How To Say Goodbye To My Sweet Bell

I haven't posted anything about this because I didn't want it to be true, but I think we are at the end with Bell. She hasn't eaten in 2 days and won't get up except to pee and drink a little water. The meds for her CHF aren't helping at all. She didn't even greet me by the door when I came home from my doctor's appointment this morning. In the three years we have had her she has met me at the door every time I came home, even if it was just coming back from the mailbox. Her eyes are dull, her sparkle is gone. I cannot bear to watch her like this. I know we have to make a decision soon, probably within the next day or two. I didn't realize how hard this was going to be. Even though I know it is the right thing to do-- she isn't enjoying life anymore and we've pretty much exhausted our options-- I still feel like I am betraying a friend. Given her poor condition I would not be surprised if she passed away in her sleep, maybe that would be best.

I wanted for her to stay with us long enough to meet our baby in December.

I am sorry I am rambling. I am going to miss her so much and I know other greyhound people will understand. I just had to get it out somehow.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't feel that your are betraying her. It's the final gift of love we offer them, and it's because you love her so much that you set her free. I can't even tell you how sad I feel, she went through so much to get to you.She's a very special girl and was lucky to have found you and I bet she knows that. We will keep you and Bell in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry. Something I had to keep reminding myself when I made this decision for our old girl Simon is that none of us lives forever. You are making a loving choice for your girl and it is in no way a betrayal. It is only a kindness. I sometimes still have to remind myself of that, but I really believe it. :grouphug as you go though this painful time.

Oh Melissa I'm so sorry. I remember Miss Bell and her ride up from the hurricane area. You and DH gave her such a wonderful, loving home. I'm sure it's the best she had and she will remember you always until you meet again. I thought I was going to have to make that decision last week. Lee couldn't stand up and the vet asked me what I would do and to start thinking about it if his previous condition was as good as it gets. I can't stand the thought of having to make "the decision" especially by myself. You are a very generous, loving mommy and can and will only do what's best for her. I just want to send hugs to you. You know we are all here if you need anything.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest argolola

I am crying for you and Bell. I'm so sorry you are both going through this hard time. You will make the right decision for you both.

God bless you, precious Bell. You are loved.

I am so sorry the meds aren't helping. I went through this with Sugar this summer (well, not the baby part) When she lost interest in life, I knew it was time. I wasn't ready, but she was. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. :bighug

:grouphug:grouphug I am so very sorry, you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. :hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending hugs and prayers for you both.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest PiagetsMom
You are making a loving choice for your girl and it is in no way a betrayal. It is only a kindness. I sometimes still have to remind myself of that, but I really believe it.

So well said......and, I really believe it, too. :grouphug

I am so sorry and I can't begin to imagine the pain of what you are going through. You know your girl, you will know when the time is right.

Hugs to you and gentle sritches for Bell.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytfulhounds

I am so sorry. Having been where you are I understand what a hard decision it is to make. :grouphug Sending prayers & thoughts to you & Bell. :hope

I can't find the words Melissa to express how sad this makes me. I know you've done everything possible for beautiful Bell and you gave her a home when she needed it most. My heart goes out to you and you and Bell have all the prayers and hugs I have to give. Give her a kiss from me please.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It is not easy to say goodbye, I am sorry you have to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Your pain is our pain please take care.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest kelli123

Melissa, Sorry about your pain. The way we got threw the last few months of my boys life, I would lay on the bed with him and read to him out loud the bible , we would pray every night for God to give us the strength to make it through this awful time. I would tell him how wonderfull it would be in heaven, and that i would some day be there with him. I could and no that he felt a calm come over us and with out prayer we would have never made it through it. GOD BLESS you Bell you sweet angle. You will be Loved for ever.

I'm so sorry :cry1 :cry1

Sending hugs and strength. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hugs to you and your DH....

It is such a difficult decision even when you know it is the correct one.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021