Help Dog Bit By Raccoon

Just let dog out saw her run and raccon stopped showed teeth bit her teeth in a lil by the nose and a small cut under jaw. It bled a little not much. I washed with soap and water. she is up to date on vaccines. i will call vet on monday but is there anything else i should do or watch for? Will she need antibiotics? I can't believe this!! This is the same dog i Posted earleir about running trhough my parents screened porch. It just isnt her day.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest alannamac
Just let dog out saw her run and raccon stopped showed teeth bit her teeth in a lil by the nose and a small cut under jaw. It bled a little not much. I washed with soap and water. she is up to date on vaccines. i will call vet on monday but is there anything else i should do or watch for? Will she need antibiotics? I can't believe this!! This is the same dog i Posted earleir about running trhough my parents screened porch. It just isnt her day.

Definitely put some neosporin on the cuts after washing them as well as you can with water and a little hydrogen peroxide....wear gloves just in case that raccoon was rabid...your pup's been vaccinated, but you most likely haven't unless you're a vet! If there's pronounced redness, puss or swelling around the area (indicating infection) tomorrow morning, it merits an e-vet visit (also it would be a good idea to call them this evening just to ask if there's anything else you should watch for) otherwise, it sounds like you'd be fine waiting until Monday morning to wait to see your vet or at least give them a call to ask for their opinion.

So glad it wasn't any worse and that she's up to date on vaccines!

Guest jurishound

I would recommend that you call the e-vet tomorrow; as Jennifer S commented, your hound may need to have a "booster" vaccination since raccoons are a rabies vector. You may also have to quarantine your hound for a period of time - if this is necessary, I believe that Ohio law permits this to be done in the owner's home.

I don't think I would wait until Monday. Not with that type of an animal bite. Good luck, let us know if you would how you make out.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Raccoons can carry rabies and canine distemper, but if your girl is up to date on her shots you should be okay. Still call the Vet on Monday in case she needs a booster as mentioned above. There's also a disease called Coonhound Paralysis that's pretty scary and you should talk to your Vet about it.

From some website I found when googling raccoon bites. I'm not trying to alarm you but if some of these symptoms show up at least you'll know what it might be:

Coonhound paralysis: Coonhound paralysis is an auto-immune sickness triggered by the dog's body reacting violently to a protein found in raccoon saliva. Symptoms will show up a few days after you return from the field. The most common reaction is for the dog to get weak in the hind legs and gradually become more paralyzed. The dog may also lose control of its bladder and experience some difficulty breathing. If it's coonhound paralysis, there's not much the vet can do, as antibiotics do not work since there is no pathogen associated with the disease -- it is simply an immune system response to raccoon saliva. Keep your dog bedded down inside with plenty of water, food and rest, and it will probably get better within the month.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest Ohiogreymom

I don't think you're in any danger if you don't have any open wounds on your hands, but I would definitely want my pup on antibiotics asap.

i didn't wear gloves when washing the blood off. I didn't think about it. Now i am worried. Please don't tell me i need shots?

Rabies is tough to contract without a direct bite. Even dried saliva is not a risk. I can't think of anyone who has contracted rabies in such a manner; it is almost invariably a bite.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Hobbes had the same thing happen 3 years ago. Our vet gave him a booster shot and some antibiotics to ward off infection. I cleaned him up without gloves using soap, water and antiseptic. I checked with my doctor and as I didn't have any open wounds on my hands, it was considered safe. Next time I would probably use rubber gloves but (as I'm sure you were) I was in panic mode at the time.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

My old dog was bitten by a squirrel; I called the vet in a panic, and he said, "You know those rabies shots that he gets? They work."

What you describe sounds like a minor nip versus a serious bite. If it's right near her nose, then she's just going to lick off whatever you put on it, but if it was my dog I'd wash it well with a betadyne solution and give the neosporin a try anyway, and follow up on Monday!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Oh my word. You have had a rough day. Hope pupper and you are both fine this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

ty a;; i feel better after reading the suggestions. it doesnt look any worse on her this am. i will call vet first thing tomorrow and bring in for antibiotics. As for me i didnt have any hand cuts so i feel relieved after talking to you guys but i still will check with vet. we were suppose to bring lexie to a nursing home today. she is a thereapy dogs, but I won't to be safe till I talk to the vet. I hope she doesn't have to be quarrentined at home cause next week were were planning on going away next week and taking her to a kennel but I guess if we can't we can always go another time. I have had enough worry for the weekend. I am afraid to step out of the house now...rofl. Oh yea plus her b day is wed so if she quarentined we cant take her to the yogurt shop for ice cream...lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest LynnM

Rabies shot, ASAP. If she's up to date, it's fine, though I'd personally revaccinate just to be safe (Rabies is something you don't screw around with... if a creature gets it, there's not a darn thing you can do for it).

Other than that, I'd have a dog of mine on antibiotics (same as for a cat bite/ or bad scratch).

Lynn