Lois Has Bone Cancer - How Much Pain Is Too Much?

Guest loisdad

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how hard your decision was, but it was made out of love for your precious girl. Now free of pain, she knew she was loved till the very end.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:f_red:f_red Brian, I am so so sorry.You did a very selfless thing, and Lois knew how much you loved her. Your girlfriend and yourself will be in our prayers. Please try to find comfort in the fact that you did what was best for your girl. May she watch over you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HersheysMom

I'm so very sorry. Lois was a lucky girl to have known such love in her life and have had such wonderful care. I'm sorry you had to make such a painful decision. :grouphug

I am so sorry. :candle That final act of love is so, so hard. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am so sorry to read of Lois's passing but I hope you and your girlfriend can take comfort in the fact that she's now running free at the Rainbow Bridge.

Godspeed Lois.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

This disease is nasty and terriable. My grey died from osteosarcoma on 5/1/08. It metastasized and we had to put my grey down due to neurological complications and too much pain. The x-rays of my dog's cancer showed that it ate through his entire leg and hip and was spreading. Out of the blue one day he just started acting funny and ran into a fence. Look I know from experience what a difficult situation you are going through and the only advice I can give is spend as much time with your buddy as you can. Keep her comfortable, give her lots of hugs and kisses, and be by her side no matter what the future holds. Giving her lots of love because love is the best medication. I am so sorry this happended to your hound. It happended to mine and writing this is making me cry. So I wish you the best of luck an will pray for your hound.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Work with your vet, work with your heart. You will know the right course to take. What my vet told me when Scarlett went through this was that if she needs more pain meds, then adjust the dosage. Sadly, you are not looking to extend time but to make time comfortable for her. If you can, take some vacation time and be with Lois. And give her any darn thing in the world that she wants to eat. Now I'm starting to cry.

Lots of prayers for you and Lois.

Guest paulamariez

OMG, I am soo sorry about Lois. That was so very fast to lose her. It sounds like she had a wonderful family who loved her. Remember she'll always be with you, as you carry your beloved memories of her in your heart. It's one of the hardest and most heart breaking decisions to have to make, but be certain that Lois is well and running again, with lots of greyhound friends with her at the Bridge! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending you some sad doggie kisses. I'll send Nikki, Chief and Bandit to meet up with Lois at the Bridge. They'll show her the ropes!

:grouphug

Brian I am so sorry :grouphug

Lois, sweet girl, we will see you later.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest houndstooth4

I am so very sorry! Cancer seems to attack so rapidly that it's frightening. You're in our thoughts today. hug.gif

May you find the peace and comfort you deserve. You did right by Lois. Her memories will remain alive in your heart forever! Run free sweet Lois....

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm very sorry Brian :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Naty

Brian, I'm so sorry. Lois is no longer in pain. This is the hardest thing about being owned by our hounds but its the best gift you can give her - the freedom from pain.

Guest longdogs

Having been through the distress of losing a grey to osteo I've been avoiding reading this thread. It looks like things happened for you as they did for us and there came a time when the best pain relief option is the final one. I truly believe the very worst thing is to let the pain go on beyond the point where any relief will only ever be very temporary. We do what we have to and I empathise with the sorrow you must feel.

Edited by longdogs

Guest Vinnie

I am so sorry to hear of Lois' passing. It is never easy letting go but knowing that she is no longer in pain and she is running free and waiting for you at the Bridge will help you and your girlfriend. We lost our Angel Vinnie to osteo as well and we did the amputation and had started chemo and lost him 3 mos after diagnosis - others on here have lived longer and some have even beaten this horrible disease - I wish you had had more time with your sweet girl. There are many bridge babies up there who will help her learn the ropes until you meet again. Hugs to you both.

Guest greyhoundluv

I am so very sorry for your loss. I understand the pain. We lost our Briny to bone cancer yesterday. I know it just sucks. Brindy just turned 8 yrs. old.

Guest gryhndmom

Hi, sorry to hear about your Lois. IF you can keep her comfortable until Tues the radiation will significantly reduce the pain or atleast it seemed to for my CindiSue. I would continue with the pain meds and keep her as quiet as possible. No stairs and no jumping on and off furniture. I had to keep my sofa facing the wall when I was not home . Ultimately though you have to gauge her quality of life. Is the pain constant and severe? Is she still happy? I would only take her out on a leash, even in fenced yard as you dont' want her trying to run or doing something to injury herself. A leg with Osteo can easily fracture. You love her so you will know in your heart what is best for her. I wish the best for you both.