Thin Skinned, And How

Guest sweetpea

Guest sweetpea

Me and Sweetpea, walking down the stairs like we always do, 4 times a day for our walkies.

She waits for me on the landing while I lock the front door, then we both head down at the same time.

I usually let her go at her own speed down the stairs, which means I let the leash

spool out (it's not a retractable leash, it's just long), and she trots down the stairs ahead of me.

She doesn't charge down the stairs, and I always make sure the coast is clear, she just moves down them

a little quicker than I do.

Today there was a ladder at the bottom of the stairs (gutter cleaners), so I thought I'd hold her close, to keep her

more under control and mostly to keep the gutter cleaners from freakin' out.

Well, she spazzes on me, tumbles down the stairs, freaks me out, freaks out the gutter cleaners (they thought

one of them was falling!), and scrapes the heck out of her leg.

Here's the evidence:

redbadgeofcourage006.jpg

Almost 1 whole year without incident, but now we've been christened proper.

Buzzy the bad mommy

and the lovely and keeping-a-stiff-upper-lip Sweetpea

ps...no GSOD not a peep, what a trooper

Sending hugs to Buzzy and Sweetpea both. These things happen, hopefully no more often than once a year! Hope she heals quickly and gets her stair confidence right back.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Owey! :( You might want to give her some arnica, in case she's feeling a bit bruised from her tumble, too.

Chanting: *No more oopsies on the stairs, and this one will be just a scab tomorrow! No more oopsies on the stairs, and this one will be just a scab tomorrow! No more oopsies on the stairs, and this one will be just a scab tomorrow! *

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Ouch!! Poor Sweetpea. And you're not a bad mom! Sending healing thoughts for a quick recovery! :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Heal swiftly sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor Sweetie :sad1 You're not a bad Mommy, stuff happens :unsure

I second the arnica, and do you have EMT spray or gel?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Poor baby, I'd clean gently with warm water if you haven't already, but it doesn't look too deep.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

No worries. You didn't do anything wrong, stuff just happens. I'm kind of amazed you made it almost a year without a bungie! That doesn't look like one I'd worry about though. Not deep, and not in a place (like a shoulder) where the skin is constantly pulling. Just clean it, and keep an eye on it. It probably won't infect, because she'll probably lick it clean herself. My dogs wouldn't even tell me about that either - I'd just see it and go "HOLY CRAP".... but they're just fine.

If you've got EMT gel, use it. I wouldn't worry though.

I did used to worry about every bungie - but now I've realized that these dogs are NOT made of china. It's a boo-boo. It's fine. (Does make you feel awful the first time though!)

Ouch! Poor Sweetpea. I agree though, one in a year is pretty darn good. Fenway's on pace with one a month, I think. But he's also :crazy I just ordered EMT Gel from GEM and used if for the first time tonight....I love it already! I *think* Fenway's newest owie is going to heal up just fine....and I wish I would have purchased this stuff sooner.

Get well soon, Sweetpea. :kiss2

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Celestes_Dad

Ouch...

my Celeste tore off her stop pad on one of her forelegs just walking up a set of open stairs on our deck... that really was bad but she did not peep about it.. It is amazing how they get hurt so easily at times but never complain.. Then again the same dog cries the "greyhound scream of death" when another dog steps on them and they are ok..

Edited by Celestes_Dad

Guest sweetpea

Thanks guys, I guess we have been pretty lucky 'til now. It's just hard to see that wound

and not feel bad for her. She has a scar on one of her back legs that looks just like this one,

so maybe she'll have a matching set!

And she doesn't have any stair aversion, although she is walking down right next to me now,

instead of scampering down ahead.

She did have a pretty good limp going at first, but we "walked it off".

I'm actually amazed she didn't do more damage, I know if I'd taken that tumble,

I'd have more than a gouge-ee scrape.

I cleaned it, then put a soft wrap on it, secured it with a baby's sock that we cut the toe off of.

I didn't want her oozing and sticking to her bed then re-aggravating it.

But once the wrap comes off (I expect by morning) we'll let oxygen and healing do it's thing.

Yes, I now have an order in for EMT gel.....

Buzzy the wiser

The lovely and scars-are-cool Sweetpea

Guest Celestes_Dad

If you cold only see the littany of scars that our Bonny has... the poor girl looks like she went to hell and back - but she is just VERY thin-skinned and cuts easily.. we just keep a close eye on her..

Buzzy the wiser

The lovely and scars-are-cool Sweetpea

Fenway has all of his scars on the same side of his body so when taking photos I tell him "show me your good side" :lol

Sweetpea, Fenway still thinks you are cute, scars and all! :love2

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)