Nelly Has Lost Her Battle With Kidney Disease

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

After 54 days of fighting like the trooper she always was, Nelly lost her battle tonight.

It turned out that the problem with her leg/s was not an injury sustained while at the hospital last week, but a complication (edema) from the kidney disease. Although she was thankfully spared some of the usual symptoms of end-stage renal failure, she was starting to exhibit signs of neurological impairment, pain, etc, and we just couldn't stand for her to suffer. She started crying on and off Saturday morning, was doing this odd seizure-like head-bobbing thing, and this morning she fell while trying to urinate, and we had to carry her back inside. It was really hard to make the decision without the input of any of her regular doctors (because, of course, it's Sunday!), but her doc at the hospital today was wonderful.

I know a lot of you won't remember Nelly, our Honorary Greyhound... but some of you might have been on the boards back in 2001 when she first came into our lives. We were a one-greyhound family until March 11, 2001--my husband's 30th birthday. We were driving home from a visit to his parents when we found an injured puppy on the side of the highway. As it turned out, Nelly was more than injured--she was PREGNANT--and just shy of two months later she gave us the rest of our family: her nine puppies. Nelly and her kids were a big part of Greytalk for a while all those years ago. This little girl survived being hit by a car twice, a pregnancy that would have killed her and her puppies if not for emergency C-section, serious allergies, traumatic ear surgery, severe arthritis and more in her short eight years. But unfortunately she could not overcome the birth defect of malformed kidneys, and so she has returned to the God who sent her to us 7 years ago.

Fly free, sweet Angel Girl. We'll see you again.

166041484.jpg

Thanks to everyone, especially Patricia, who held my paw while we fought this the last 2 months.

And yes, my heart is absolutely breaking. My family has two big holes in it that can never be filled.

Edited by Greensleeves

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Stephanie :(:grouphug

I arrived on GT in September 2001 (with angel Maddison who was a puppy then) and remember how much I loved watching Nelly bring her puppies up :wub:

It's the end of an era, isn't it? :(

Sleep tight Nellie. You will always be remembered :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am so sorry for your loss. It was fate that brought Nelly into your lives and you gave her a home and love when she needed it most. It is hard to say goodbye to such a cherished friend. May the memories of your wonderful times with Nelly help to heal your heartache.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, pretty sweet miracle girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Steph, I am so very sorry to read this. I remember when you found Nellie in the road. You gave Nellie a beautiful life filled with so much love and care. You rescued her and she loved you both in return. She will always hold a special place in your hearts. Whistler and Nellie are together at the bridge, waiting until...

condolences.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart broke when I saw the title in H&M. Godspeed sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh Steph I am so sorry, has it really been that long (and that short) already? I remember Nelly 'coming home' and how shocked we all were with the puppy count - 9 !!!!

We will see you later Mama :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.