Stanley Has Been To The Vets

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello :)

His temperature has been OK today, so thats the good part of the update.

The other part is that he ate his dinner this evening and then threw it all up about 20 minutes later. This really doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction :(

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Poor Stanley...it's a tough road, with the ups and downs. I hope he's feeling better soon.

In the pic you posted earlier his skin looks a little red, probably from the fever, poor baby.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hello :)

His temperature has been OK today, so thats the good part of the update.

The other part is that he ate his dinner this evening and then threw it all up about 20 minutes later. This really doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction :(

:cry1

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

We've been to the vets again. The vet isn't very happy with him really and used the words 'not responding' to treatment. We did have The Discussion but because Stanley was very interested in eating a big peice of liver treat (and his eyes were all giddy and happy as he was munching it) we've put The Discussion and The Decision on the back burner, just for a short while and brought him home with yet a different medication (Tramadol). I don't want him to be in pain and there's no doubt that he isn't as comfortable as he was even a week ago so if the Tramadol can do it's stuff thats fine but if it can't, there's nothing else we can offer. Part of me said we should have made the final decision whilst we were at the vets today but I was so unprepared and I want him to have this final chance, even if it's only a day or two, where he can have all his favourite foods and lots of cuddles. He's such a sweet dog :(

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Poor Stanley, feel better soon Sweetie.

Hugs to your mum & dad, and scritches to your pack,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Hoping your sweet boy will respond well to this medication and keep his meals down. Tramadol has worked quite well with several of my greys who had pain issues. Surrounding Stanley with loving light for his highest good. :candle:hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I can't really say that the medication has turned Stanley into superdog or anything (yet) but I don't think he's any worse today. He spent some time outside earlier and enjoyed a tripe stick and he's just helped me eat a beef burger. I took some pics.

stanley290408d.jpg

stanley290408b.jpg

stanley290408f.jpg

stanley290408g.jpg

stanley290408k.jpg

Sending lots of prayers! Quite a few vets underdose on tramadol. I hope he has the correct dose!

Diane, what dose do you recommend?

One large bowl of soaked kibble mixed with one snipped up pork escalope and a quarter of a tin of chicken soup has been eaten with gusto :)

I *think* the Tramadol *may* be helping a little bit now. I wonder if the effect gets better over time. Does anyone know?

Just checking in from Italy to see how Stanley is. What a sweet boy and his eyes do look like he is still interested in what is going on. Sending lots of prayers for Stanley. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Somehow I missed this thread before today. Stanley looks like such a gentle soul in his photos and seems very content and happy. Hobbes was given 50 mg. of Tramadol twice a day and we saw huge improvements within a day or two. I have read somewhere that they can take 100 mg at a time but someone else might be able to advise you on the dose amount. If his stomach is getting upset, you could try giving him 10 mg. of stomach medication such as Pepcid or Zantac about 20 minutes before eating. With luck all this will make him more comfortable.

Hope this helps - I love Stanley's beautiful face. :wub: Hugs to him and a great big hug to you. :grouphug May Stanley have many more quality days, even if his back legs are a bit wobbly!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest SquanHound

I am so glad to hear that Stanley is responding well to the Tremadol. Please give that sweet face a kiss for me :wub:

Edited by SquanHound

Stan has been back to the vets this afternoon. I was able to report (and the vet could see) that he was a little more mobile and was able to move in different ways now. For example, twice today, I've seen Stan in a play bow type position. He wasn't play bowing but he was in that position - to lick his foot or the bedding - and he'd definately not have been able to do that a few days ago, so thats good.

But - because things are never simple and because I think we might need to make a TV programme along the lines of Faulty Towers but with a veterinary twist - as we went into the vets room, Stan managed to stub his toe under the door and promptly bled huuuuuuuuge pools of blood all over the floor and then got it on his chest when he lay down in it :eek So he came home with a blue bandaged front left foot :rolleyes::lol Even the vet was impressed at how much blood he managed to pump out from such a tiny wound in such a short space of time :rolleyes:

Other than that little diversion, Stan had his temperature taken and it's still a little higher than it should be so he's had a change of antibiotic.

He now has three doses of medication in the morning (antibiotic, pain killer, steriod) and four in the evening (as morning, plus thyroid med). I have stocked up on ham, hot dog sausages and such like, to hide tabs in :rolleyes:

But Stanley fights on :inlove

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Stanley, dear, it's appropriate to have wound while in the vet's office, but not create one in the vets office :yikes:

I'm glad to hear he's moving about a little bit better. I hope his temp comes down to normal soon.

Thank you for the update.

Vets offices are dangerous places. :rolleyes: My boy went in last week for a chest xray & ended up with stitches on his foot. They have no idea how or what he cut himself on. The vet is wondering how this breed ever makes it to their 1st birthday! :lol

But good news for Fighting Stanley - keep up the good work! :yay

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Just catching up on the Stanley saga! Glad to hear he is responding to the Tramadol. Sugar switched to that for her arthritis/bad back end after years on Metacam, and it seems to be working well for her. I like that I can give her and extra dose if she's having a bad day. :bighug:kiss2

My Stanley, you do know how to make an entrance at the vet's office. Good news to see that Stanley is moving a bit better and the fever is down a bit from before. Hope things continue to improve for this sweetheart! :wub:

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy