Emmy's Diagnosis

Emmy and Mike are on their way home. Mike called me with the diagnosis, it's SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome). Emmy will never get her sight back. There is no cure. :weep On the brighter side, she is perfectly healthy otherwise. There is nothing wrong with her spleen, liver or any other internal organs!! No signs of cancer anywhere! :yay

So now we learn to be the mom and dad of a blind pup. Now that I know what is wrong I can learn to deal with it. The saddest part of all of this was she wouldn't be able to play with her basketball but today on line I found a basketball with bells in it!!! Hopefully she will soon learn to enjoy her ball and yard again.

I can't tell you all how much your prayers and good thoughts and stories have meant to both Mike and I. You have helped us both through a very long, sad day. I don't know what I would have done without you all. Thank you so much.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis for sweet Emmy, but, :yay not cancer and perfectly healthy!

She will adapt very quickly, I'm sure. Plus she's got lots of friends to help her get around the house :) I'm sure she'll be back to ballin' in no time :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am so sorry to learn of Emmy's diagnosis. I will continue to keep you guys and her in my prayers. Emmy sure is lucky to have a fantastic mom and dad like you and Mike! I' know that she will adapt quickly; she sure will have a lot of guides to help her out!! I'm also sure she could not be in a better home situation to help her learn...

:grouphug:heart

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest LadyChester

It is terrible that she's lost her sight but I am so relieved there are no other issues. Sending continued good thoughts that she adjusts well. I'm confident she will ... these hounds are SO resilient! Please give her a hug from me :grouphug

Knowing is better than worrying about all that could be wrong. I'm sorry to hear she won't regain her sight, but people experienced with blind dogs say they tend to adjust much better than we do. There are some great books and forums on the subject as I'm sure you already know.

And I'm really glad to hear she's healthy. :grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Okay, that's not so bad!! The suddenness might make it harder, but she will adjust, and you'll all be fine. You'll have one more odd-ball to add interest to your pack, that's all! :)

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest KRKWMU

Well, at least you know what you're dealing with and can figure out what to do from here. I'm sure she'll learn quickly. We'll keep Emmy and the gang in our thoughts. Let us know how she does. :goodluck

Guest MnMDogs

Oh wow. When Mork was diagnosed with PRA it was recommended on GT that I get "Living with Blind Dogs", and I highly recommend it. It must be so scary for her to have lost her sight so quickly, but I'm sure that she will be just fine. Especially with all the other hounds to keep her feeling secure.

It will be a challenge I would imagine, but Emmy is in the best hands she could possibly be in. You all will be in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest vahoundlover

I'm sorry to hear Emmy's DX but thankful it's not something more sinister. :grouphug I second the book "Living with Blind Dogs". So far Katie, my std poodle is adjusting pretty good, I'm sure Emmy will too.

Guest FrostyBottoms

I'm so happy to hear that Emmy is fine other than SARDS.....that is just a challenge, not a tragedy. Give Emmy a big :kiss2 for me please!

Guest hannahmom

While I'm sad that Emmy has lost her vision, I am so very happy that there is nothing more sinister lurking.

Your sweet girl will learn to adjust, and so will you

I bet that extra cookies will help ( her not you, although a bit of chocolate likely won't hurt you or Mike)

Kisses to sweet Emmy

Edited by hannahmom

Guest tricolorhounds

I too am sorry that Emmy has lost her sight... What a blessing though that she is otherwise healthy and will be around for many more years.

We want pics of Emmy with her BasketBELLBall :colgate

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. You'll learn her new triggers, and Emmy will probably buddy up with one of your other pups who will be her "eyes." She may prefer to be out with her buddy rather than all the dogs at once.

I love that she will have a basketball with bells :) I hope she is playing ball very soon.

Hugs,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest VelvetEars

Glad to hear it's nothing more serious. It'll require some adaptation for sure - probably more on your part than on hers! - but she'll be okay! :) And I would bet the others sense the change and step in to help her as needed. They're amazing animals.

Hugs to both of you - and scritches for the Divine Miss Em. :)

Guest boondog

I'm sorry she won't regain her sight, but I'm so glad she's otherwise healthy. She'll be fine. She has one of the best greyhound families in the world to help her.

I am truly sorry to learn of Emmy's diagnosis. I know with all the love and support in your home, she will be back on track in no time.

Hugs and continued prayers to you all.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project