Nemmie Is Sick

Nemmie had lots of bloody mucoid diarrhea last night around 9, but otherwise was acting fine. I called the vet first thing this morning, and got her in for 11. Just before we left, she started throwing up watery kibble colored brown stuff, and she threw up some more in the car on the way. When we were at the vet, she started to hunch up from belly pain, but still acted like herself otherwise.

The vet said she's going to run some blood and test the stool sample I brought to rule out any other causes, but that Nem's symptoms (especially the "raspberry jam" appearance of the diarrhea) seem like HGE. So Nem is going to stay at the hospital for a few days to get IV fluids and IV antibiotics until the diarrhea and vomiting stop. The bloodwork gets sent out, so the vet said to call around 6 if I haven't heard from them before then.

Does anyone have experience with recovery from HGE or any of the "other stuff" that could cause these symptoms?

My Emmy had HGE. She had horribly bloody poohs and couldn't keep anything on her stomach, not even water. She became dehydrated very quickly. She spent 3 days at the vet's on IV's and meds. We thought we might lose her for a time there but she recovered very nicely and hasn't had another bout of it since.

Prayers for your baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Winterwish

KLB I'm so sorry Nemmie is sick,poor babe. You did everything right. Sending get well wishes for Nemmie to recover soon! :dogcookie:hope:grouphug

Your vet is already treating for hge,so that is excellant already. Very important to treat quickly to turn it around quickly.

~ feel better soon Nemmie!

Edited by Winterwish

Just last week, my dog had the same symptoms. You probably have more experience than I but I gave her Pedialite the first day. The next day, I cooked some white rice and mixed it with cultured yogurt. Within 10 hours after the rice mixture, she was acting like herself again. She has been fine ever since.

I will pray for your baby!

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KelseysLackey

Oh Katie! Healing wishes for Nemmie - you will both be in my thoughts.

Edited by KelseysLackey

White light and healing thoughts speeding her way!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hugs and prayers for your baby.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope Nemmie is on the road to recovery very soon.

:hope :hope :candle :candle

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Pharaoh had HGE and has recovered completely. He was vomiting blood as well as the bloody pooh which got him an immediate trip to the vet (not our regular vet as we were out of town). After a stay with the vet with an IV for fluids and every test known to man or beast, they sent him home with meds, prescription food and orders to watch him closely (not a problem since I was now paranoid). They never could find a cause, but he has never had another episode since. So give hugs and love to your baby and we'll send prayers from this end.

Cali had a bout with HGE in Feb. She probably would have died had I not taken her to the vet. She had bloody diarrhea as well as bloody vomit. She was extremely lethargic and dehydrated. She stayed in the vet overnight on IV and had lots of tests and everything came back inconclusive. Even after the meds and special vet diet she had diarrhea problems and lost quite a bit of weight. Since then I've found that the only food she doesn't have big D with is raw chicken. I'm going to try more raw meat in the future but so far so good.

I hope Nemmie is doing better and there is an actual cause for her symptoms. :candle

Vicky and my best boys Vern (Rockin Big Mike) and Wil (Deco Abilene Wil).

Missing my best girl Cali (BOC's Kaylynn) at the Bridge.

sending prayers!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway