Hobbes

Fiona3

It is with a very heavy heart that we had to send Hobbes to the bridge yesterday. He had a rapid decline during the day and when it became clear that he could no longer stand and was struggling & uncomfortable, we decided it was time to set him free. He spent his last day sleeping on his favorite bed in the sunbeams, eating special treats and food, and getting pampered and loved.

Hobbes came to us in Jan. 1997. When we went to pick out our first greyhound we were captivated by a tiny, shy brindle girl and a gorgeous, outgoing large brindle male (who kept poking us for attention thru the bars of the cage). They could not have been more different in personality and looks. We took them out for a walk and it was poetry in motion. Hobbes was tall, Dylan was tiny but they both walked in the exact same cadence in a bouncing trot. She seemed to gain confidence from his calm presence. The team of Dylan and Hobbes was born and we adopted them both. Hobbes and Dylan were inseparable and never far apart. They raced around our yard together, slept near each other & became each others shadow. When Dylan was diagnosed with cancer in 2001, Hobbes always came with her for her visits and treatments. After she passed on, he never formed that close relationship again with any of our other greyhounds.

Dylan & Hobbes

dylanandhobbes001.jpg

Hobbes has been a gentle giant, an easy-going mellow boy who was always happy to be with people. His favorite things were going for rides in the car, especially on Sunday morning to get part of a croissant as a treat. He loved going to the beach, meeting other dogs, especially other greyhounds. If you said the word "leash" he would start spinning and jumping in place because he loved to be out trotting along exploring the neighborhood and meeting people. He loved to lie on his bed in the sunbeams and just snuggle into the soft covers.

HappyHobbes8-13-1.jpg

We have had 11 wonderful years with a truly special dog. I will miss his gentle nuzzling, his beautiful brown eyes, his ears perked up to listen for food, his tucking up against me when I sat on his bed, his head resting in my lap. He has been my companion, shadow, soul mate, comfort and confidant. And he has lived his life with us with so much grace and dignity. I can't imagine my life without him and I feel the heartache and longing for him as I look at his empty bed. Although we knew this day was coming, it is never enough time, it is always too soon to say goodbye.

My beautiful Hobbes, you can run to the bridge now. No longer will you wobble or fall. Dash along to find Dylan who has been waiting for you all this time. I will be with you again someday - save me a nice warm spot where we can cuddle.

HobbesDec27a.jpg

I will love you forever!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really sorry to read this :cry1

Sleep tight sweet Hobbes :beatheart

:f_pink

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest argolola

My heart sank when I saw his name in remembrance. I am so sorry for your loss. What a precious boy. I am crying with you.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

Guest greyt2love

I am so sorry for your loss of Hobbes. f_yellow

Run free, sweet boy, and find your sissy. :gh_run:gh_lay

Edited by greyt2love

Guest tampagreymom

I am very sorry for your loss. You wrote a beautiful tribute that brought tears to my eyes. We never have enough time with them.

:f_red

I'm sorry.

Godspeed, sweetest Hobbes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyhoundbaby

Your tribute brought tears to my eyes - it was evident how much Hobbes was loved.

May you find comfort in the love of friends and peace in the many warm memories you will always have of Hobbes.

Run free sweet, sweet hound - :gh_run

What a beautiful tribute. They sound like they were quite the perfect pair. Godspeed, Hobbes.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hobbs was definitely a special boy. Godspeed sweet boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend. I know there is a grand celebration going on with Hobbes and Dylan being reunited. Together again, romping and playing. Run free Hobbes. may you all find the peace and comfort you deserve. I keep smiling at the thought of that party!!!!

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Carla

I am so sorry for your loss. Hobbes is painfree at the Rainbow Bridge together again with Dylan and he is smiling down upon you thanking you for all you did for him.

Godspeed sweet Hobbes, you are greytly missed.

:f_red:gh_run2:f_red

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)