Fight!

Xan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xan Arnicia Gel (thanks AGAIN Jenn) worked really well for the edema and bruising Bones had at the surgery site. Otic Nolvasan (thanks Heather) cleaned up the drainage he had. EMT gel healed up the actual surgery line.

I am sorry this happened. Not sure what the answer is for you guys, but please give sweet Brilly a gentle hug and kiss from us!

Well poo, Xan. :(

You know, I've been meaning to do some shopping at Xan's Art - looks like now might be a good time! ;)

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Just seeing this. Poor Brilly. I'm so sorry! OUCH. :cry1

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Sending lots of good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hi Xan! So sorry to be reading this. :( I'm sending Brilly lots of "get well soon" thoughts. As you know, I've been through this as well (but not with my own dog, with a visitor). If it's any reassurance Grace has healed up 110% and is as good as new. We had a good scare when her wound got infected, but her's was actually much worse than poor Brilly's. I tried the turtleneck method as well but found that it didn't cover high enough since Grace's wound was higher up her neck....however it would have PERFECTLY covered the wound Brilly has. Another vote for trying the turtleneck. FWIW, I ended up cutting about 1/3 off the leg of a pair of sweats and used that as a snood to cover Grace's wound as it healed. Might be an opting if you can sew some straps on to keep it down to cover his chest. Just a thought....

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

What did you all experience when you were handling the suture area? I think Brilly hit the wall tonight. I was trying to put a warm compress (not too hot) on it, but the Bad Cat was trying to climb under me and yowling (his favorite way to be the center of attention), and Brilly threw his head up with a snarl-bark. I decided to take the cat out of the way and leave him alone for the time being. I don't know if the snarl was at me or the cat or both of us, but he was DONE. And Pogo got up growling (instantly collared by DH). :(

Arnica is great stuff, always on hand here in Casa Blackburnia de los Bruisos. :P I'm not familiar with Otic Nolvasan. I'll have to look that up.

I had Pogo try on a weird arrangement of a one-legged pajama bottom with the waist band around the opposite front leg ... but it looked like it would be too painful to wrestle on and off, so I scrapped it. I have the same concern about the turtleneck, but I'm not going to worry about it 'til it looks like he needs it protected, which he doesn't seem to at the moment. He can't lick it, and he's not ready to try scratching it. We'll see how it goes.

I've plugged the DAP diffuser back in. We still had one bottle left. I'll move it from room to room wherever Pogo is 'til I can get another refill. We seem to be back to square 1. *sigh*

Thanks for the well-wishes!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Oh goodness - there must be something in the air to have all these fight posts the past couple of days. So sorry that you are going through this - the suture area looks painful but beautifully done. I hope that he heals quickly and that you won't need to do the turtleneck. Sounds like you have your hands full and that you need someone to come up with a good chant for you! Since I am not that creative, I will add you to our prayer chants and keep you all in our thoughts - sending gentle hugs and scritches.

Sorry to hear about the fight, Xan... 'specially when Pogo was doing so well lately...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Oh, Xan! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest LindsaySF

Poor Brilly. :( I hope he feels better soon. They did a great job of stitching him up though.

When Teagan had a wound on his lower neck, near the shoulder, regular t-shirts sat too low to cover it. I used an adult turtleneck and that did the trick. I had to roll up the sleeves though, because they were too long for his legs.

I agree with JillysFullHouse, the dogs will probably be worked up over this for a few days. Maybe even longer than that, if Brilly is feeling defensive and in pain. Watch them VERY carefully.

As for prevention, maybe they were in too tight quarters when you came in from outside? I have dogs that redirect too, and it usually happens either at a barrier (closed door, window, fence, gate, etc) or in a cramped space like a doorway or hallway. I would take the dogs out in pairs from now on, to prevent that congestion when leashing up and going out, and coming back in. Best of luck with this.

Ouch!

Suggestion: get some Betadine instead of peroxide. I bet a nurse/doctor/vet tech can explain why, but I've been told that peroxide isn't the best thing.

True....peroxide is okay using it once, but if you continue to use it, it kills the good bacteria. Betadine or a good first aid wash is best.There's a better explanation than "kills the good bacteria" but that's how I've always understood it. Good thoughts for Brilly, and Pogo too

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What did you all experience when you were handling the suture area? I think Brilly hit the wall tonight. I was trying to put a warm compress (not too hot) on it, but the Bad Cat was trying to climb under me and yowling (his favorite way to be the center of attention), and Brilly threw his head up with a snarl-bark. I decided to take the cat out of the way and leave him alone for the time being. I don't know if the snarl was at me or the cat or both of us, but he was DONE. And Pogo got up growling (instantly collared by DH). :(

Well Grace's wound was stapled, not sutured so I don't know if that makes a difference. She also had drains. I had to apply warm compresses for a week or two, and the vet assured me that I needn't be so ginger when handling her. I would take her into a separate room (or at least baby gate Fenway away from us) and I'd muzzle her. I don't believe I was hurting her, but she didn't like me asking her to stand up and stand still, etc. while I messed with her. After the drains came out I had to flush her wounds, and she didn't care for that either. She never reacted negatively (no growls or nipping) but the muzzle gave me confidence in handling her, just in case.

Hugs for everyone!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Muzzle! Shanti bit me 2x when I was dealing with her tail and belly. Pain causes them to do things they would not normally do and the last thing you want is you injured too. Plus you don't want them to think they can get away with it. Don't get too trusting too soon. That is how I got bit the second time. My error. She seemed like she did not care about me cleaning it. Wrong! Don't take chances.

I got a blue cleaning solution from the vets office and you dilute it with water. It did not sting. I can try to find out what that was if you would like. Can't remember the name for the life of me, and the bottle I have is not labeled. My friend (a vet tech) got me some in a plain bottle.

The Girls

I'm so sorry poor Brilly got hurt after everything's been going so well. Please use a muzzle when treating that wound. I've got a grey here as a foster right now because his owner was trying to treat a wound on his chest and he nearly took her face off. Obviously, it was the last thing she expected. Just take normal precautions so you can pay attention to the wound while you're treating and cleaning it, and you're not setting Brilly up for possible failure and yourself for serious injury. These guys are just so quick.