Penile Discharge - Ack!

I don't know how to phrase this delicately. My male (duh) greyhound has a thick, white discharge from the end of his penis. I noticed it last night and will be calling the vet when she opens this morning. In the meantime, has anyone ever had this happen with their greyhound? As far as other symptoms - nothing. Eating, sleeping, actvity levels, voiding - all normal. Doesn't appear to be in any pain or distressed. My vet is somewhat grey savvy, thanks to my crew, but I was hoping for some information before heading in. thanks so much.

Cindy in MD

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest SoulsMom
I don't know how to phrase this delicately. My male (duh) greyhound has a thick, white discharge from the end of his penis. I noticed it last night and will be calling the vet when she opens this morning. In the meantime, has anyone ever had this happen with their greyhound? As far as other symptoms - nothing. Eating, sleeping, actvity levels, voiding - all normal. Doesn't appear to be in any pain or distressed. My vet is somewhat grey savvy, thanks to my crew, but I was hoping for some information before heading in. thanks so much.

Cindy in MD

How thick is it? Soul gets a white discharge also, but not a lot. Usually when he's really happy and we're out doing stuff. I was worried about it, and had the vet check it out. He said it was just his "boy stuff" :P

Guest FrostyBottoms

Was he happy? Excited? I was shocked to see this on Vinny too, but everyone here on GT assured me it was just

ummmm...."baby batter" or I guess more like puppy batter. Good luck, I hope it isn't an infection but if it isn't stinky it probably isn't.

Guest koolaidnconner

Conner has that too, just mentioned that to the vet yesterday cause he also has a peeing problem. Not sure what it is as of yet

Drop or two a couple times a day can be normal. More than that indicates a sheath infection -- easily treated. When my dogs have had one, I usually take them to the vet so the techs can get everything extremely clean, then proceed with any prescribed meds and repeat cleanings myself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That seems normal to me. My boys get this from time to time.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My boy gets it all the time and takes care of it. Nothing to worry about in small amounts. Every night before bed, he does his "grooming." We're crude and love potty humor so we call it "d--- licking hour." :D

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest loveagrey
My boy gets it all the time and takes care of it. Nothing to worry about in small amounts. Every night before bed, he does his "grooming." We're crude and love potty humor so we call it "d--- licking hour." :D

:lol Sorry.... That's funny....

Guest SoulsMom

:lol:lol:lol I'm stealing this! Soul does the same thing . . . . .

Guest FrostyBottoms

Big Vinny too! :lol

Yes, Merlin likes to set aside some good fun d-licking time and is very thorough and noisy :rofl :rofl

He had a UTI in January, and since then he's also had a sheath infection which was treated with antibiotics. He's gotten a sheath infection twice in less than two years. Of only he could attend to his front BEFORE he attends to his behind, instead of the other way around :rolleyes::P

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Yes, Merlin likes to set aside some good fun d-licking time and is very thorough and noisy :rofl :rofl

He had a UTI in January, and since then he's also had a sheath infection which was treated with antibiotics. He's gotten a sheath infection twice in less than two years. Of only he could attend to his front BEFORE he attends to his behind, instead of the other way around :rollleyes: :P

they really should learn to wipe front to back :lol

Guest jupiterooos

Big Vinny too! :lol

Jupiter does it too - I swear I can hear him singing quietly "It's the most wonderful tiiiiiime of the daaaaay!" Seriously, I wish he'd apply that kind of concentration and effort toward learning his obedience skills.

this thread is cracking me up.

Cindy, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets to be a lot, or if it looks or smells funky, call the vet. But as you can see - it's perfectly normal to have a small amount. I think it's just the lube.

Ew. I'm grossing myself out now.

I appreciate all the feedback. I did call the vet because this was the first time I had seen it. We have had him for almost 4 years and he is almost 8. I guess that he is either going thru delayed puberty (if you knew him you wouldn't be surprised) or a mid-life crisis! At first, I wanted to know if he had been skanking around! The vet's office requested a "swab" and urine sample. That was fun. I am now waiting to hear from them. I guess, if I have to have problems with the pups, I would rather have some that are more interesting! I will keep you posted. thanks.

Cindy

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My boys get it too. Totally normal.

In our house, everyone tends to clean everyone elses. Uber is particularly interested in Atlas' since he has to clean it at least twice a day for him.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Vet just called. No sign of infection. I am just supposed to keep an eye on it - yuck - and bring him in if it persists or gets worse! Thanks for the reassurances - I would be devastated with there was really something wrong with my heart dog!

In our house, everyone tends to clean everyone elses. Uber is particularly interested in Atlas' since he has to clean it at least twice a day for him.

ah, yes. this is not a "self serve only" house either.

Guest SoulsMom
Was he happy? Excited? I was shocked to see this on Vinny too, but everyone here on GT assured me it was just

ummmm...."baby batter" or I guess more like puppy batter. Good luck, I hope it isn't an infection but if it isn't stinky it probably isn't.

Ewwwww! "Puppy batter" . . . . :lol:blush

Guest jupiterooos

ah, yes. this is not a "self serve only" house either.

Here Angler will sometimes clean up for Jupiter, but never the other way around. Wonder why that is? Angler is the undisputed boss dog.