Nutritional Yeast

Xan

Is your pup on a hunger strike? Have a picky oldster or poorly hound?

Emmy, Misty, Pearl and others have really benefited from having Nutritional Yeast added to their food, both to stimulate their appetite and also to support their healing bodies. People have been asking what it is, where to get it, how much to use and all, so I thought I'd spread the word in it's own thread.

What is it? Nutritional yeast is different from brewers yeast (for making beer) or active yeast (like you'd use to make bread). It's loaded with B vitamins, which are very helpful with helping the body to heal, and have the added benefit that they stimulate the appetite. It's low in fat, and relatively high in protein as well, and packs a real wollop into just two good tablespoons. Luckily, it tastes great (to people, too!!), very cheesy. :DHere's a link to the nutritional information.

How to use it? It's a flakey powdery stuff, so just add it to whatever you're trying to feed. Make sure it's at least damp or it will make your dog sneeze or choke. If your pup is having a hard time chewing or swallowing, or needs to be syringe or spoon fed, try blending the food with the yeast.

How much to use? Try adding a couple tablespoons to a meal.

Where do you get it? Health food stores or sections should carry it in the bulk bins, but you can order it online if not.

What exactly am I looking for? Look for Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula (or just Red Star Nutritional Yeast). I've seen it in powder and flake form, but handling the powdery stuff made me sneeze too much! :lol Get the flake if you have a choice. It's a dull yellow color, and smells and tastes a bit like mild cheddar cheese.

Can I eat it, too? Oh, you betcha!! :D Try it on popcorn, pizza, pasta, and in sauces. I make a killer substance-rather-like-Velveeta out of it which satisfies my vegan need for mac and cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches, etc..

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you posted this. Not 15 minutes ago I was struggling to get Guinness to eat his dinner. He's feeling under the weather and won't eat. I am going to look for it at Whole Foods - think they have it? Thanks!!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Whole Foods should have it. If they don't, get the manager and tell her or him to order it asap! ;)

I can't imagine why it would interfere with anything like antibiotics or ... anything. It's food. It's nutritious and tasty. It's probably fine! It's not like active yeasts that can contribute to yeast infections or candida. The link I posted has other pages with more info, too.

Sorry Guinness is under the weather! Do tell us how it goes with the yeast if you try it! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest KRKWMU

Our local Whole Foods carries it in the bulk food area. Look near the flour and other baking stuff. The nutritional yeast has really helped Bonnie too!

Thanks Xan! :D

Seems that I have the only dog that won't eat it. It didn't work for Morgan.

I've been thinking about Morgan because I know it didn't work for him. I'm so sorry it didn't. Please give him a hug from his fan club here and tell him to keep eating that roast beef

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greyglo

I'd been following Emmy's story and read that it was helping her. Claudia mentioned how nice Clark's was to deal with, holding the Fed Ex pick up until Emmy's yeast was included, so I ordered it from them for Bryn. Thank you for sharing this info.

Here is a link to Clark's.

Good to know! Does it cause problems with antibiotics or antifungal medications that you know of? Shanti feels crudy lots from all the medication and goes on food bans. This would be helpful!

Thanks!

Hey...a question I can answer, I'm so excited!!!!! Yes, the nutritional yeast is fine with the meds you're talking about. Of this...I am sure :yay (does not happen very often)

I'd been following Emmy's story and read that it was helping her. Claudia mentioned how nice Clark's was to deal with, holding the Fed Ex pick up until Emmy's yeast was included, so I ordered it from them for Bryn. Thank you for sharing this info.

Here is a link to Clark's.

Thank you for posting this. I don't know how to post a link or I would have. The only thing about Clarks is they do not carry the large can(22oz) which is no big thing, but I just wanted to mention this. I just ordered again from them for someone else here. Ordered last night, asked them to please get it out right away, it's for a Greyhound who isin't eating and it shipped early this am. They really go the extra mile so it's a good source for those who can't get it locally

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I went to Whole Foods tonight after work to get some of this for my Cool man ... who is being quite picky at times.

They didn't/don't have the Red Star brand (unless they have it someplace else in the store)... I did get a bottle of the powder. The also had another brand in flakes in bigger 'cans'. I'll try this, then may try the flakes next time -- they were a bit less $$ anyway!

I was initially afraid that Cool might not eat it because it does smell (I don't mean that badly -- it just has an aroma) .. and Cool has recently been sniffing food and not eating it, so I was concerned ... but he did give this a try and apparently liked it because he did finish his supper tonight. If he will start acting like he's looking forward to eating again and will clean his dish each meal like he used to -- I'll be sold! He didn't eat breakfast today, but I had to come home at lunch, so he did finish his breakfast at lunch.

Thank you for the information.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

<br />Seems that I have the only dog that won't eat it. It didn't work for Morgan.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not the only dog!

In the interests of full disclosure, my picky eater, Happy, ate it happily for awhile, but now won't touch it. :rolleyes:

Go figger!

She is also now turning up her nose at the tasty morsels she used to love; fish oil capsules. And yummy glucosamine tablets. What's next off the list? Parmesan cheese?? :P

Luckily for her, she's still willing to eat turkey mixed with her kibble.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

If you have a Hannaford Supermarket in your area, they carry it in the organic/specialty food section. The brand is Red Star. It's good. Cheesy flavor to it.

I make the best vegan nacho cheese with NY! I'm going to try adding it in the morning to my picky girls kibble. She never is interested in her breakfast.

Thanks Xan for posting this information. I was so impressed with the way it has helped Emmy to eat and has been beneficial to a number of greys. We have Hannaford stores near us so I'm going to look for it there. If not, I'll order from Clarks. I'm also going to print this topic as a handy guide for myself to start adding to the food. It sounds like one of those things you need to keep on hand for your pups (and people too)! :)

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Well, I am definitely sold! I got a little daring with Emmy's breakfast this morning and threw in some satin balls, now that's pretty heavy stuff compared to what she's been eating and my gosh she ate 2 1/2 cups for breakfast! I will always have it on hand.

Just a note, the brand I have is not Red Star, it's KAL Nutritional Yeast flakes and it must taste pretty much the same and the ingredients are the same. I was just able to order it on line with no problem.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well, I am definitely sold! I got a little daring with Emmy's breakfast this morning and threw in some satin balls, now that's pretty heavy stuff compared to what she's been eating and my gosh she ate 2 1/2 cups for breakfast! I will always have it on hand.

Just a note, the brand I have is not Red Star, it's KAL Nutritional Yeast flakes and it must taste pretty much the same and the ingredients are the same. I was just able to order it on line with no problem.

This is the brand I have as well KAL. It's only 6am here, and as I type this guess who is whining for breakfast?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I"m going to have to look for some. My guys aren't picky eaters, but they'd probably enjoy the taste. I like it too, so we can split a can. :lol

Years ago my friend gave it to her old siamese cat as a supplement, and also to help convince him to eat (he was really picky and that just got worse as he got older). When I watched him, I would mix it in. She had left a note for me to try it too. Goofy me just grabbed a heaping tablespoon full and popped it in my mouth. I had yeast powder coming out of my nose... :lol It's tasty though, and Xan is right that it's kind of cheesy!

I know I'll need to order, I've looked for it around here (b vitamins are recommended for migraines) but can't find it. We only have one grocery store. Food Lion. UGH. Drive 15 miles either way.... and all you'll find is.... Food Lion. Darn it, I want a Wegman's, or a Whole Foods. I've been ordering Vegemite for myself (a yeast spread- high in B vitamins) which is AWESOME (and the pups go nuts for it). If the pups love vegemite, I'm sure they'll love the Nut. Yeast. :lol

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Oh yes! My cats will eat through the packaging to get NY! They LOVE it! I can't leave a bag on the counter, that's for sure.

I'll have to look up this KAL brand. Hadn't heard of it before.

I'm so glad others have found it, and had good luck with it! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest VaGreymom

Thanks Xan for the information. Is it ok to use everyday? One of my girls is picky and I have to add stuff to her bowl to get her to eat. (cheese, yogurt etc.) Just wondering if I could use this instead on a daily basis.

Thanks-Lynda

So far everyone has told me you can use it daily and I'm using it with every meal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee