We Had To Change Our Course

Well, Shanti took a turn for the worse yesterday. The swelling kicked in and the pain increased. Today we went back in to the vets for the 2nd adequan injection. I asked the vet who "was not in" :P to take a peek. She did for me. She did not like the looks of it either.

We have started immune suppression on Shanti. She gets 50mg of Imuran, 3/4 of a 20mg prednisone and 10mg of pepcid. She had her first dose today.

I hope and pray that this helps my baby girl. Please think good thoughts for her. This stuff is nasty!

For those of you who use Imuran, do you wear gloves? It says to. But they mentioned you could wash your hands. Which is better? It is obviously some hefty medication!

The Girls

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cris_M

With the Imuran, there is conflicting information about whether specific handling practices are even needed at all or not. It's not water soluble; it needs a base for that. So, if gloves make you feel safer, do it. If gloves make you feel like a klutz and make it hard to give the Rx, then use your bare hands and wash afterwards.

Meanwhile, I am thinking lots of good thoughts for Shanti. With that combo of drugs, her pain and swelling should be a lot better tomorrow. And, with Xan's chant, she should be doing greyt!

Thanks! I feel like I am on a roller coaster. So many ups then downs. Yesterday she was so sad and pathetic like. Today was not much better, but she perked up at the vets. She loves them and they love her. Thankfully she is not the brightest in the bunch and has not put the torture she gets together with them. :P

The Girls

Lots of good wishes for Shanti :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Lots of good thoughts coming your way. She will feel better quickly and Mia said a little tidbit of peanut butter makes the pills go down easy peasy! :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Winterwish
Thanks! I feel like I am on a roller coaster. So many ups then downs. Yesterday she was so sad and pathetic like. Today was not much better, but she perked up at the vets. She loves them and they love her. Thankfully she is not the brightest in the bunch and has not put the torture she gets together with them. :P

I can just imagine that emotional roller coaster feeling! You're doing such a greyt job with Shanti,taking care ofher so well. :bighug

Sending good thoughts and prayers forShanti from here too!

Adding my prayers for sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

More prayers for Shanti, I know what it's like to go through giving loads of meds, it's so hard!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I am so sorry you are going through this. Prayers headed your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Mega healing thoughts for Shanti!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Is she on anything at all for pain? If not, call the vet! Mia was on Tramadol for pain for the first 2 weeks.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Is she on anything at all for pain? If not, call the vet! Mia was on Tramadol for pain for the first 2 weeks.

She is on Tramadol every 4-6 hours. 2 tablets each time. She has a "sensative" tummy, so my guess is the dose of prednisone and Imuran made her quite sick. She does get Pepcid too. This was the first dose, so I am hoping it will settle down a bit. I can say, I am not taking her camping in the motorhome this weekend. :lol For now the trip is off. Plenty of time later when she feels better. Here she has 24/7 access to the backyard. She needs that now.

The Girls

:grouphug Sending more good thoughts your (and Shanti's) way. :hope

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Poor baby :(

The taste of the tramadol can make them sick too, try putting it in a gel-capsule if you have one, or at least in something yummy.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.