What's The Basic Feel Of Microchipping On This Fourm?

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

To Micro-chip or not?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have micro-chipped your greyhound?

• Yes
    • No

All four of mine are chipped.

Has anyone ever heard of an adopter turning down chipping due to religious reasons?

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greensleeves
Creepy! I'm not in a hurry for anyone to develop any such thing, 'cause you know some people would want to put one in each of their human kids. Then pretty soon, everyone would just grow up with a chip, no biggie, and there would be no such thing as privacy anymore. The government--and whoever could hack their computers, or goodness knows who else--could simply track where you are at any time. Yikes!

Ok, so that might be a tad farfetched and paranoid, but considering the potential, the whole thought does make me shudder....

Actually, it's NOT that far-fetched. My vet recently attended a human rights seminar about slavery (in African diamond mines, I believe), and said that there has been talk of warlords using GPS chips as a further means of control. I think it's perfectly appropriate to find that creepy.

That said, our DOGS are all chipped (AVID). They wear collars with tags, too, of course, but we're very aware of ID issues, since Nelly was a collarless/unchipped stray. That worked out great for us, of course... but if she'd had some way of IDing her, she could have gone home. Seven years later, I still wonder about her first family and wish I could tell them about her.

For years, we never registered them, since it was an extra fee, and we knew they could identify the clinic where the dogs were checked.

...And then I was at the clinic one day when a family brought in a dog they'd just adopted from a local shelter. She was chipped, but (like us) her owners hadn't *registered* the dog. When I heard my vets tell them, "If you call the company, you can have the chip re-registered in your name," my heart went in my throat. Came straight home and called AVID to register all eleven of them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Drafters

Draft was chipped by the adoption group. We've actually had to use it, and it's the greatest thing! One day, DH was outside in the shop visiting with a friend, and let Draft run around on the raised yard next to the driveway. That part of the yard wraps around the front of the house, away from the shop. For some reason, DH (and in this case it does stand for Dumb Husband) forgot Draft was up there, or thought that he wouldn't be smart enough to just walk around the front of the house. Anyway....so DH comes in the house after a while, and I asked where Draft was. You can picture the look of pure horror on his face: "OMG, what have I done?" So we both took off in opposite directions down the street looking for him. Pretty soon I got a telephone call from the chip people. They connected me with the person who called, and that person told me where he was. Luckily, he was only a couple of blocks down the street, helping the neighbors with their yard work. We think he had gone to visit his friend Penny (a golden retriever) who used to live across the street from these people. Instead he saw them, and decided they could use his help. In any event, he was found promptly, thanks to the chip.

Guest greyvettech

I have seen first hand, at work, that so many pets find their way home just because of a microchip...It is so worth it!! I got my girls chipped right away :colgate

Guest Bethf03

I agree with the majority, microchipping should be done. We have proof evidence that one should have it done before bringing your dog home. We had ad incident where our bridge boy got lose right after we brought him home, thanks to the chip, we were contacted, (with a very discerning lecture), and we got our boy back within a day. :banana

• 1 year later...
Guest GreyFan09

Our dog came "pre-chipped" from our adoption group. They make sure all of their dogs are chipped before being adopted out.

Guest burgerandfrey

Our first grey was not chipped, but when we adopted two greys last Summer, they were already chipped by the greyhound rescue.

Guest wdlndgreasil

I disagree with all the statements that the scanners don't work between companies. That may have been the case several years ago but not now. Most vets will stock a universal scanner that can scan all different types of chips as well as scanners for 2 or 3 of the main brands people use.

Evie has a AKC CAR chip [it was free when I did her CGC test] & it was easily read by an EU scanner when I took her to Europe about 5yrs ago. Evie also has an EU Pet Passport. Most of my other dogs had AVID. ADVID does charge a $5 or so fee to update info [which could be costly if you move frequently].

With AVID you can also go and buy individual chips & "do it yourself" - both standard & international chips. When we had the litter of puppies, I purchased international chips for all the pups & my vet came over & helped chip all of them. Simple!

Guest Bang_o_rama

Not sure whose chip Bang has. A reasonable up-front fee should buy one pet's lifetime of the service. I find it pretty sleazy to charge an annual fee to keep the pet in the database. It costs microcents a year to store a few hundred bytes of data for a decade or two. It would cost more to go and purge the record.

~D~

Edited by Bang_o_rama

Guest mowreyAZ

I believe in microchips for many reasons- First when DH and I adopted our greyhounds we lived out in the desert and even though we lived close to the entrance of the subdivision there were still areas open to cotton fields, abandoned mines, and the mountains. Then when we moved, the area we settled in is outside town limits so loose dogs/ animals of any sort are surrendered to Capital area rescue groups/ taken to the county holding area where someone might think about checking for a microchip. If either one of our girls ever got loose I'm sure AVID would be first to respond then the local greyhound group, then county.

But I have read or heard stories that many shelters will only surrender/ return a dog or cat to the owner on record if they scan and find a microchip. So that was the third and most important reason of all.

Guest kydie

all mine are chipped. Here the info is sent to the county and the dog is issues a lifetime licience so the vet keeps the info on file, they wear name tags, and a county licience is on file :)

Edited by kydie

Guest Drumhellergrey

Mine is not "Chipped", but I see no reason not to do it. He has his tattoo, and hopefully if it ever came done to him being lost, that would be enough to get him returned.

Guest BorzoiMom

If you want your pet back, get it chipped and keep the info current. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Katie has 2 chips to cover the different frequencys, and Dutch has one from his adoption, contact info is the adoption group. I'm fine with that because that is the first call I will make if he goes missing. While I'm searching she can get locals together for me.

Guest Zelsdad

Can't imagine why one wouldn't. There have already been two or three lost greys in the area and none of them were chipped, making it difficult to trace back to the owner. It is a matter of course here in Southern California. running around $20. Most of the adoption groups include it.

OK, you all have convinced me about chipping. I’m paranoid about Bella slipping her collar, so we keep her tags on a separate collar, which we put below the martingale collar (so that if she slips that collar it won’t pull the other with the tags off). Since we currently live in a big apartment building with an elevator, even if she slipped out the apartment door she could only go down the hallway, but looking toward the future, who knows where we’ll live.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest CDNgreys

my dogs are not chipped but all of my indoor cats are....included in the adoption fee.

If you move please remember to inform the chipping company of the new info!!!!

Edited by CDNgreys

We had ours chipped on her first vet visit after we adopted her. We would never want to take the chance in case she slipped her collars.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

• 6 months later...

years and years ago before micro chipping my salukis were tatooed w/ their breeder's ss# on their inner thigh. how times have changed, no one would ever think of having their ss# out on their dogs these days! :o

my greys are microchipped, the humane society did it and scanned the entire pup before implanting a chip just to make sure.