Nellie's Gotcha Day Ended At The E-vet

Guest oldNELLIE

Guest oldNELLIE

So we started the day of great (see post with pictures in C&F), but it ended not so well...

Nellie spent the whole day relaxing on the couch after we left for work, and when I came home she had her kibble dinner and took a walk for lots of pees and poops. I was saving the McDonalds for when Jeff came home, so we could both watch her delight!

Jeff came in and Nellie stepped off the couch, took a few steps, yelped and her back legs gave out. She just laid in the middle of the living room floor. We thought maybe it was just a cramp, or that her foot was asleep, so we got her up and she took a few turns around the room, then yelped again and laid down. Off to the e-vet we went (6:20 pm).

Her yelping got much worse in the car, and by the time we got to the vet, she could barely walk. She couldn't even get up on the scale, and her back was so arched she looked like a halloween cat. It was awful. We waited for about an hour, and when the vet came in he took one look at her and said it was her back. We explained what happened and her said it was so odd that she could have hurt herself just getting off the couch. He did call greyhounds the "best athletes on earth" which made me really like him! He also said, you just can never know what might happen. He had just seen a mini poodle that had fallen out of a second story window and was fine, and then Nell who hurt herself getting off the couch.

He did some pushing and prodding, and found the spot of her pain was in her neck. Being the e-vet, he said it could be meningitis (sp?) but he is pretty sure it is not, and he wouldn't do xrays because unless it was a fracture, nothing would show up. He did some tests that showed it wasn't neurological and told us to test her again in the morning and to take her to the vet right away if she started stumbling or wasn't able to flip her foot back over. He said to keep her from jumping and moving quickly, gave us some pain meds and we went home.

It was a long night. She wanted to sleep on the bed, and jumped up while we were dosing off. She let out a yelp that made us both jump too. After that, she realized the bed wasn't a good idea, but couldn't get comfortable anywhere. We spent the night on the floor of the living room with her. After her second dose of pain meds with her 5:30 breakfast she settled onto her dog bed, and we could finally get some sleep. Yikes. What a night!

Has anyone else had something like this happen? How long can we anticipate her being in pain? What could she have done with such a simple movement?

Thanks!

Guest turbospeed

Maybe she pinched a nerve and that is going to take some time for her to get some relief. I'd take her back to your regular vet and see what he/she thinks.

Hope she feels better very soon. Sorry that her GOTCHA DAY ended badly.

Turbospeed

I am so sorry I have never had that happen to my 4 but we wanted to send some prayers and hugs for a quick recovery. :grouphug:hope:hope

Edit: Poor baby on her Got Cha Day, I feel so bad for her and you all...

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I sure hope she's feeling better. I'm a bit surprised to hear that the vet thought xrays would show nothing. That's how I found out Tanner had bone spurs. Let us know how she's feeling

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Klingon

I'd vote for a trip to her regular vet, as well. I am a bit puzzled by the e-vet's comment about x-rays only showing something if there were a fracture.

What a rotten thing to have happen on her gotcha day.

Edited by Klingon

Guest oldNELLIE

We desided we will have a "do-over" after she is feeling better. Her 6th birthday was last spring, on a Monday, and the Sunday before we went to a bbq. Well, she must have gotten into something, because the next day she had awful bloody diarrhea and ended up at the vet. No special treats that week!

What do you guys think if she seems to be feeling better? I checked in on her, and her body posture is much better, she is walking less stiffly, and was able to step up over the door jam, which she could not do last night. She also peed and pooped without seeming like she was in much pain (no whining or anything). Do you think the pain meds are just blocking out the problem? I am embarrassed to say this, and totally prepaired to take her back to the vet if she needs to go, but to be honest the $200 last night was a hit on money we don't have right now. Of course I know it is our responcibility to take care of her, but if she is feeling better...

Guest SoulsMom

Well, in all honesty I felt the same way about rushing Soul to Tufts after I had already spent $500 at my regular vet. When he squirted out all blood and I called my vet back he said he MUST be hospitialized and on fluids. I actually tried to discuss it with him : "Are you sure, it was just one squirt". So trust me I know how you feel about the "watch and see approach".

In my case I'm glad my vet insisted, as HGE can be fatal fairly quickly if IV treatment isn't received.

What do you guys think if she seems to be feeling better? I checked in on her, and her body posture is much better, she is walking less stiffly, and was able to step up over the door jam, which she could not do last night. She also peed and pooped without seeming like she was in much pain (no whining or anything). Do you think the pain meds are just blocking out the problem? I am embarrassed to say this, and totally prepaired to take her back to the vet if she needs to go, but to be honest the $200 last night was a hit on money we don't have right now. Of course I know it is our responcibility to take care of her, but if she is feeling better...

You have that window of opportunity to get her into your regular vet now before this happens again or it gets worse. Not knowing what caused the problem, it would make a lot of sense for her to be on 'crate rest' or restricted activity (small area of your home with short potty walks only and no stairs), until she has a more comprehensive work up to try to determine what caused the episode and what's going on. If you wait until this happens again, you may end up with higher cost (physical for her and financial and emotional for you).

Sorry to hear her Gotcha day ended on such a bad note. It is puzzling though that the e-vet didn't want to take x-rays. Nadir has had an ongoing problem with his back and I just had him in yesterday to see a neurologist. She started with x-rays, then moved to MRI and finally a cerebrospinal fluid tap. Depending on what it is x-rays may not always show the cause but it is a good place to start. I'm glad though that she is feeling better. I don't know how you feel about chiropractors but maybe you could just have one check the alignment of her spine without making any adjustments, unless your comfortable of course with that, and ask if they detect something out of line. Many a dog has benefited from an adjustment.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Hope it all turns around fast and you can celebrate the way you had planned on!

Hugs to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh poor baby. Sending prayers and hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh, poor Nellie, not the way to spend her Gotcha Day! Don't have any experience with this, but I hope she improves.

Sending some white light out to you, Nellie!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

This sounds similar to something Rusty has had in the past. Every now and then, he will somehow hurt his neck. I know it happens because he will pace and pace and pace, and has a hard time laying down. He also can't move his head up very high. He's been prescribed some kind of medication, I can't think of it right now, I believe a steroid, and that usually helps within a day.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest MnMDogs

Something similar happened to Matty a few months after I got her. Without any warning one day, she just started screaming and crying in that wonderful greyhound way. I had absolutely no idea what caused it or what made it worse. She would be fine and walking around or laying down, and would suddenly scream in pain. One day she just collapsed in the back hallway at the top of the stairs.

The vet had no idea what caused all of this, and speculated a pinched nerve. When he touched her back in certain spots you could see her fur and skin ripple in response. It lasted off and on for a few weeks, and then it miraculously went away (whatever it was). That was 6 years ago, and nothing similar has happened since. I'm sure your girl will be just fine :)

Re: the X-rays... a few weeks ago, Carrie did something to her neck/right shoulder region and couldn't/wouldn't lift her head, hunched over walking, unable to get comfortable. So we did X-rays, and the vet I don't trust told me there was a compression in her spine in the cervical (neck) area, right at the end of her shoulder blades and that was what was causing her pain. I took the X-rays to the vet I do trust and she said it was pretty darn near impossible to tell compression in cervical vertebrae and really hard to get a good look at most of their cervical vertebrae, period, because of the shoulder blades and rib cage "blocking" the view. I had a really hard time making out anything in the neck area, even with the vet I trust pointing things out. She figured Carrie just tweaked her neck, and sure enough, she was fine within 36 hours. (We did learn that Carrie has spondylosis ("bone spurs" and/or vertebral fusion) in her thoracic vertebrae, but that was unrelated to her injury.) So anyway, if the e-vet localized the pain to that shoulder blade area, then I understand what he said about the X-rays.

Hope she is feeling better.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).