Do White Greys Shed More Than Darker Ones?

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I remember hearing ages ago, before we got a grey, that the lighter the fur, the more the shedding. Which is one of the reasons why we picked a darker dog. The two of us agreed that we would always have dogs with dark fur, since we had dealt with a sheddy white cat for years, and much as we loved her, we did not love constantly de-furring our clothes and furniture.

Then we met Angler, and that stipulation flew out the window :blush We were hoping he would prove the notion of greater shedding from white coats wrong, but in fact, he sheds like a wildebeest! Or...whatever. He sheds like something that sheds a lot :lol

His coat is greyt, shiny and no bald patches, he just loses a lot of it. Is this really typical of white greys? Discuss!

Guest act2redux

I have no idea if this theory is true. In my case it has proven to be. We have two of our own and have thus far fostered about 10. Only the white and ?? seem to shed as if they are being paid to produce hair!

I think you just notice it more with white dogs. My black ones shed like crazy but you notice it more on the floor than you do on your close and the furniture, especially if you're wearing dark clothes and the furniture has a pattern to it. The only white one we have is Jilly Bean and I notice her fur on my clothes but not anywhere else.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jupiterooos

I thought that maybe we just don't see it...but when we pet Jupiter, there is little or no hair sticking to our hands afterwards. We pet Angler, and there are clouds of fur flying!

Hm, I just thought of something - their fur consistency is different. Jupiter has very sleek, smooth fur, like a seal. Angler is a little poofier.

I have a mostly white girl and a brindle boy. Definitely the white fur is everywhere! But I sometimes wonder if it is because the loose white fur is more noticeable than the darker brindle. My DH used to tell people that greys hardly shed at all - no fur in the house. Then I didn't vacuum for a week to prove him wrong. Changed his tune. :lol

Guest LuvMyBonbon

I've definitely heard that theory. Bonnie is very light red and sheds like crazy. I have a friend with a black hound who doesn't seem to shed a bit when I pet him.

Guest Hoolyghans

I have two white & brindle kids (more white than brindle) and I really don't think they shed that much. I don't have a dark hound to compare it to but our previous dog was a Golden so GH hair is a walk in the park :bow

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vinny & Frosty are both red fawn....but Vinny is on the lighter side and has white markings where as Frosty has much more black in her.....Vinny sheds way more than Frosty.

Just petting them, way more fur comes off of him. :dunno

I've definitely heard that theory. Bonnie is very light red and sheds like crazy. I have a friend with a black hound who doesn't seem to shed a bit when I pet him.

Bonnie is new to your home, don't worry that will slow down.

I thought that maybe we just don't see it...but when we pet Jupiter, there is little or no hair sticking to our hands afterwards. We pet Angler, and there are clouds of fur flying!

Hm, I just thought of something - their fur consistency is different. Jupiter has very sleek, smooth fur, like a seal. Angler is a little poofier.

I wonder abut the hair type more than the colour. Jamaica has a "bunny" black coat and sheds way more than Tansi, who has coarser hair and is a fawn brindle. I don't even get much hair of Tansi when I brush (although what comes off tends to fly more than Jamaica's does), but if I just pet Jamaica, I can count on hairy hands.

Ryan sheds very little. He gets brushed just so he doesn't feel left out. The only hair that really comes off him is what ever is left of Jet's in the brush :lol

He used to shed quite a bit, but not so much in the last few years. I mean he still sheds, but noting when compared to Jet

I think you just notice it more with white dogs. My black ones shed like crazy but you notice it more on the floor than you do on your close and the furniture, especially if you're wearing dark clothes and the furniture has a pattern to it. The only white one we have is Jilly Bean and I notice her fur on my clothes but not anywhere else.

I agree. I have 2 white with brindle, 1 brindle and 1 red fawn and Chloe, the red fawn sheds like mad but you can see the white hair much more.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie (black) sheds much more than Spud (brindle).

She just has more hair in general than Spud does. I think it's about the amount of hair and kind of coat they have, rather than color. You just notice it more when a white dog is shedding on you ;)

Guest tricolorhounds

Copper -- Red -- Very thin, fine fur, hardly sheds...

Gain'er -- Red -- Very thin, fine fur, hardly sheds...

Bonkers -- Red to Reddish Fawn -- Coat is a little thicker and a tad bit longer than the other 2... sheds a little...

Savannah -- White with Red Ears and a tiny bit of red ticking on her back that is bearly noticable -- Thick, thick bunny fur, longer and thicker that the 3 red boys put together -- sheds a TON!!! We always say it's like a cloud of white fur that comes off when you brush her...

QUESTION ??? Which one do you think likes to hang out in the bathroom with me when I'm getting ready for work... work clothes being black or navy blue pants!!!

Scroll down for the answer

That's right... It's the WHITE DOG :lol:lol:lol

ABeautifulFace.jpg

Guest EMcElfresh

Well - at least with a white dog, it doesn't show on white clothes - Gordon is a red sable and it shows on ALL COLORS - trust me, on black, white, red, jeans - all of it has evidence that my dog LOVES me and my clothing. He is hairier than most greys - not in a poofy way, he's very sleek, but doesn't have a nekkid backside/tummy and I swear he has an "undercoat" like a husky....you can brush, use a zoomgroom, a furminator, whatever, get an ENORMOUS amout of hair out - and the only thing that's worked so far? Taking him to the groomers for a scrubdown bath (which he hates, we try to limit ourselves to 2-3 a yr for his sake) - even doing it myself wasn't working - not sure what magic they are doing in that back room but all his extra fuzz is gone and he looks more muscly and not as "scraggly" (because all the dirty, licked, gross extra fur is gone!) :D

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've had/have 3 brindles, one red fawn and one white with red brindle. The white definitely sheds the most! His fur is also much coarser and longer than the others too.

Our Snowy does shed bits of his coat daily but not massively - think it's just it's more noticeable on clothes and furniture it being light coloured........

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Dillymom

I've had 2 dark brindle fosters who barely shed. With Lola I could make a new dog twice a week from the hair that falls off her. Lola's hair is much softer then either foster. They seemed to have a more wirey texture. I would think it's more the texture then the color.

I've found that it isn't necessarily the color, but if they have 'bunny' fur...that really soft fur, it seems to shed more. however, I've only felt bunny fur in white and light brindle hounds :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest KateWantsaGrey
That's it, I think - Angler has bunny fur, Jupiter has seal fur (do seals have fur?). Now the new question is: do white greys have bunny fur more often??

THAT, I think is the true question! :nod

Just from my experience, it seems like the brindle's i have met have had more sleek,smooth, flat fur. They also seem to shed less. The white dogs that I have met tend to me really soft and have poofy "bunny" fur, and shed more.

That being said, Pace is white with poofy bunny fur and shed's an incredible amount of hair every time I brush him, which is every 3 or 4 days.

Guest FrostyBottoms
That being said, Pace is white with poofy bunny fur and shed's an incredible amount of hair every time I brush him, which is every 3 or 4 days.

I can vouch for Pace's poofy white bunny fur that sheds like mad....it was all over my patio....but he is oh so soft!

Frosty & Vinny are more seal-like....except...Vinny's white parts are more poofy bunny fur like! There...it's settled! That MUST be it!