Emmy's Diagnosis

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kbone

Please give Emmy a big hug from me and some ear scritches. It must be scarey to lose your sight so quickly. A big hug to you and Mike too.

I'm sorry to hear about her sight but know that we are with you and Mike as you all and Emmy learn to adapt.

Is this something that could possibly show up in her sibling? Is it Andy?

The research I've done says it's not hereditary Patti, I'm grateful for that. Andy has become her protector, he knows something is wrong so he's sticking close by Emmy's side.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest poopsie1

Hugs to you, Mike, and Emmy. She'll adapt very quickly, though. My sister's dog has been blind for several years and you wouldn't even know she has a problem (except when my sister moves the furniture :P ). It's amazing how the other senses kick in when one goes. A couple of good resource sites are www.blinddogs.net and wwww.blinddogs.com I know that Emmy cannot ask for better "parents" to help her. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Guest Tenderhearts

Hoping that her adjustment to being blind will be smooth! :hope

When I worked for my vet, we had a client with a chocolate lab who had such severe glaucoma, and even medications couldn't control it, so she went blind.

She adapted amazingly well, and he bought a ball for her that beeped that she loved to fetch. She also eagerly searched their backyard every morning for the newspaper (the newspaper boy lobbed it over the fence) and would retrieve it for him! :)

Please plant a big smooch on Emmy's lovely nose for me. What wonderful words: "There is nothing wrong with her spleen, liver or any other internal organs!! No signs of cancer anywhere!"

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Judy & Mike, sad as blindness is, I join so many other in rejoicing with you that Emmy does not have a life-threatening diagnosis! If any family can help her adjust to her loss and live a full and happy life, it will be you guys and your wonderful family and pack of houds.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest greybookends
I'm sorry to hear about her sight but know that we are with you and Mike as you all and Emmy learn to adapt.

Is this something that could possibly show up in her sibling? Is it Andy?

The research I've done says it's not hereditary Patti, I'm grateful for that. Andy has become her protector, he knows something is wrong so he's sticking close by Emmy's side.

Good boy Andy. I knew with as many hounds as you have in your home SOMEONE would step up to the plate. :kiss2

Guest whatahound

Continued prayers to all. I had a bassett hound years ago that went blind suddenly due to glaucoma. My vet at the time gave me "Living with blind dogs". It was a huge help, I still have it if you would like to read it.

Daisy was blind for the last 5 years of her life and she did great. The first few weeks were alittle tough, I think I cried for a month but she was a real trooper. She never lost her spunk or jest for life.

We even moved to a new house while she was blind and within 1 day she knew the new layout. Good luck with the transition, I bet your baby will do just fine.

Edited by whatahound

Judy-I don't know if it's been posted, but there is a great book called Living with a Blind Dog. I bought it when I brought Minnie home in January. I think you'll be amazed at how fast she adjusts. Generally it's us humans who have the harder time. :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Glad to hear you have an answer at least. You and Emmy have been in my thoughts. LOVE the bell/B-ball idea. :) Please give her gentle scritches from me.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest MAXNAV

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. I don't know you, but I'm sure Emmy will be just fine. I remember when I adopted my collie who was approx. 7-8 yrs. old. I realized once I took him home, that he had a eye problem. He wouldn't go out onto the kitchen floor, when lights were on in the kitchen, he wouldn't even turn the corner to eat or drink. I put down runner rugs for him, so the shinny white floor (not shinny any more!) wouldn't reflect in his eyes. I actually also had to change his metal bowls to ceramic so that the reflection of the water, etc. wouldn't startle him. As his eyes got worse, it wasn't as much of a problem. The one thing I made sure of, was not to move the furniture around on him, so he'd be able to navigate around as normal. His eyes were really bad at the end, but he did wonderful! Plus, he had his buddy Navigator to help him.

Navi and I will be thinking of you.

Take care,

Doreen & Navi

Guest ChancesMom

I am sorry that Emmy's sight is gone but from what I know of you and your family she will learn quickly to adapt and be back to her old self. Prayers continue to be with you.

Sorry to hear about Emmy's sudden blindness. It will certainly be harder on you and Mike than on Emmy, she will adjust in record time. I look forward to the pics of her enjoying her new bell ball. :kiss2 to Andy for being there for his sis.

Everyday-4.jpg

How is Emmy doing today?

She's having a difficult time today. She has now lost all of her vision so she doesn't even see shadows any more. I had to make the decision whether to leave her downstairs crated today while I worked upstairs in the daycare of bring her upstairs. I decided separating her from the others would be worse because then they are really curious to see her again and that really freaks her out, so I brought her upstairs. She needs a lot of help getting up the stairs and going down was impossible, Kevin had to carry her downstairs for me at nap time. When I let the dogs out of the dog room upstairs to go downstairs I turned around to find her walking in circles. She had no clue where the door was. She's a trooper though, if I call her softly and clap my hands she will follow the sound of my voice until she gets to me. We will work on stairs this weekend when I don't have to work.

I did order the book Living With A Blind Dog today and hopefully that will give me some techniques to help make her transition easier. I find myself wanting to just wrap her in my arms and protect her but I know I have to be strong and help her become the happy, independent dog she was before this happened.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytexplorer

:wave HI Judy and Mike,

I'm in Cordova this week visiting my sister and her family, and keeping up with GT! :D

Just wanted to chime in with all the others, congratulating Emmy on her good health. How old is she?

I had a cat that went blind in her senior years. She did fine! The only thing I did differently was to tap on the floor when I put her fresh food out, and did not let her go outside unless closely supervised by ME.

And one last thought----

DON'T move the furniture!

:sofa

~Pat

:wave HI Judy and Mike,

I'm in Cordova this week visiting my sister and her family, and keeping up with GT! :D

Just wanted to chime in with all the others, congratulating Emmy on her good health. How old is she?

I had a cat that went blind in her senior years. She did fine! The only thing I did differently was to tap on the floor when I put her fresh food out, and did not let her go outside unless closely supervised by ME.

And one last thought----

DON'T move the furniture!

:sofa

~Pat

Hi Pat! Wow, I hope you're enjoying your visit! Emmy will turn 10 on August 24.

Oh, Judy, I'm sorry to hear that she is having such a hard time today and I know that you are, too. I'm sure she is confused since this happened so suddenly. My Sami's blindness was gradual, so we had time to get used to it. It still broke my heart though. Sami was a cocker spaniel, so I just carried her when she needed help. It's not that easy with a grey.

You are in my thoughts. I know that things will get better for her. It will just take time.

The blog is a great idea. I will be following it to see how much she is improving. :)

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest trevdog

I'm sorry to hear this happened but relieved to hear it's not cancer. She will learn to adjust and she has other greys to help her. Just wish it was more of a gradual thing instead of so suddenly....hoping she adjusts quickly

Guest VelvetEars

Judy - talk to her. Have a heart-to-heart and tell her that you know this is scary for her right now, like having the lights turned out for no reason. Reassure her that you are going to help her learn and adapt to this dark world, and you are not going to abandon her.

And always talk to her when you're doing things - much like you would with a baby. "Emmy, I'm getting your food ready" or "Emmy, I'm going to sit on the couch." If she can hear you, she'll feel better. You could also tether her to you - obviously do the talking routine if she's tied to you!