Anal Gland Question

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

I suspect Jet needs his anal glands expressed-he's licking his but like crazy, just in the last few days. I looked and there doesn't seem to be anything visually wrong; no inflammation, ooze, etc, and no grass hanging out either. :rolleyes: I was also outside with them scooping and scooped a fresh deposit, and didn't see any evidence of worms.

I know that both the groomer and the vet can do an expression, and that if there's a problem the vet should, but for a case like this, is there a preference? Does it really matter who does it? (As long as it's not me, that is. :blink: Or him all over the couch!)

edited for spelling, because apparently I couldn't!

Edited by FireHorse

Merlin has needed this done before and I am glad I went to the vet. He had an infection, and I was able to pick up antibiotics immediately. I definitely recommend you go to the vet.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

At our vet a tech will do it for a discounted price, or the vet does it for full. You might ask if you feel there's no infection of other issues. But you're already at the vet's in case there is.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Have the vet do it.

Gracie had no symptoms - no odor or oozing or butt scooting -but she did lick her butt a lot.

Just when I was deciding to get her to the vet an anal gland ruptured. Vet said she would need antibiotics and he cleaned the area. He said that the rupturing actually gave her relief. We didn't have any problems with her licking it as it healed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LindsaySF

I would go to the vet. If the fluids appear to have blood or pus in them, you will need antibiotics. The vet can also express them internally, which works better than external expression.

I would go to the vet. If the fluids appear to have blood or pus in them, you will need antibiotics. The vet can also express them internally, which works better than external expression.

Yes, someone here (I don't remember who) had a dog seriously hurt by a groomer incorrectly expressing the glands. I always have it done at the vet's.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest rubysdad
I wouldn't let a groomer touch my dog for anything other than the most BASIC of grooming needs.

I was a groomer and that is a BASIC grooming need. If you don't have that much confidence in your groomer, than change groomers or do it yourself. Every dog owner should know how to do it and do it frequently.

Guest LindsaySF
Every dog owner should know how to do it and do it frequently.

You actually aren't supposed to express your dog's anal glands that often. If everything is working properly, a dog will express its own anal glands with bowel movements and with regular grooming. It's only when there is a problem that humans need to intervene.

Guest rubysdad

You actually aren't supposed to express your dog's anal glands that often. If everything is working properly, a dog will express its own anal glands with bowel movements and with regular grooming. It's only when there is a problem that humans need to intervene.

I am not aware of any problem occuring by expressing the anal glands frequently. I have never heard such a thing and wish you could point me to an authority that says that. Dogs should have their anal glands expressed at every bath.

I agree, this is exactly what our vet told us too.

Leave nature to take it's course unless there's a problem.....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I've found that some breeds need it more frequently than others do, and do what's right for the particular dog. My one dog needs it every couple of months, and we do it ourselves...the others have never had it done in their lives. I'd know to take him to a vet if something was wrong or different.

Guest houndstooth4

I'd go to the vet's office, too. Our girl had an infection there a couple of times and she had to get antibiotic, so you may as well kill two birds with one stone if you have to.

I am not aware of any problem occuring by expressing the anal glands frequently. I have never heard such a thing and wish you could point me to an authority that says that.

Actually my vet told me the exact same thing Lyndsay mentioned. She also added that if you do it too often, it can become a serious problem that might require surgery. She advised that I should make sure there are very clear symptoms, not just a suspicion, before having his anal glands expressed.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LindsaySF

I am not aware of any problem occuring by expressing the anal glands frequently. I have never heard such a thing and wish you could point me to an authority that says that. Dogs should have their anal glands expressed at every bath.

In the book Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy, a small animal vet reference, it says routine anal gland expression should not be done in a normal dog.

Even the Director of the National Dog Groomers Association of America doesn't think anal sacs should be emptied every time. “In states where it is legal for groomers to express anal sacs, many groomers express them externally only either as a part of the grooming procedure or at the owners request. When there is evidence that the sacs are impacted, then they are not expressed and the owner is advised to bring the dog to the vet.”

It is illegal in some areas for groomers to express anal glands because it is a veterinary procedure, not a grooming procedure, and doing so may violate the state veterinary practice act.

When applying pressure to the anal sacs you run the risk of rupturing them, especially if the fluid is thick, and you only express them externally (as most groomers do). Repeated expression can damage the tiny ducts, and put pressure in the wrong place.

There is still some debate about this, but most vets today don't think it is necessary or worth the risk to the dog to have a groomer regularly express the glands in a healthy dog. You might want to do it in a dog with chronic anal gland problems, or dogs prone to anal gland issues (toy breeds, obese dogs, etc), but not in a healthy dog.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Guest Sashas_Momma

Yes definatly go to a vet to have the expression done. I remember the first time my IG began licking and scooting her little toosh on the ground. Sasha was my first dog, not being my parents and I was unaware that they needed to have it done. I ended up having to take her to an emergancy vet because it was so backed up back there that it was like tar. (sorry to be grose) But they had to give her some medicine to make her a little dopy (ok very dopy) to get everything taken care of.

Guest FireHorse

And now we know where the edge of Jet's amiability is. :rolleyes:

I took him to Dr C to get his butt checked out and she thought one anal gland felt fuller than it should have, and that an expression was in order. Now, Jet's usually mellow and tolerant of just about everything, but he wasn't real happy about everybody looking at his butt-LOTS of stink-eye being thrown around. :angry:

And then the tech stuck her finger in there. OMG :eek , the only time I've ever heard that sound before was from a rabbit. It was the weirdest combination of growling and GSOD I've ever heard. Even Dr C was taken aback by it. :blink:

Result: One set of expressed glands (Dr C said the one in particular was thicker than it should normally be, but wasn't infected) and one VERY offended dog. :angryfire Jet usually likes the ladies at the vet, and they all like him. Not this time-he went as far away from everybody as the leash would let him go and stayed there, giving everybody stink eye until we left.

It does feel better though. He licked a bit in the car on the way home, but hasn't since then other than daily hygiene. I'm sure somewhere in that doggy head he's wondering why his people would subject him to such an indignity and how he can prevent it from happening again! :lol

:lol

That was the one vet procedure Batman wasn't crazy about, too. He needed his done every @ 12 months. I'd just have them checked when he went in for his "annual" or if he was licking a bit more than normal. I have Zema's checked every now and then, too, but she has never needed them expressed in 8 years of home life.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan screamed bloody murder when he had his glands expressed, and then cowered for the rest of the visit. :( He is normally a very placid dog too.

And he kind of whipped his head around, glad they had ahold of him! I think next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is) I will muzzle him juuuust in case.

Guest FireHorse
I think next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is) I will muzzle him juuuust in case.

Yeah, I definitely will too. I didn't even think about taking it with us this time--he's usually tolerant of everything--but after that little demonstration, if he needs it again, the muzzle goes with us!

Guest rubysdad

In the book Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy, a small animal vet reference, it says routine anal gland expression should not be done in a normal dog.

Even the Director of the National Dog Groomers Association of America doesn't think anal sacs should be emptied every time. “In states where it is legal for groomers to express anal sacs, many groomers express them externally only either as a part of the grooming procedure or at the owners request. When there is evidence that the sacs are impacted, then they are not expressed and the owner is advised to bring the dog to the vet.”

It is illegal in some areas for groomers to express anal glands because it is a veterinary procedure, not a grooming procedure, and doing so may violate the state veterinary practice act.

When applying pressure to the anal sacs you run the risk of rupturing them, especially if the fluid is thick, and you only express them externally (as most groomers do). Repeated expression can damage the tiny ducts, and put pressure in the wrong place.

There is still some debate about this, but most vets today don't think it is necessary or worth the risk to the dog to have a groomer regularly express the glands in a healthy dog. You might want to do it in a dog with chronic anal gland problems, or dogs prone to anal gland issues (toy breeds, obese dogs, etc), but not in a healthy dog.

Does that make it illegal for owners to express the glands?

~Lindsay~