Our Sweet Whippet Is Going To The Bridge Tomorrow

A month or two ago I posted about our 11 yr old whippet, Comet, and his failing health. I was asking everyone how you knew when it was time to help a beloved pet to the Bridge.

I received many great responses from everyone; one of the things that kept coming up was that "you will know when it is time".

Well, we know now that the time has come.

Comet had a spinal cord injury 5 yrs ago and was paralyzed. He was saved by the UF Vet School and had a great recovery, all things considered. He always walked with a limp afterward and had some other complications, but we rehabbed him and considered ourselves lucky to still have our beautiful boy with us.

In the last few months, he has gone downward rather quickly.

We've now gotten to the point where he can not walk well at all--he walks in this awkward curled-in "C" shape. He doesn't come greet us when we come home. It's too hard for him to get up. Last night I made a roast for dinner (his favorite) and I offered him a piece and he turned it down. He's barely eating/drinking.

This morning he started having explosive diarrhea, like chocolate milk consistency...(sorry if this is grossing anyone out). Even though he hasn't been eating.

On top of this, he couldn't get out of bed this a.m. and when I asked my son to help him up so he could go outside, we found that he had urinated all over himself and his bed and was unable to get out of it which broke our hearts. Even worse, the urine was very thick, darkish and foul smelling...making me wonder if he's going through kidney failure or something.

I got all my courage together this morning and made the appt with our vet. We are going there tomorrow afternoon as a family. My oldest son and I will be in the room with Comet. My husband and younger son said they don't think they can handle that, so they will say goodbye to him and wait outside.

I've been secretly hoping that he would die of natural causes so we wouldn't have to make this conscious decision/effort because I feel like an executioner, truth be told. But even though we are all in tears, we know it is the right thing to do. Even our boys (14 and 11) have said they agree.

So please keep Comet in your thoughts. We can't tell you enough what a good boy he has been and how much happiness and laughter he's brought us over the years.

Rita, Jim, the boys, and Toby.

Comet-04.jpg

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest jurishound
:( Your sweet little boy will be grateful for your kindness and compassion. My thoughts are with you as you go through this difficult time.

I know you've had a long road with Comet. Please know you will be in our thoughts and our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am so sorry. You are doing what is best for Comet. We also have an 11.5 year old whippet and the thought of losing him breaks my heart. Support to you and your family. We will have you in our thoughts tomorrow. Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Sending my heart and prayers. Hug Comet for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest hamiesmom

Sending hugs and prayers to Comet, you and your family. Regardless of how this difficult decision is, it is the best for Comet. Give him lots of hugs and kisses. I know how hard this is, I had to do this for my sweet boy, a couple of months ago. My husband and I were there when my boy took his last breath. Even though I miss my walking buddy terribly, I know deep in my heart we made the right decision. My boy showed the same symptoms as Comet is doing now. We will keep you in our thoughts tomorrow.

I'm so sorry it's time for him to go. Sending prayers to Comet for a gentle and peaceful transition to the Bridge, in the loving arms of his family. Hugs to you all... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest teachckg

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just know you are doing the right thing.