Zoe Is In The Hospital

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

Since Monday when we rushed Zoe to the e-vet, things went down hill. (read about that HERE)

The steroid injection apparently caused a mild tooth abscess and a mild bladder infection to both go berserk. While she's on antibiotics and pain meds which seem to be helping, she won't eat a thing. NOTHING. I made ground beef and rice but she won't touch it. I pureed it with gravy but she refused it. I boiled chicken and carrots which she LOVES but she won't go near it. I made pasta (plain) because she attacks for that and she won't touch it. I finally defrosted PediaPops and gave them to her via a syringe while she was doped up on Torbitol just to get electrolytes into her. That's all she's had since Tuesday night.

She's perked up a bit and isn't screaming and stuck in her squat when she goes to the bathroom. Her poop is also firming up because she's on probiotics. She's not throwing up, which is a good sign.

I called the vet last night and suggested she be admitted so they can administer IV fluids to get nutrients into her. The problem is, our vet isn't a hospital and they leave at 6:00 tonight. There is NO WAY we will leave her there unattended. We offered to pay the salary of their staff if they stayed the night. They wouldn't do it, so we arranged to take her to a vet hospital only 5 miles from our house (the e-vet where she was treated on Monday night) and our vet faxed over her records and consulted with them.

I've been a nervous wreck all week and can't eat or sleep. She's lost 6 pounds and is down to 36.5 - I've lost 5 pounds and weigh a little more than that. ;)

Please keep my little girl in your thoughts and prayers. All of the vets involved in Zoe's care keep telling us they've never seen a 14-year old greyhound, so I'd like to know that we're doing something right for her.

Thanks everyone.

Paula

Edited by 4baddogs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you've been doing a lot of things right for her. I hope knowing that others are also concerned for Zoe and sending her healing thoughts eases the burden just a bit. I know it does for me ;).

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Sending my prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sorry you and Zoe are going through such a rough time. Poor little old lady. Sending prayers and white light for her to improve.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Greensleeves

Are they going to remove the tooth?

Your original post sounded a lot like what happened with Rusty. His turned out to be an abscess, too. The e-vets also suspected a spider bite, but warned us that you can have a couple of "false alarms" before an abscess is definitively diagnosed. She'll feel loads better once that tooth is gone. :)

Sounds like some Mickey-D's may be in order! Other greyt hounds find cheeseburgers hard to resist; I would make it double cheeseburgers! Another had success with venison. Does she have a favorite treat? What about nutritional yeast? Now's the time to give "anything" a try! Tripe? Canned cat food? Baby food meats??? If the antibiotics are messing with her stomach, what about pepto or zantac or pepcid?

Are the antibiotics a prelim to extraction?

Paula, we are sending many prayers for your girl :hope and hugs of support to you! :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending prayers for Zoe :hope

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Sending lots of prayers and well wishes your way. It's so hard when they are sick :hope :hope :hope

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Poor Zoe! I hope she is feeling better soon! It's so hard on the old ones when they stop eating and are already skinny to start with.

Our 14 year old was on a hunger strike until she got some sub-q fluids and an IV when she was sick recently. They gave her just enough "oomph" to start eating on her own. I would also second the carafate and Pepcid.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Sending loads of prayer for you and Zoe.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project