Polli- Is It Her Back Legs?

RobinM

I took some video of polli when I brought her outside. Today, again (she was better yesterday) she is hesitant to go down the steps.

I think her back legs look wobbly/ turned in a bit. Can you see anything from this video?

th_MVI_2020.jpg

th_MVI_2021.jpg

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne

I wonder if Polli is experimenting on figuring out the most effective way of getting around, and in doing so, some of the ways she tried she over exerted a muscle and it's sore? When one muscle is hurt, over compensating can occur, causing injury to different area. I think the more rest she gets, the better. Is there a way she could get water therapy?

Do you see what I see?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

The second video, looks to me, to be rear legs trying to get around the hose, so therefore not walking straight. Alan stumbles and knuckles at times and that doesn't look the same to me. What are you seeing?

On the first video it looked to me like she might be having trouble with her right rear leg. I think I would let the vet check it out as soon as you can. She clearly looks uncomfortable walking.

Prayers for this sweet girl...no more complications please.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

From the looks of your pool cover have you had lots of rain too??? In the second video if you watch real close it looks like she is trying to go from a grassy spot to another...sort of hopping over the mud.

Just a thought.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Yes, I saw her left hind leg turn in, particularly as she was negotiating around the hose. You know her best, and can tell if her gait has changed. Have you explored chiropractic work for her spine? Being a brave tripod is putting new stresses on muscles and bones. Sending lots of light to Miss Polli. :kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Hmmm, the left rear leg seemed to be crossing over to the right, but it's hard to say if that is not just compensating. And maybe the yard is a little muddy, and she's trying to avoid that. Tripod gaits can look awkward sometimes when they are just trying to get it done. But you do know her like a book, so if you are concerned, I'd go with your gut feeling, and watch her closely.

But it was lovely to see the girl!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Winterwish
On the first video it looked to me like she might be having trouble with her right rear leg. I think I would let the vet check it out as soon as you can. She clearly looks uncomfortable walking.

Prayers for this sweet girl...no more complications please.

Robin I agree with Chicocat. Polli may be trying to avoid weight bearing on her right rear leg. Keeping your cutie pie Polli in my thoughts and prayers.  :heart  :hope

Edited by Winterwish

Guest EmilyAnne

OK, the second video, (which wasn't yet there when I previously posted) I think makes it clear a back leg is bothering her. Is she on anti-inflammatories already? I'd take her to vet and see about anti-inflammatories if she is not already on that.

Robin, the second video does look like Polli's trying to avoid using her back leg. Also the arching of her back makes me think she's experiencing pain. She's having to learn how to walk all over again, so she is going to experience muscle pain...that's normal. It looks like she knuckled under a little and corrected the foot, you might be able to palpate gently along her spine and see if you get a pain response. Patsie knuckles under once in awhile because of a compressed disc in her neck.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Has your vet seen the videos? I'd take her in and get some more x-rays and range-of-motion check.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Several of my friends have had to go thru amputation with their greys,,, So, all I can do is compare to them

~I think I'd be worried about the arch in her back, and the way her Right back leg is acting. I know her tail is working overtime with balance issues,, She definitely looks uncomfortable walking.

I'd be doing lots of rub downs, chiropractic or massage therapy for her. and if no improvement in a day or two, I'd be making a Vet apointment

Good luck!!! :grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest EmilyAnne

My Riley recently experienced muscle tissue injury that caused limping. He went from bad to a lot worse over night, and as soon as I got him on anti-inflammatories, it stopped worsening and began to heal. I wouldn't delay in getting Polli to the vet. Being a tripod especially.

MY vet is not in this weekend at all. Although they have all treated greyhounds there (it's the vets of choice for the 2 local groups), there are really 2 who REALLY see a lot of greys and they are not there.

There is another vet there tomorrow who sewed Beau up when he was mauled by Teddy a while back and he did an xcellent job, but he does not know polli- her issues and the way she walks like my vet does.

Polli has her chemo appointment Monday. I'm torn. If G-D forbid it gets any worse, she will go tomorrow- if not, I will wait till Monday but in the meantime, I guess I wil email the videos to her.

Guest EmilyAnne
MY vet is not in this weekend at all. Although they have all treated greyhounds there (it's the vets of choice for the 2 local groups), there are really 2 who REALLY see a lot of greys and they are not there.

There is another vet there tomorrow who sewed Beau up when he was mauled by Teddy a while back and he did an xcellent job, but he does not know polli- her issues and the way she walks like my vet does.

Polli has her chemo appointment Monday. I'm torn. If G-D forbid it gets any worse, she will go tomorrow- if not, I will wait till Monday but in the meantime, I guess I wil email the videos to her.

For now I'd just make everything as easy as possible for Polli. I can understand wanting to see the vet more knowledgable about Polli, especially as Polli is a special case.

When she was outside in back, Teddy and Chloe starting doing their normal crazy playing and Polli started running with them. She seems more comfortable running, than she does walking.

thoughts?

Vinnie loved, loved, loved to run but was always slower when walking. Plus, your yard looks like ours, mud puddles and uneven patches, the bain of every pup owner - makes it harder for them to walk - especially when they don't like their feet wet. I could not tell if the rear paw crossovers and tilts were due to this or just the strain. If she is running and not yelping in pain - that is good. But I would still watch her carefully, continue doing the massages with her and have your vet look at the videos and/or her on Monday. If she is panting heavily long after coming in from outside, that would also be another indicator. Keeping Miss Polli in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs and scritches.

Guest ChasesMum

George too was more comfy runnning than walking. Its a gait thing, its more natural and less hoppy..at least it was for G.

i think emailing the vids to your vet is a good start, and your "tomorrow if worse Monday at least" seems solid to me. 2 days wont change facts if its something related to her osteo, and if its worse you have plan B. I am sure your vet would come in this weekend if needed and she is able (or do a phone consult with the other vets). I was on the phone to our vet's clinic manager and she would call the vet so since you can email your vet direct, I'd TOTALLY use that. She wouldnt have given it to you if she wanted you to see someone else or wait out the weekend and wasnt interested in Polli's recovery.

I'd keep her pertty close to home, don't do walkies, but gentle yard walking... pick up anything she has to walk around, and a rub down etc. JMHO of course...

George too was more comfy runnning than walking. Its a gait thing, its more natural and less hoppy..at least it was for G.

i think emailing the vids to your vet is a good start, and your "tomorrow if worse Monday at least" seems solid to me. 2 days wont change facts if its something related to her osteo, and if its worse you have plan B. I am sure your vet would come in this weekend if needed and she is able (or do a phone consult with the other vets). I was on the phone to our vet's clinic manager and she would call the vet so since you can email your vet direct, I'd TOTALLY use that. She wouldnt have given it to you if she wanted you to see someone else or wait out the weekend and wasnt interested in Polli's recovery.

I'd keep her pertty close to home, don't do walkies, but gentle yard walking... pick up anything she has to walk around, and a rub down etc. JMHO of course...

yes. to all.

I did email my vet starting out with... I'm sorry to bother you on your day off...

My Dh said the same thing as you did about the running being easier for her than walking, no bouncing, it just flows. As soon as she stopped, she was not grounded. I don't think it's the osteo, per say- but something in her hind quarters. I know that acupunture was not recommended when she was diagnosed because acupunture makes the cirulation move and you don't want any cancerous cells (if there are any) moving around.

I am wondering if I need to look into swimming for her.

Oy Vey. That's all I have to say.

Sending more prayers for Miss Polli and hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest wmlcml6
When she was outside in back, Teddy and Chloe starting doing their normal crazy playing and Polli started running with them. She seems more comfortable running, than she does walking.

thoughts?

My Annie's back legs are messed up (torn achilles tendon in both legs, vet couldn't fix), but she can run faster than all the dogs at our house. Walking is hard on her though, as is standing still so she sits if we are outside and she's tired of playing or standing.

The arch in Polli's back does suggest she's possibly pinched something. We had a racer once who got bumped in the first turn. By the time she got back to the kennel from racing, she could hardly walk. The next morning, she was arched like a cat and couldn't bear to put weight on her back legs. We took her to the vet for an exam and he took x-rays, and decided it was probably a pinched nerve. He did a chiropractic manipulation and acupuncture, and she was doing zoomies in his fenced area before we left. That is what made me a real believer in alternative therapy.

Polli has had to learn how to be mobile, and is probably trying out different methods to find one that works best for her. In the meantime, she could very well be overcompensating and causing a number of problems from being out of alignment to having a pinched nerve.

Feel better, Polli ... you too, Robin.

Edited by wmlcml6