo

Holly and gang

Guest greytmonty

monty couldn't tolerate pred because of the peeing side effects but I know it can be a very helpful drug . Good luck and sending healing thoughts to miss polli.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin,

Just thinking...

Would acupuncture help? I know you are and advocate, as am I... not sure if this would help, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Guest greyscot

My non grey angel Shirley was on Prednisone and the drinking was non-stop. The one good thing was it gave her an appetite. She went from being really fussy to eating anything going. It also seemed to make her very warm. Hope Polli feels better.

We are home. Polli is up 2 pounds!!! OINK OINK. She loves her cookies! Vet was pleased. I feel the only reason she gained so much was she is not walking at all anymore and eating as much, if not a bit more.

One more chemo to go and we are DONE! YAY!

Hopefully, the shot she got will help her walking and we can just enjoy her with no vet visits except for annuals.

Wouldn' t that be nice!?

Robin,

Just thinking...

Would acupuncture help? I know you are and advocate, as am I... not sure if this would help, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Yes, I am a major advocate of acupunture but all the docs agree, not for a dog with cancer. Acupunture makes the circulation move faster and if there are micocancerous cells- they will move faster too, so no acupunture.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest greydogluvr

Oh Sweet Polli. You are almost done. Hang in there sweetie. You are both in my prayers.

BTW, Clementine takes pred everyday. .5 mg. It has given her additional energy and she eats a lot. These may be 2 good side effects for Polli.

I'm very glad to hear that it's not (yacky) related and hopefully, she can be helped with simple medication. And then, one final chemo and as you said, back to annual checkups :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

She gained TWO pounds???!!! Woo-hoo!!!! post-12551-1216418977.gif:yay:banana:yay:banana Good girl!!

Let's hope the shot helps her leg and mobility. Go Polli!!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh Sweet Polli. You are almost done. Hang in there sweetie. You are both in my prayers.

BTW, Clementine takes pred everyday. .5 mg. It has given her additional energy and she eats a lot. These may be 2 good side effects for Polli.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought this response needed to be made to the thread so folks would have the info.

Long-term use of pred should be on an every-other-day schedule. Otherwise it can result in iatrogenic (medically-induced) Cushings, causing problems with the pituitary gland. I think using pred every day was what led to my Cosmo's demise. She had degenerative myelopathy on top of lymphoma, and I found that she was able to walk better with pred every day. The vet told me I shouldn't dose that way, but I talked him into letting me (he recognized, while I didn't that this was palliative treatment). I would recommend that you speak to your vet about using pred on a daily basis. In the short term I understand it can be okay, but for long-term use, I wouldn't use it every day.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought this response needed to be made to the thread so folks would have the info.

Long-term use of pred should be on an every-other-day schedule. Otherwise it can result in iatrogenic (medically-induced) Cushings, causing problems with the pituitary gland. I think using pred every day was what led to my Cosmo's demise. She had degenerative myelopathy on top of lymphoma, and I found that she was able to walk better with pred every day. The vet told me I shouldn't dose that way, but I talked him into letting me (he recognized, while I didn't that this was palliative treatment). I would recommend that you speak to your vet about using pred on a daily basis. In the short term I understand it can be okay, but for long-term use, I wouldn't use it every day.

Ok thanks.

She is not on it as of yet. IF there is no improvment with total rest, just out for potty and 75mg of deramaxx until Saturday- then we will have to look at other options for her comfort.

Might want to review this with your vet: http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm

I believe Dr. Stack is very kind about consulting if the need should arise.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cutie started on pred. this week. The first couple of days she wanted to drink quite a bit more but that has settled down. She is on 25 mg/twice a day.

I've had greys on pred. in the past and the only tme there was a problem was with Cat. She was losing use of her legs and the dosage had to be pushed pretty high. She developed Cushings after about 2 months on the high dosage.

Short term I have never had a problem and the excessive thirst and peeing always settled down. They can gain weight pretty quickly on pred.

Hopefully the dermaxx and rest will help Polli improve quickly.

Always thinking of your sweet little Polli.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I hope Polli can continue to take steps forward, get to that last chemo, and pass it up.

Such a brave, sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Might want to review this with your vet: http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm

I believe Dr. Stack is very kind about consulting if the need should arise.

thank you for reminding me. I had printed it out to bring and discuss, but totally forgot.

anyway- i just had DH fax it to her.

Thanks.

what a little piglet u are polli :lol good girl!!!! :confetti :confetti

REALLY!!!! She is up to 55 pounds. She was 61 pre amp! OMG- That's a whole lotta cookies going on there!!!! :P