Gidge

Sending good thoughts for Gidge :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary, I am so sorry Gidge is going through this. How is she doing today? All my thoughts and good wishes are going to you both. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

How is Miss Gidge? Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 4 weeks later...
Will you be doing subQT fluids? When we started doing fluids on Kona, it was like she was a new dog. The subQT fluids are not bad to administer. We were doing it 2x week in addition to blood pressure meds.

I've asked her twice aboutt subQT fluids and both times she has said she doesn't want to try it 'yet.' On my next visit I will ask again. She says it will take a long time to administer, etc. I guess my big question is, do we wait until she is nearly dead? I don't get it.

After this visit, we will probably use our regular vet for follow-up visits. She is willing to administer the fluids and doesn't understand why Dr. Tate isn't willing to start them now.

Dr. Tate is about 45 minutes away. All she does is draw blood and urine. Our vet can do that and is much closer (and probably cheaper, although that is not the issue).

Gidge has gained 1 pound back, which is good news. The bad news is she will KNOT eat any of the kidney diet foods. Both vets say the bottom line is to get her to eat. So we boil chicken (one day she will eat it, the next day she won't). We cook ground turkey and/or ground beef (one day she will eat it, the next day she won't). She loves spaghetti, roast beef, roasted chicken, stew beef (one day she will eat it...). I think you get my drift. She is a pee wee so she really can't afford to lose much weight. So we try everything and pray.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Sending lots of hugs. I've been wondering about your little girl.

Does she like spaghettios?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending lots of hugs. I've been wondering about your little girl.

Does she like spaghettios?

Canned? I don't know. I've never given her any canned stuff. I'll check sodium content today when we go shopping.

Mary in Houston

Mary,

Anyone I have known has been doing sub-Q at this point. Do you have to go back to this vet? Can you just go to your own?

One thing that helped with a picky dog of mine was to feed him on our plates and bowls. I think he thought he was getting our food :rolleyes:

We will go one last time. After that, we will be going to our regular vet.

I've tried the plate thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Mary in Houston

Forgot about sodium. I'll bet spaghettios have too much. If she likes tomato sauce, tho, there is low-sodium campbell's tomato soup. (Only mentioning this because you mentioned spaghetti and anything in tomato sauce has always been a hot item here; B ate lots of spaghettios when he was ill but he didn't have sodium restriction.)

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We did fluids at home...that really helped Angel Queenie and it always perked her up..when we got to the point where all she would eat is Arby's and bologna...so be it...that's what she got...I could not watch her starve. Sending prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Fluids at home are very manageable. Food perferences, on the other hand, are a cr*p shoot. I would just rotate, rotate, rotate and keep your fingers crossed. Don't remember, but have you tried nutritional yeast? Still praying for your sweet girl.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Fluids at home are very manageable. Food perferences, on the other hand, are a cr*p shoot. I would just rotate, rotate, rotate and keep your fingers crossed. Don't remember, but have you tried nutritional yeast? Still praying for your sweet girl.

She hates Nutritional Yeast. I have a huge can with one dose out of it. Sigh...

Mary in Houston

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Will you be doing subQT fluids? When we started doing fluids on Kona, it was like she was a new dog. The subQT fluids are not bad to administer. We were doing it 2x week in addition to blood pressure meds.

I've asked her twice aboutt subQT fluids and both times she has said she doesn't want to try it 'yet.' On my next visit I will ask again. She says it will take a long time to administer, etc. I guess my big question is, do we wait until she is nearly dead? I don't get it.

Sorry, I haven't had much time on GT lately and didn't see your post. Giving fluids took 10-15 minutes. The Vet gave us large needles and we hung the bag as high up as we could. We used the top of the kitchen cabinets. Kona went from not eating, even home cooked, to eating kibble again. It made that much difference for her.