"the Spleen"

How could a girl so pretty....

Photo_081208_001.jpg

have something so yucky and large in her?

Photo_080608_001.jpg

close up of right side

Photo_080608_003.jpg

close up of left side

Photo_080608_002.jpg

The "chunky" stuff on top are the blood vessels and "things" that held this monster in place. The pathology report came back clean :)

It weighed 1.5 kg and was about 2 x 1 feet.

Bailey weighed 35 kg prior to bloating and yesterday weighed in at a lovely 32 kg. She has her tuck back and sweet little waist. She's a big Beckner girl and most people think she's a boy :blink: because of her size... but we quickly put them in their place. :lol

Edited by LadyBailey

Guest loveagrey

Holy cow! Does she feel better now? I don't know much about spleens, but what's the normal size of one?

By the way, she's beautiful! I'm pretty sure we've seen her walking in Paris when we drive through on the weekends. :)

Holy cow! Does she feel better now? I don't know much about spleens, but what's the normal size of one?

By the way, she's beautiful! I'm pretty sure we've seen her walking in Paris when we drive through on the weekends. :)

She feels MUCH better now. Played like crazy with her toy this morning. She bloated last week and when she went in for surgery, they found this massive thing. The vet told me that it was about 3-4 times it's normal size.

You drive through Paris and don't stop to say hello when you see her :eek:P Next time you are in town you should come for a visit.

Edited by LadyBailey

Guest loveagrey

She feels MUCH better now. Played like crazy with her toy this morning. She bloated last week and when she went in for surgery, they found this massive thing. The vet told me that it was about 3-4 times it's normal size.

You drive through Paris and don't stop to say hello when you see her :eek:P Next time you are in town you should come for a visit.

:eek 3 to 4 times the normal size!!!??? Good Gad, She must be relived!

We tried to stop once last summer, but DH couldn't get through the traffic and then we just gave up. He thought I was nuts anyway for stalking greyhounds. :lol

We're there pretty much every weekend. We have a trailer on 24A at Hillside, just down from Pinehurst! We do most of our shopping in Cambridge, but make the occasional trip into Sobey's, beer store, LCBO....

Can you begin to imagine the pressure that this monster put on her other organs! She must have been so uncomfortable. Kiss the pretty girl for me...so happy everything was BENIGN! :):grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Amazing what lurks beneath the surface. :blink: Glad to hear she's feeling better & it's over with.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Oh my gawd!! That must have felt so uncomfortable for the poor, sweet girl. She must feel tons better!! Here are some "glad that is out of you and hope you feel better" hugs and treats! :dogcookie :dogcookie :grouphug :grouphug

Just out of curiosity, do they feel there was a correlation between the enlarged spleen and the bloat? I can't imagine that two rather unusual and significant events are unrelated...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Pretty? That girl is beautiful!! And that sleen, my God it's huge. I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well. Carrier was watching over her for sure! Continue to feel well beautiful girl!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

your Vet lets you take pictures of removed spleens?????? I have to share with mine as I see I am not alone and neither is he!

OMG that is something and I hope she is feeling better!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest paulamariez

Holy smokes that thing is HUGE!! All I can say, is I'm glad they got that nasty thing out of your beautiful girl! Because she is far too gorgeous to have something so yucky inside of her!! I hope she's doing well recovering from that! I'll keep her tender heart in my prayers for a quick and painless recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Bailey lots of doggie kisses too!

Guest hannahmom

Well - that's one heck of a size for a spleen to be!!!!!

Is she usually that much of an overacheiver :P

So glad she's home and happy and well :colgate

YUK! No wonder she was uncomfortable and got all bloat-y! Glad that's out of her!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So so glad she's got a clean report. And the pictures are lovely, but I have to say...now is this what's for dinner when we do a home visit cause if it is, I'm just gonna take your word for it that your doggies are very happy & skip dinner. :hehe

Seriously, it warms my heart to hear a good report about that sweet girl! :beatheart

Glad to hear Bailey's recovering...I'd feel crappy too if I had something like that removed. :omg

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just out of curiosity, do they feel there was a correlation between the enlarged spleen and the bloat? I can't imagine that two rather unusual and significant events are unrelated...

Yes and no. Kinda like the chicken and the egg thing. Although, over the past few months we have thought that Bailey was looking a little "tubular" and figured that she needed to lose some weight. So we slowly cut back her food and made sure she wasn't eating too many treats, getting her exercise etc., But we couldn't for the life of us get her weight down. In fact about a month ago I weighed her at the vet and she was actually heavier! So obviously the "diet" that we had her on was not working. Her blood work was perfect, and she had a perfect physical in May. And wouldn't you know it as soon as she had the spleen removed, she lost that "tubular" look and lost almost 5 pounds. She was 77 pounds before the surgery and is now a perfect 72. We joke that she just had some lipo done - thank god we can joke about it!

Anyway, she did indeed bloat, that is a fact. but they don't know if it was because the spleen was enlarged or because the pylorus (exit from the stomach into the small intestines) was blocked. They told us that when they go in to tack the stomach, they will check the spleen and normally if it's enlarged - which in most cases it is, they remove it.

Also, I was told that...

"Sometimes in bloat it will actually twist on itself, cutting off the blood supply to both the stomach and the spleen. The fact that Bailey just twisted off the pylorus instead of twisting the entire stomach is a really good prognostic indicator and some times these guys can also twist off the blood supply to the spleen and that may have been what happened here at least partially (it could explain why her spleen was so large) or it could be that either cancer of the spleen or a hematoma (blood clot in the spleen) may have been the cause. This will be told by the histopathology of the spleen."

And since the spleen came back clean we know it wasn't cancer or a hematoma - so my theory based on what we saw in her "tubular" body is that something was going on with her spleen to cause this and over time she finally bloated.

I'm glad we can laugh about it now...I just had the awfullest feeling...having lost Dear to what we thought could've been a tumor on his spleen turned out to be a tumor on his liver instead. I'm just so glad its clean!