Say A Little Prayer For Hobbes

Oh how scary. :( Is it possible he ingested something at the dog park? I would be scared he has ingested some poison or something toxic. Have they ran a blood panel?

:goodluck:hope :hope

I don't think he ate anything at the park, he isn't one to eat things off the ground. He had actually skipped breakfast already at that point but he does that now and again so I didn't think anything of it.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug Please update us as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hobbes is back at home tonight.

He is still quite sick but my vet isn't staffed over night so they felt it was better he be at home then alone all night. He was on IV fluids all afternoon and is no longer dehydrated and his fever has come right down so his condition is currently stable. His file was sent to the e-vet down the road so if his condition worsens we can bring him there asap.

So far they are still stumped as to what is going on. The x-rays all came back normal, but there were some odd findings with the blood work. He has an elevated red blood cell count as well as a very high bilirubin reading (84mmol/L normal is 0-15). The vet doesn't know how to proceed from here. He is going back at 7am tomorrow to be put back on IV and hopefully find out whats happening.

I thank everyone so much for your thoughts and prayers, it means a lot to me.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Holding your precious Hobbes in my prayers and sending warm :getwell wishes his way. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Gentle healing thoughts for sweet Hobbes...poor baby...hopefully it isn't anything serious. :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thank you for the update. A very high bilirubin could be a sign of a liver problem. Thinking about you and sending positive vibes for your boy. :hope :hope :goodluck

Do you have results for the BUN?

I should mention too that Greyhounds naturally have a higher RBC than other dogs. Normal for a greyhound is between 7.4 - 9.0 and for other dogs it is 5.5 - 8.5. So don't worry if his RBCs are in the normal greyhound range. I would be concerned about the elevated Bilirubin...and even more so if he had a lower BUN. :goodluck:hope

I should mention too that Greyhounds naturally have a higher RBC than other dogs. Normal for a greyhound is between 7.4 - 9.0 and for other dogs it is 5.5 - 8.5. So don't worry if his RBCs are in the normal greyhound range. I would be concerned about the elevated Bilirubin...and even more so if he had a lower BUN. :goodluck:hope

His RBC was 9.8 so even elevated for a greyhound. His BUN was 5.7 and the normal range is 2.5-9.6 so right in the middle for that one. My vet didn't catch it but normal WBC for a greyhound is 2.0-6.0 and other dogs it's 5.5-16.9 his was 8.39 so high for a greyhound. I'm going to mention it tomorrow.

Sending more prayers for a restful night and much better day tomorrow. Please update us tomorrow as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

His RBC was 9.8 so even elevated for a greyhound. His BUN was 5.7 and the normal range is 2.5-9.6 so right in the middle for that one. My vet didn't catch it but normal WBC for a greyhound is 2.0-6.0 and other dogs it's 5.5-16.9 his was 8.39 so high for a greyhound. I'm going to mention it tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. That is a relief to hear his BUN was normal...that lessons the likelihood of his liver not functioning properly. And good catch with the WBCs. Definitely bring that to your vets attention. He must be dealing with some sort of infection. Has he been tested for TBDs? I don't know anything about them because they are not very common here but they seem to be fairly common down there. I wonder if they can cause this type of reaction.

BTW, another thing to note is that an elevated level of RBC can be caused from dehydration so that might be the cause.

Edited by meakah

Don't have any suggestions to add to the good advice but wanted you to know I'll be sending good thoughts & prayers for your Hobbes. I know how worried you are and it is so hard when you don't know what is happening to your boy. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy