Concerned About My Greyhound After Dental

Guest Rosie_Dozer

My Rosie had a bad reaction to anesthesia , she was much more sensitive than we thought . We had to get her up and moving to wear it off. It was very scary she went in for her dental on a Saturday afternoon and it was Monday afternoon before she started getting back to normal. I'm so sorry you and your baby had to go through this.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no advice to give but wanted to say I am keeping you both in my prayers. Hopefull it is just a odd thing and it is taking an unusual amount of time to clear from her system. :hope

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Finally, I do believe she has "turned the corner". Slept through the night last night (hooray!), was able to get up and outside unassisted and back inside with minimal help. That wore her out and now she is sound asleep so I will give her a little time to rest before I offer her some breakfast.

That's good news!

Don't second guess yourself - if she was otherwise healthy, anesthesia should not have caused a problem even at her age. She has a clean mouth now & that is important. I know in my girl's case, it was stress & pain that caused all of the other problems. Dr. Feeman (feemandvm here on GT) helped me formulate a plan with my new vet that worked beautifully.

I hope she's right as rain by this evening.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so glad that she's improving! I agree that you shouldn't second-guess yourself - bacteria from bad teeth can cause all kinds of problems throughout their body. There's no way you could have predicted that it would go this badly, either.

so thrilled to hear she is walking!!! geez, this whole thing was just so scary!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I was worried too... so relieved to hear she's on the mend. Phew. Thanks for the update!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest paulamariez

Keeping your poor sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers. This is really scary to me, since I've got Bueller scheduled for a dental on Friday. And I was nervous to start with!

I went home at lunch and found that she had nested her bedding so she had to stand up to do that - I take it as a good sign. She got herself outside and back inside on her own 4 legs, but she is quite shakey on those back legs, as though they are going to give out from under her if she stands just a moment longer. She came back inside and flopped right down on the bedding, I still have her set up in the kitchen since it's the first room you enter when you get into the house. She does not have the strength to go any further and I certainly don't want her to attempt the stairs to go downstairs (finished basement, where my dogs usually hang out during the day when I am not home).

So glad to see a steady improvement. It will probably take a couple of more days for her to return to normal. What a frightening experience for both of you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so glad that your girl seems to be improving but, gotta tell ya--your vet never should have released her that in state. I can't believe that even after you called they never asked to see her again. Just hard to believe that it was never suggested to you to have her readmitted for at least (and I mean AT LEAST) IV fluids. and monitoring. I would be on the hunt for a new Dr. May I ask where you are located? I would be hard pressed to find a Dr in my area that is still using barbiturates.

When our 4 yr old, Rita, had her dental a couple of weeks ago, the vet personally called a day or so later and asked how she was. Her dental was completely uneventful, too, and she was truly wide awake when we took her home. Now, *that's* the kind of vet I hope you can find. Your current one is in total denial about the condition of his or her patients; saying she's fine is crazy. :crazy (Sorry to be so judgmental, but really....!)

I just remembered -- we had a 12 year old old who had an abscessed tooth extracted even though she had a bad heart arrythmia. She was also fine when she came home the same day.

What exactly did the vet use for sedation/anesthesia anyway? Her reaction has high-dose ace promazine written all over it.

Marcia in beautiful South Carolina (and who appreciates her great new vet there)

Guest DaffyToons

I am so glad she's doing much better! :yay I know the vet's office gave you the runaround when you asked them what type of anesthesia they used, but it would be good to get that information for your own records so that the next time she has to go under (if ever), you will know what kind NOT to have administered. You could also find out how much was given to her, because maybe that was simply the case: too much anesthesia, even if it was the right kind.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that she's up and around on her own!!

Guest Laura76

It id amazing to listen to your problems with this vet. Sounds like a lousy office. Zoey, my 7 year old greyhound just had 4 teeth pulled not even a week ago and a full dental and only came home with antibiotics. She actually got them at the office visit the week before. She came RUNNING down the hall so happy to see me when I picked her up. Her dental ended up being late in the day and was only out of surgery for 2 hours and was fully awake when I picked her up. She is having some issues with refusing to eat though. I know she doesn't hurt because she ate Darryl's hard normal food over the weekend.

However, Darryl has Osteosarcoma and we only have a few weeks left with him and I think she can tell. They have ALWAYS shared the same food bowl. They refuse to eat separately. One will eat while the other one stands behind and waits their turn. They are strange my two. But I think she knows. She refuses to eat. But tonight I put a whole bunch of my Iggys food in a big bowl, with warm water and a Nutro can of desert food and when he came over to nibble, she INHALED it. So, I know she is hungry.

Anyways...good to hear she is slowing on the mend. I hate hearing or seeing any other grey in pain.

~Laura

The strength in her hind legs is still not all there. She's definitely better, but she can only stand up so long before her back legs get all shakey and down she goes. She attemped to eat dinner standing up, but then her hind legs gave way so I sat her bowl down with her and she finished. I hope there's not something else going on what is causing the weakness in her hind legs.

Such tiny steps....I was really hoping when I saw your name as the last post that it would be much better news. But still, she is better than she was, and we just have to keep hoping that each day brings steady improvement.

Let us know. We're waiting for the post that says she's back to normal.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Glad to hear she is better. Hope every day brings more of her strength back.

FWIW, it takes my Joseph a couple days to get back to 100% after anaesthesia -- and he is a young robust critter.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest boni923

Very, very good news, but I think now you can go looking for the new vet. One with more compassion & understanding and maybe even more grey knowledge. :goodluck