Please Pray For Grandpa

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

***update***

The e-vet called us back and said he's doing fine. Still extremely tired (the entire body is completely tensed during one of these episodes...very draining for any dog, much less a senior). But he has eaten a bit and is walking when asked to.

I spoke with our vet this morning and we are going to start Grandpa on a doxepin - treating laryngeal paralysis with it is off-label and there's only anecdotal evidence that it helps with breathing, but we're willing to try it at this point. The doc brought it up that last time we were in with Grandpa but we decided to hold off b/c he's always managed pretty well - even in the heat of the SC summer. We welcomed fall and winter because Grandpa does so much better in the cooler weather....off to do more research, but I'm hopeful this will help prevent a situation like last night from happening again.

As Grandpa came in from last turnout last night his breathing was really raspy. Kinda weird b/c the cool weather has actually made his laryngeal paralysis better. He wouldn't come up the stairs to the back door and started walking in circles with some real raspy breathing. DH stayed with him and told me to get a couple valium pills in cheese for him. When I came out with it a minute later DH said he's getting worse and to go get the valium suppository we keep on hand. Within two minutes Grandpa went from pretty normal to extreme distress.

I ran inside to grab the suppository and I couldn't find it! We always always always keep it in the exact same spot because it is only to be used to help relax him and hopefully loosen his throat to keep him alive until we can arrive at the vet. I yelled out to Ken that I couldn't find it, threw him the keys to the minivan and ran out the door. I didn't even grab our cell phone to call the vet on the way there.

By the time we loaded Grandpa up, his tongue was blue and his breathing was nothing more than a short, squeak of air...this was all probably only 4 minutes from the time he first showed any sign of distress. I have never seen anything like it. I laid in the back with him talking to him and stroking him. When he lost control of his bowels I nearly lost control of myself. :cry1 I prayed for God help calm him and to just keep him getting enough air until we got to the vets. Fortunately there wasn't any traffic on the interstate or the back roads to the vet b/c DH was pretty much maxing out the spedometer. Within 5 minutes, of the vet's front door I heard Grandpa suddenly take a fairly normal breath. It was the sweetest sound I've ever heard. He continued to breath more freely the rest of the way to the vet but was pretty unresponsive in every other way.

The vet gave him a couple things to relax him and they put him on oxygen. The doc said his heart sounded good and strong but that he'd probably be really weak and tired. He stayed there the rest of the night and hopefully we'll pick him up this morning and be able to assess any damage that may have been done due to lack of oxygen. We'll be having a long talk with our regular vet today because I never want Grandpa to go through another episode like this. I really thought he was going to asphyxiate in my arms at a couple points.

If you could spare some prayers and good thoughts for our old guy to make a full recovery, I would really appreciate it.

The weird thing is when I got home, the valium suppository was right where it is supposed to be. Right where I looked several times. DH tried to tell me that there is a reason I didn't find it. A reason we may not be able to figure out, but a reason bigger than us. Maybe. I just don't understand how I missed it.

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heather, keeping your special man in my thoughts and prayers. That must have been so frightening for you both.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greytbookert

Many prayers for Grandpa and for you! Having been through the exact same thing with Booker, I totally understand all the stress and all the other emotions. I'll be praying for Grandpa!

oh gosh!!! :( :( :( sending many prayers!!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

What a dreadful scare. Sending prayers for Grandpa and some hugs for you and Ken.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Both Grandpa and your family are in my thoughts. he's a real cool hound :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KennelMom

I called the vet and they are finishing up a bag of fluids. He's been up and walking to potty, which is good, but he got really winded really fast. The vets are doing their morning rounds/shift change so I'll more detailed info when the vet calls a little bit later. I'm sure he'll be coming home today and I've already left a vm with our regular vet.

Sending lots of love and prayers for Grandpa. :hope:candle:candle:hope

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How scary! Sometimes things happen for a reason, and yes, it is bigger than us.

Lots of prayers for Grandpa.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest TBSFlame

This is what happened to Tessie. It was so scary and I never what to go through that again. She never did get her breath. She was bleeding and they could not get her oxygen levels up even with a tube in her lungs. The other side had become paralyzed. I am still having dreams about that night. Healing thoughts for your Grandpa. I know how scary ride to the vet is.