Semi-morbid Cremation Question

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

We got Nelly's ashes back tonight. :brokenheart And this might be morbid, but I can't help being curious about it: Nelly had a very long pin in her femur from a break as a puppy, and all our dogs are microchipped. What happens to those "things" after/during cremation?

They may be included in the remains or they may have removed them. If they wouldn't fit in the urn or box you chose they may have left the pin out. The micro chip may be just ashes now also.

Edited to add: A big hug to you. I know how I felt when we got Emmy's ashes back.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with Judy. Little different with humans and cremation. Sometimes "electronics" are removed before cremation. Pacemakers and such.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• 11 months later...

After the shock of my mother being cremated. My sister commented that we would "know" hers because of the titanium hip replacements. The funeral director said that would be treated as medical waste. We really wanted to "do" something with them,being an artist!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I got Outlaws ashes and wondered about the bones.... do they incenerate the :weep body long enough that those are ash too? do they toss what doesn't fit in the box or is this really all that remains of my baby?? I have not opened the box :(

wow this is an old topic.....

OK, since you asked or else I wouldn't reply because I know it can be a sensitive topic ... They use magnets to find and remove metal implants since those don't usually burn up. They use a sort of grinder/pulveriser to make any large bone pieces (they don't all get ashy or small) small enough to go into the box. Pacemakers and such are removed first as they will explode in the chamber and leak out toxic metals (which they do NOT do in the body, no worries!)

:grouphug to all who have lost beloved ones,

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest TheUnrulyHound
OK, since you asked or else I wouldn't reply because I know it can be a sensitive topic ... They use magnets to find and remove metal implants since those don't usually burn up. They use a sort of grinder/pulveriser to make any large bone pieces (they don't all get ashy or small) small enough to go into the box. Pacemakers and such are removed first as they will explode in the chamber and leak out toxic metals (which they do NOT do in the body, no worries!)

:grouphug to all who have lost beloved ones,

Jennifer

this is AFTER the cremation process? :hope

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

I got Outlaws ashes and wondered about the bones.... do they incenerate the :weep body long enough that those are ash too? do they toss what doesn't fit in the box or is this really all that remains of my baby?? I have not opened the box :(

wow this is an old topic.....

Actually everything that remains goes into a large "blender" that pulverizes down to about coarse beach sand. I finally opened the containers of my dalmatian and my springer (both 15 and passed within 3mo of each other)The remains are a beautiful pink ,gray and white coral looking material. Amazing it looked like my mom's ashes.It really reminded me of dust to dust....... we all have a commen denominator.

I am curious. Harley (92#) had a private cremation and one on my friends commented that those ashes were the size of her husbands. :blink: Rex (88#) had a private cremation and I got back ashes in a wood box holding between 1/2 and 2/3 the ashes I got back with Harley.

Something was sort of wrong either way. Either I got too many ashes in the filled the much bigger box with Harley or someone filled Rex's box full and disposed of the rest. :dunno

Buck's (91#) ashes are back so it will be interesting to see how they compare. :(

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We just scattered half of my Mom's ashes (the other half my Dad took to England last fall), and they were in a bag slightly bigger than Foxy's urn so about right weight wise.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh, yes, of course! Oh, I should have made that clear, please forgive me!!!!

Jennifer, very embarrassed

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Oh, yes, of course! Oh, I should have made that clear, please forgive me!!!!

Jennifer, very embarrassed

:weep :weep boy that thought just made my stomach churn and my heart break even more :( it is ok.....

It depends on the type of cremation you want.

Some places will guarantee that you will get only your ashes back. They cremate the bodies one at a time and you get back the remains of the dog you sent in. For a lesser fee, you will get back comingled remains with other ashes from bodies cremated at the same time. Usually I think you get a specific amount of ashes back. Also, if you choose a certain urn type that will only hold so much that may reduce the amount of your dogs ashes that are returned to you.

We have all our Great Dane's ashes and they *aren't* twice as much as our grey's ashes, even though the Great Danes weighed twice as much as the Greyhound. There must be some reason, though I don't know what that is. A Great Danes weighs about the same as a person (our Joey weighed #180) so that much be about what a person's ashes would be.

greysmom :D

PS - I always feel better as soon as I have their ashes back. Hugs to you!

:D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greytluv

My Dobi had a pin and wire on his leg and they gave them to me.

:grouphug When I went to pick up my Shuh Tzu's ashes they handed my a paper bag and said I didn't need a big urn, cuz there weren't very many ashes :brokenheart I was so upset my DS never lets me go get the ashes anymore.

They use magnets to find and remove metal implants since those don't usually burn up.

But most implants are titanium or other metals that have nearly no magnetic susceptibility. They still show up on a magnetometer (metal detector), so folks with implants still show up in the airport security line, but they are almost always made with metals that are non-magnetic- if for no better reason, if they ever need an MRI.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I have my Dad's ashes and 2 of my greyhounds ashes. My dad's ashes are finer and appear to be more ground up than the dogs ashes do. My dog's were cremated by a crematorium that does humans as well as animals. My Dad was easily 100 pounds more than my dogs, but his ashes aren't all that much more than the dogs are, certainly not twice or more as much. All were done privately. The gentleman here (a doctor) who does the cremation sends a wonderful card and is very reverent and careful of all ashes, including my dogs. I have looked at all of them, I'm morbid that way. :)

Guest PhillyPups

My Runner came back to me in a black tin with pink roses. It just seemed so wrong, so I transferred his ashes into two Harley coffee cans. (One for me and one for a friend he loved dearly).

When SugarBear was cremated, I requested her collar be left on her (a whole other thread on the reason).

I was taking them to Dewey for the Memorial service, and put their ashes together (it just felt right). When I went to toss some of their ashes on the beach, I felt Sugs tags in there. Her tags are in the urn at the Memorial Garden in GreyHaven along with some of Runner's and her ashes.

Their ashes were like coquina sand (sand with bits of shell). I had BarbieJade, TigerPower and Stepper all done at the same place, but haven't opened their boxes yet.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I had Outlaw done privately and he was cremated with his favorite bed. It was the one he slept on the most while he was so sick. I took it with us to the vet for him to lay on while he passed :(

Guest lgmaddox

I just picked up Gracie's cremains this past weekend. I wanted to know what went on so I researched the process. I had her cremated privately. Anything that doesn't degrade is picked out of the remains before they pulverize them. So that would include pins, dental work, etc. I think it's sort of like a "panning for gold" process. Once they pick that out, the pulverize the remainder, and that's your ashes.

I don't know if it's morbid, but I have to know the process. I didn't want what happened to Gracie to be a complete mystery to me - I asked the owner if they would show me the facilities, and they did. I think they treated her well, that was my main concern.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Guest Energy11

I have had cremains in my hands, both human and canine.

Bob's wishes were to have his cremains spread with Energy's on the beach. I did it. I mixed both. Bob's were white, with some bone chips in them (*looks like sand and shells mixed, pretty much). Energy's were gray in color, basically same consistency. The "feel" was very chalk like.

It is illegal to spread ashes on the beach like that, but I was pretty discrete, and there WERE people who knew I was doing it, but obviously didn't care and respected it. I mean, they are the cleanest they can be, and, mixed right into the sand and water.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust ..."

It wasn't an easy task, but I am glad I did what Bob wanted. I still have some here in a box, to be spread with mine.

Love and hugs to all of you who have lost your loved ones.