Hershey's Had A Setback

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

Hershey was hospitalized again on Sunday night, with a fever, complete loss of appetite, and very low white blood cell count. The first thought was that he either had a bad reaction to his last chemo treatment (Doxorubican, which is known for bad side effects, though we did pretreat) or that his WBC was low due to the treatment, and he then developed in infection as a result. He's spent the last few days on IV fluids and antibiotics.

There were many variables going on at the same time - the same day he had his last chemo we had also stopped giving his Prednisone. Pred helped him so much before, but the chemo protocol calls for gradual reduction in dose and eventually weaning off of it. We are making an exception in his case. He was injected with Pred on Monday night, and still he would not eat, though his fever was down. The techs called and told me he was shaking in the hospital and wouldn't eat for them. At this point, I demanded that Hershey be released so that he could come home and be put to sleep, and had called our primary vet to arrange for an at home euthanasia for today. I really thought enough was enough. I'm sure the hospital thought I was a madwoman. Their suggestion was to come to the hospital and visit and maybe I could get him to eat. Well, when I got there, I sat with him and he did eat for me - I came again and fed him dinner and he ate dinner! And he wasn't shaking. He looked ten times better than he did the day before.

I got a call last night that his WBC had come up, but not enough to make it safe to discharge him. That's the call I'm waiting for now. I really hope he can come home today. His discharge papers are all written up and we are just waiting for bloodwork!

At any rate, he had to miss a chemo treatment to recover, and now he won't even be brought in to attempt one for another week. That's okay, he needs a break I guess - and we are leaving him on Pred and taking Doxy out of the protocol or there may be another drug we can substitute. He was just fine with all of the other chemo drugs and had barely a side effect. I can't believe he rebounded so well yet again - what a strong boy he is. And after talking to my new friends on the lymphoma board about this, it seems it's not unusual for hospitalizations and setbacks to like this happen during the protocol. It's just pretty darn scary when it happens to your dog!

ETA: I just got a call - I can pick up my baby boy in about an hour :colgate

Edited by HersheysMom

I wish there was something to say that would make you feel better. I can't even imagine what you and Hershey are going through. All I can say is that he remains in our prayers. I hope he gets to come home so he can be with you which is where he belongs.Please give him a big hug from us.Stay strong

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sorry to hear that Hershey has had a setback and is in the hospital :(

It was the doxorubacin that Darcy had a reaction to aswell (and which put her in the hospital). She was in for almost a week on a drip and then came home and didn't eat properly for nearly two weeks...but thats all in the distant past now as it was back in January.

Sending best wishes for Hershey and for you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Carla

Oh Carolyn,

Hugs and prayers to you and, of course, Hershey.

Hershey will feel better at home and will rally.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Lymphoma is a real roller coaster ride. The survival data are better than for other forms of cancer, but the ongoing chemo takes a lot out of everyone.

Hugs to you both,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

So glad to hear that he's coming home. Sending lots more prayers and light his way... :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Congratulations! I'm sure Hershey will be as thrilled to be home as you will be to have him. Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Hershey too.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Sending more prayers for precious Hershey. I am so happy he is coming home...hug him for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Chemo has so many ups and downs. I hope Hershey rebounds quickly, and does well when you get him home. Sending lots of prayers to you and your boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Awww Carolyn, Give him extra scritches from us. I hope he is feeling better. We think of him constantly.

Guest HersheysMom

Thanks so much everyone - yes, he's doing better today. I stayed home from work just to make sure he was really okay. Of course I broiled him a NY strip steak last night, but today he ate actual dry dog food. He's on low-ish maintenance dose of Prednisone which seems to still keep him happy and hungry, but he doesn't constantly have to go out to pee :)

We had a three day trip scheduled with the dogs this coming Sunday-Tuesday. Looks like we may still be able to go! Then he goes in next Wed for a bloodwork recheck to see if it's safe to proceed with chemo.

Guest gretzky

Oh Carolyn, I'm just seeing this. Hooray for Hershey! I'm glad he's doing better so you can get away for a few days.

Guest Vinnie

We are so glad that he is feeling better. We know that when our Angel Vinnie was going through the chemo, the Doxorubican is the one that they warned us would be the hardest on his system. Thankfully, none of the chemo's made him ill - if anything, he was hungrier after each session. We are glad that they were able to change his meds and chemo schedule around for his needs. Keep your chin up, we know how hard it is and what a roller coaster ride you go on, and how every day you feel like the mole in that whack-a-mole game. But the fact that you said he looks better and has a wonderful appetite when with you says volumes. Keep up the good work Hershey. We hope you all enjoy your puppy outing.

Guest KRKWMU

Go, Hershey! :yay I'm just now seeing this thread. I'm so sorry he had such a bad time. All of the chemo meds are such a double-edged sword. They seem to make our hounds sick, but at the same time, they are needed to fight the cancer.

Does your vet know what they could substitute for the Doxorubican? I'm sure there is something out there that won't bother Hershey's system as much. :goodluck