What Do You Use To Repair Cracked Paws?

We've had a lot of very cold weather recently, and a lot of ice. Then the ice storm came, turning blades of grass into icycles that cut like a knife. Additionally, this is the first year we have a wood pellet stove, which makes the air very dry. The combination of all these things has meant that both Sagan's and Merlin's paw pads are in very bad shape. I am pretty worried to be honest.

I have used Musher's Secret to protect their paws, and while I have had success with it in the past, it's done nothing to help this winter. At this point I need something that not only protects against dry, cracked pads but also something to treat their pads with. I am also planning to buy some of K9 Apparel's long booties... does anyone have these and do they stay on?

What do you use on your pups' paws? I heard that EMT gel was supposed to be good, but is that as a preventive or as a treatment?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I use Bag Balm... you can get it from a drugstore or even walmart. You can also use Corona... you can get it at a farm store. I use both on the dogs and on my feet and elbows in the winter when I get really dry.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest ArtysPeople

Poor puppers! We have the K-9 booties, but haven't put them on yet this year! Once you figure out how to put them on, they stay on great. I just wish that the back ones were 1/2" longer or that we'd bought a larger size because they just barely don't reach over the joint in back. For the first few minutes, Arty walked like a cat with tape on the bottom of its feet, but he got used to them really quickly. I agree with the others who recommended Bag Balm. When my own hands and feet get really bad, nothing works quite as well as Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream (the stuff they advertise as being used by Norwegian fishermen): http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Norwegian...8802&sr=8-1

I seem to remember a picture of your puppers wearing socks in the house? If they'll put up with it, I'd cream their pads up really well, then put baby socks on them for the night.

ETA: EMT gel is a wound treatment, so was probably advised for treating a really bad crack.

Edited by ArtysPeople

Can you slather the paws with vaseline and pop infant socks on at bedtime to keep it on there? You'd probably have to do it every night for a long time...And booties when they go outside.

You must be confused :lol I haven't put socks on Merlin or Sagan before... Sagan rips everything off within 5 seconds, and Merlin might tolerate it but would get them off movng around. Thanks for the advice about Bag balm and Corona though... I'll buy some tomorrow. And Christie, thanks for the info about the booties, I'm going to order some for Merlin as he is more delicate than Sagan... and see how things go!

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I agree. Bag balm works wonders (for human feet too!)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yup, Bag Balm. Kerry, I have a TON of it. Want me to mail you some?

Oh gosh, that's soooo sweet of you... but you should keep it, as something tells me you will need it this winter :(

I'm counting the days to spring, I really am...

I got my Bag Balm at Walgreens, in the lotion section. It's pretty widely available. So far it doesn't hold a candle to Curel for my own feet, though!

I'm using the Musher's Secret too, but I think of it more to protect than to heal damage -- don't know if that's right.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

The years Patrick's had this problem, I have rubbed udder cream into his paws every night, which has worked really well.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Hasn't been fun so far, has it? :(

You might check CVS for Bag Balm. Other than that I wouldn't know where to buy it, I ordered mine online.

I'll try CVS and I'll also try Whole Foods. I have found places that sell it online, although I can't bear to look at their poor feet like that, so I'm hoping I can find it locally this first time, so I can use it right away...

I got my Bag Balm at Walgreens, in the lotion section. It's pretty widely available. So far it doesn't hold a candle to Curel for my own feet, though!

I'm using the Musher's Secret too, but I think of it more to protect than to heal damage -- don't know if that's right.

I think you're right about the Musher's Secret, Anne - I think that it's supposed to be a preventive, which is why it's not working too well to help heal their pads. I've not been too impressed with its preventive properties this winter though. It worked quite well last year... :dunno

Bag Balm is SOOOO much cheaper at Wallyworld (on bottom shelf here). Don't buy it at CVS or Walgreens until you check. It is a big difference here.

I don't shop at Walmart because they use sweat shops... so I have to try to be consistent on this one... Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it! :)

Guest R3GREYS
I use vaseline! I've never heard of Bag Balm. I'll have to find some!

Bag Balm works Great! I've used it on cracked, bleeding, dry hands when fishing in cold weather. Slap some on before bed, put on some gloves and like new in the morning. I think the original use was for cow utters. As to all the above mentioned places to get you can also get it from Tractor suppy, Agway and any other farm store. I think some of the pet shops are now carrying it too. I also hear some women using Main & Tail horse shampoo with great sucess.

John

We can find bag balm is walgrees, cvs, rite aid, walmart, target, just about aywhere really! Usually its a square metal tin (maybe plastic these days?!), witha sort of floral type design on it. Any drug store would know it, its been around for years.

On icy/salty days i use little witer booties i got at Petco, they are felt with velcro elastic at the 'ankles'. They are about $6 ad work pretty well, i need a new pair each winter but at least they work and stay on!

Good luck!