Prayers For Brooke

Guest vtmom

Guest ChasesMum

Lots of prayers! Hopefully we get an update soon.

The first year we had her, Chase ate 2.5lbs (yep!) of milk chocolate with almonds while we were at a movie, and we attempted the peroxide but were unsucessful, so the evet induced vommitting and shockingly she had no ill effects. They monitored her overnight and watched her pancreatic enzymes but they were fine - apparently that was their main concern...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to have kept everyone in suspense. Here is the update on how things are with Brooke.

We finally found an EV that was open and would agree to take a credit card payment over the phone from my MIL who was on a business trip in NYC. It was a 45 minute drive through a seedy part of town with lots of drunks on the road and three tired grumpy kids and a sick nervous dog. We made it safely there. We got Brooke in a room. My daughter started throwing up along with Brooke, that was fun.

Brooke seemed ok but her heart rate was high so she got a doggy EKG which showed she was ok just on a major sugar rush. She was given an anti-vomit shot which she hated. We heard her bellowing and screaming like mad in the back room. They said she was quite the drama queen. After that they gave her activated charcoal and sent us on our way with a bottle of pills to counter act the side effects that would soon be coming from her back side.

We got home around 5am and went to bed. When we were sleeping the charcoal came through Brooke's system and made quite the mess but she was ok so that was just fine with me :lol

It is now several days later and she is fine. She is eating normally and she wants to play a little.

Thank you all for your concern and care :)

Guest LindsaySF

I only just saw this thread. So glad she is ok! :yay

Keep some hydrogen peroxide on hand. If one of the doggies eats something bad in the future, and you catch it within the first few hours, you can give it to them to make them vomit. If you can't get it down their throat straight, add the peroxide to a bowl with bread and peanut butter. The peanut butter makes them eat it, and the bread coats their tummy so the peroxide isn't as harsh.

If it helps, the one time one of my grey's got into chocolate kisses, I did the hydrogen peroxide trick and tossed him outside. My son went out with him. As soon as Dante started to yack up the colorful chocolate, my son leaned over and yacked in sympathy! It was a sight to behold. Thank goodness it was below freezing that night - that was a fun clean up job! I am glad to hear that Brooke and your child are both better!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thank you for the update and I'm so glad to hear she's feeling good. I know from first hand knowledge how scary something like that can be and I'm happy all is well.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Was the anti-vomit shot that Brooke got Cerenia? When both Thane and Gracie had to get it the vet warned us the needle wouldn't hurt them but the medicine itself had an afterburn and boy, did they yelp!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytexplorer
If it helps, the one time one of my grey's got into chocolate kisses, I did the hydrogen peroxide trick and tossed him outside. My son went out with him. As soon as Dante started to yack up the colorful chocolate, my son leaned over and yacked in sympathy! It was a sight to behold. Thank goodness it was below freezing that night - that was a fun clean up job! I am glad to hear that Brooke and your child are both better!

Hey, Dante's mama, don't you have any pictures of this????? :lol Gosh I'd love to see that!

And kisses to sweet Brooke, so glad she is ok, and MIL, for her financial help in a crisis. :nod

~Pat

glad to hear she's OK!!!!! :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh man...my heart just sank when I saw this! Thank god she's okay - My Foxy died after eating 1 bag of chocolate chips :(

:( I am so sorry about Miss Foxy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest brandi007
:( I am so sorry about Miss Foxy. :grouphug

Thanks for the post, it made me laugh and cry. Foxy was actually a boy but had a girly name - when the vet sent his condolences card it was filled with sayings like "She was a really great dog." Silly guy.

So so glad to hear that Brooke is okay

I never knew that was how Foxy died. How awful! Perhaps you would consider posting a yearly cautionary thread for people who might not think that a single bag of chocolate chips is something they should really treat as dog poison. Like sliding glass doors, sometimes it's the every day items that we don't even think about that pose the biggest hazards. People need to know about these dangers and be reminded - it saves lives.

In fact...I wonder if it would be too macabre to start a thread about hounds who have been killed or seriously injured in their own homes, so that others can try to prevent the same thing from happening. For instance, I placed a GH who later died after chewing on someone's asthma inhaler. My own dog Simon was very seriously injured right after I adopted him when he collided with a nail sticking out of the fence - I didn't know it was there but I hadn't looked for it either. He lost part of his thigh. :(

Glad Brooke's okay!

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

That is excellent news!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I never knew that was how Foxy died. How awful! Perhaps you would consider posting a yearly cautionary thread for people who might not think that a single bag of chocolate chips is something they should really treat as dog poison. Like sliding glass doors, sometimes it's the every day items that we don't even think about that pose the biggest hazards. People need to know about these dangers and be reminded - it saves lives.

In fact...I wonder if it would be too macabre to start a thread about hounds who have been killed or seriously injured in their own homes, so that others can try to prevent the same thing from happening. For instance, I placed a GH who later died after chewing on someone's asthma inhaler. My own dog Simon was very seriously injured right after I adopted him when he collided with a nail sticking out of the fence - I didn't know it was there but I hadn't looked for it either. He lost part of his thigh. :(

Glad Brooke's okay!

I'm glad Brooke is okay, too!

I think starting a thread like this would be a greyt idea. It might save another dog's life.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)