Speaking Of Baths....

With my back problems...(need back surgery soon) I can no longer lift my babes into the tub...our walk in shower was made into a handicap tub/shower by Premiere Bathrooms for Fred...so I no longer have that option of the walk in shower. There are no wash your own pups places anywhere near us. I see pictures of people bathing their greys outside with a garden hose...is this an ok summer option for me? I just feel like the water would be so cold and there is no way the hose will fit any of our indoor fixtures so that I could adjust the water temp. Where I take BrookLynne to be groomed...it is $35.00 per large dog for a bath. Just not sure what to do. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest DoofBert

Or perhaps a Local 4 H club might have some interested folks? Maybe check with your greyhound group?

You might check to see if there are any grooming schools in your area... they might charge much less for the service (I'm equating this to what I did in college... went to the beauty school for manicures by the students)

Edited by DoofBert

Guest Nelsonismyhero

There's a new self-serve carwash that just opened by my house and apparently they allow you to wash your dogs there. Maybe there's something like that near you?

Audrey

I wash my kiddos in the backyard with the hose. As long as it's a hot day, they seem fine with the cold water.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

If you can get them a little worked up first, the cool hose-down might be really welcome! I have one that I just say, "Hose down?" to after a workout, and he leads me to the hose!! :lol

Good luck with your back!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

My adoption group has a "spa day" 4 times a year which is a fundraiser, and they charge $20 per hound for a great bath, nails clipped and grooming. They use an elevated tub with a ramp. It's well worth it to me to take my puppers there. Does your group offer a service like this? If not, it's an excellent fundraiser. :gmark

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I have an adapter for a fish tank that I put on the tap. Then I attach the garden hose to that.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Winterwish

Do you have a yard Patti? maybe a kiddie pool with warm water and a little dog shampoo? And then the hose to rinse?

That way it'd be less time in the colder water? Then a quick rubdown with towels. Would that be any good?

On a real hot day, I have washed Flossie in the yard with a hose and she loved it, but she loves the water anyway. Kerri, I haven't tried because she is not to sure of the hose and not crazy about the water. Our adoption group has Doggy Washes and we use a hose with cold water outside and the dogs don't seem to mind.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest MAXNAV
YOu can buy a cheap coupling for the kitchen sink- it is prone to leak- I wrap a towel around it and send it out the window- voila- warm water for hound bathing.

Yup. My groomer suggested buying one of these. I haven't yet, as I don't have my collie anymore, and Navi doesn't need as frequent grooming. Glad to know that these type of couplings leak, just in case I do get one to bath my grey.

Guest trevdog

I was mine with a hose all the time, no way can I get them in the tub. They get hosed down at the track after racing, so they should be used to it I would think. I just wait until the sun has warmed up the hose a bit.

Patti, if you have a sunny yard, you can fill a couple 5 gallon buckets from the house and let them warm in the sun for a couple hours. Or fill most of the way with cold water and add a teakettle-full of boiling from the stove to each bucket. I can usually get one dog done in 5 gallons or a bit more.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest act2redux

I waited for a hot day, filled the kiddee pool, waited for it to heat up a smidge, used a big cup thing to wet 'em down, and for part of the rinse cycle...then used the hose for the last bit to make sure all suds were gone. My three came thru it just great.

We fill/refill the waterbeds from the kitchen sink's faucet with a special attachment on it that's the go-between between the garden hose and warm water.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Do you have a yard Patti? maybe a kiddie pool with warm water and a little dog shampoo? And then the hose to rinse?

That way it'd be less time in the colder water? Then a quick rubdown with towels. Would that be any good?

I like this idea. And to add another idea - you can turn on the water, and lay a length of the hose on the sun for 30 minutes to an hour, and the water will be quite warm. You can use that to rinse!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

We wash our greys by hose all the time; even when it's getting pretty cool, the greys tolerate the water pretty well. If it's exceptionally cold (remember- it's Phoenix, not Michigan, so "exceptionally cold" might mean 55 F), they get crazy zoomies to warm up afterwards!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Lori

I'm almost embarrassed to say Damien hasn't had a bath in over a year!! He just doesn't get dirty or even smell. He does get his feet washed occasionally or his face. :colgate

I have the same concerns about my pups, so I bought a pump sprayer (like you would use for weed killer). It has a 3 gallon capacity and I fill it with warm water and take it outside. It works great and is very easy.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)