Jake Needs Your Good Thoughts Same Leg, Same Mystery

Here we go again. Jake woke up with a limp and firm lower back right leg.

This is what I wrote last time in late April

"He is limping on his back right leg. It is swollen on the ankle? bone and seems to have a bruise on the side, it's hot too."

I'm not seeing the bruise (yet), as that turned out to be an old scar, which was redder because of the inflamation and swelling.

Like last time, there is no indications of an entry point for infection. Since he started to heal, we didn't get a fine needle done, I really wish I had now. We aren't seeing our regular vet today since I'm not waiting, but if it swells worse I'll get the fine needle done. Today it will be Clavamox I suspect, unless they find an actual injury.

Update

The vet we saw today is stumped. No sign of entry for bacteria, but seems to be just like last time. We have antibiotics, and tramadol. He'll go back on Wednesday to see Miki when Peanut goes for her check up. At that time we'll look at doing a fine needle to see what this really is. I've send Dr Couto an email and if he has any further suggestions I'll pass those one. Poor guy threw up this afternoon when we were out. He is really feeling crappy.

Sunday Update

Jake is feeling better today. His leg is still slightly swollen, but firm and not so hot. Tramadol is his friend and he is moving comfortably. We caught this a couple of days earlier, so the antibiotics should work quicker.

Dr Couto sent me an email today and said this was PUZZLING. He said it sounds like a reccurring infection and if it swells at all to get a fine needle for cytology and a culture. He cautioned to do it now may make it worse and to do it only if it sweeled as that meant it didn't respond to the aintibiotics. He also is confident that it is not cancer. I am going to discuss with Miki that maybe he should have a longer course of antibiotics.

Monday Update

My vet, Miki just called. As I told her Jake is no better, no worse. His leg is swollen slightly just above the hock. He isn't limping, but his is on tramadol. She will see him tomorrow night and will likely do a fine needle to give us a sample for cytology and for a culture. She is also recommending a full 4 weeks on the anitibiotics. She's hopeful we will get an answer. Keep your fingers crossed.

Wednesday

Jake is doing well, swelling down and walking normally. No clear answer, but we will continue the antibiotics for an extra 2 weeks. Miki says if it flares up again she will do a fine needle aspirate right away before treating him. There is always the chance that this was a coincidence, but...................

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest argolola

Try not to worry. Lola's limp came back after being fine for a year. Try checking his pads for even a very fine pinpoint injury.

Sending prayers for your sweetie.

Sending prayers and chanting this is nothing....:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Well shoot!! I hope it resolves itself like it did last time. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh man- hope it's nothing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Janet, we're sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts to Jake.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Oh sweetheart...feel better soon honey. Sending prayers and chanting like crazy that this is just "a nothing" and that it will clear up by Wednesday. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Ah Jake feel better sweetie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thanks for you prayers, I think they are working.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Glad he is doing better. So creepy when you can't figure out what's wrong, eh?

Give him a scritchie for me, please.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update in first post

Summer-3bjpg.jpg