Nutritional Yeast

Xan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need the yeast at this point as I have two dogs with voracious appetites, but I feel like I should have some on hand "in case". Does anyone know how it keeps? Can, or should, it be frozen or refrigerated? I'd like to have it around in case one of them needs it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Yes, it should be fine for every day, but probably not necessary in the bigger amounts. Think sprinkling for every day, rather than cheese-sauce. But, hey! What the heck, if your dog is not well, every day larger amounts (couple tablespoons) should be good. Watch your hound and see how s/he does, I'd say. Your watchful eye is your best indicator of your hound's health. :nod:

I think it keeps pretty well, but I can't swear to how long. It doesn't last long in my house! :D Keep it dry, for sure.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Yes, it should be fine for every day, but probably not necessary in the bigger amounts. Think sprinkling for every day, rather than cheese-sauce. But, hey! What the heck, if your dog is not well, every day larger amounts (couple tablespoons) should be good. Watch your hound and see how s/he does, I'd say. Your watchful eye is your best indicator of your hound's health. :nod:

I think it keeps pretty well, but I can't swear to how long. It doesn't last long in my house! :D Keep it dry, for sure.

Thanks! I just checked out Red Star's website and this is what they say about storage, "Nutritional yeast is best kept stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in a cool dry place.".

It sounds like I can keep it on hand "just in case" without a problem!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thanks for posting this Xan! Good to know. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Minerva ate her breakfast up this morning! I had never even thought of giving it to the dogs. Thanks Xan!

And this is the girl who never would eat her breakfast? GREAT NEWS!! My God Xan, look what you've done :bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Good to know! Does it cause problems with antibiotics or antifungal medications that you know of? Shanti feels crudy lots from all the medication and goes on food bans. This would be helpful!

Thanks!

Hey...a question I can answer, I'm so excited!!!!! Yes, the nutritional yeast is fine with the meds you're talking about. Of this...I am sure :yay (does not happen very often)

I'd been following Emmy's story and read that it was helping her. Claudia mentioned how nice Clark's was to deal with, holding the Fed Ex pick up until Emmy's yeast was included, so I ordered it from them for Bryn. Thank you for sharing this info.

Here is a link to Clark's.

Thank you for posting this. I don't know how to post a link or I would have. The only thing about Clarks is they do not carry the large can(22oz) which is no big thing, but I just wanted to mention this. I just ordered again from them for someone else here. Ordered last night, asked them to please get it out right away, it's for a Greyhound who isin't eating and it shipped early this am. They really go the extra mile so it's a good source for those who can't get it locally

I am going to have to go look for it. I am guessing our health store Mother's should have it. Pasta, chicken and yeast. Meal of champions! :) If she eats, I am good!!!

The Girls

Where can I buy it? Whole foods is not open yet here. GNC does not carry it. I want it now!!!! Not in 3 days. NOW!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Where can I buy it? Whole foods is not open yet here. GNC does not carry it. I want it now!!!! Not in 3 days. NOW!

You can get it online. Someone put a link here for Clarks which is a big health food store here. I was able to get them to overnight it to Judy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Claudia, I said NOW, not tomorrow!!! ;)

I will check online. Thanks a bunch.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Claudia, I said NOW, not tomorrow!!! ;)

I will check online. Thanks a bunch.

OMG you are as bad as I am!! And I hate to break this to you...tomorrow is Sunday :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Robin, I ordered mine from HERE

It was a little over $9 for a 22 ounce can, much cheaper!

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That's it but that's a very small size. trust me...you're going to want a big one :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I am ordering the one from the site Judy gave me, thank you Judy.

Hope your highness , Polli likes it too!

The one Xan said was Red Star. This site has KAL, are they all the same? I guess if Ms. Emmy likes it, it's got to be the real deal!!!

Edited by RobinM

Man, I feel so lucky! I can buy it in bulk, and get shovels-ful at a time! :D I think it must be cheaper than what y'all are paying, too.

Mother's? Mother Gooch's? If they don't have it, something is terribly wrong! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I am ordering the one from the site Judy gave me, thank you Judy.

Hope your highness , Polli likes it too!

The one Xan said was Red Star. This site has KAL, are they all the same? I guess if Ms. Emmy likes it, it's got to be the real deal!!!

It looks to have the same ingredients Robin so it's probably the same or pretty close to it!

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lizzie is only picky in the AM...it either takes her 20 minutes or she doesn't eat at all. She always eats her dinner. Is it okay to use it just in the AM and not in a regular regimen?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I don't see why not, but you may find that once she has it you may have to give it to her every morning if you want her to eat. It's just really good vitamins.

Guest jettcricket

...Just reading this now. I will buy my baby girl some of this stuff tomorrow. Hopefully they will carry it where I work at the Vitamin Store. If not, I'll go on-line.

Guest jettcricket
Is your pup on a hunger strike? Have a picky oldster or poorly hound?

...Xan...your opening line in this thread reminded me of the old "I Love Lucy" episode where she does her Vitameatavegamin commercial....Are you tired, run down and listless? Do you poop out at parties? :lol

Sorry to get off topic, but this is a classic. I need to be humored today. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfBRRm7RgI

Edited by jettcricket

Is this not one of the best threads you've read? One "genius" throws out a suggestion and everyone's eating. What is more exciting than that! Xan is our hero in this house. She's always been Ekko's hero but it took the rest of us awhile to catch on :bow2:bow2:bow2:bow2

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg