Shelby Headed To The Vet

Guest ShelbysMom

Guest ShelbysMom

I'm headed to the vet this morning with Shelby. Her dropped muscle from this weekend looked to be getting better Sunday and Monday. The bruising had lightened some, and the swelling had reduced some.

This morning is a whole different story though. I had trouble getting her to get out of her bed. Once she stood up I immediately saw why. Her entire lower leg is swollen big time. Her toes all the way to just below her thigh where the dropped muscle is. I'm worried she might have a clot blocking circulation.

Anyone seen this before????

Guest ShelbysMom

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers.

I just dropped her at the vet. Unfortunately, I had to go on to work in order to pay for the coming vet bill.

Also, I was reprimanded for not having brought her in yesterday morning. The dropped muscle occurred Saturday night, but all seemed to be going well with her until this morning. However, they continued to scold me anyway. Now I feel really bad. I hope and pray that nothing is seriously wrong, as I will never forgive myself.

However, they continued to scold me anyway.

Nice. :blink: Let's see how quickly they can figure out what's wrong. I hope it's nothing more than fluid draining from the muscle injury. :goodluck

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending my prayers to both of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh no, poor Shelby, sounds painful. Hope the vet visit brings more to light. Please keep us posted! Keeping my fingers crossed. :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Will keep your girl in our prayers.Try to let the scolding go in one ear and right out the other. Easy to say I know. Please keep us posted,

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers.

I just dropped her at the vet. Unfortunately, I had to go on to work in order to pay for the coming vet bill.

Also, I was reprimanded for not having brought her in yesterday morning. The dropped muscle occurred Saturday night, but all seemed to be going well with her until this morning. However, they continued to scold me anyway. Now I feel really bad. I hope and pray that nothing is seriously wrong, as I will never forgive myself.

Inappropriate. They could have said they wished you brought her in yesterday but the continued scolding was inappropriate. If it was a receptionist or tech tell the vet you didn't appreciate the guilt trip

Hope everything works out

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

:hope:hope:hope:candle I have never seen this before! But we are sending out lots of prayer and white light.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I think it's most unprofessional to continue scolding. :blink: If it's a dropped muscle, they couldn't have done anything anyway. Is this a greyhound-savvy vet?

On the other hand, I've not seen this amount of swelling with a dropped muscle, so I would certainly be taking her in for an assessment. You know, sometimes the muscle only tears part-way through on the first 'drop' and you will get a second tear anything from a couple of days to weeks or even months later. Could be that's all it is, but with the amount of swelling, you're right to get her seen ASAP.

Good luck! I hope it's nothing much - and I hope you get an apology for the rake down. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Sending lots of prayers for Shelby! And do NOT feel bad... Its obvious you are very aware of your hound and whats going on with her.... and you got her in as soon as you saw the swelling. Sometimes people should think before they speak.... sheesh. I hope you complain about the scolding!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm sorry to hear that you were scolded. Not very cool on their part if you ask me :(

Now about the possible muscle tear. If Shelby has become less active since the time it happened it could be possible that there is edema due to the lack of her using her leg. The fluid/blood has to go somewhere and gravity will tend to carry it downward. Which will cause the whole leg to swell a bit

I don't recall ever seeing a race hound's leg swell up a whole bunch but there is some swelling along with a pulled/dropped/torn muscle.

I also do hope it's a greyhound savvy vet. All to often with non greyhound savvy vets they feel the need to do biopsy's on old torn muscles cause they have never seen one before. Or they may suggest that they can "fix" the torn muscle. Honestly I've never found this to work well anytime a vet has tried to fix the torn/dropped/pulled muscle.

Please keep us informed of how your girly is doing

Guest ShelbysMom

Yes, the vet is greyhound savvy. He has 2 of his own, as does his partner.

The vet just called me. He did an x-ray to be sure there was no bone injury, and that was clear. He's done blood work to check for tick related problems, and has tried to exam her for spider bites. However the extent of bruising is making it difficult to detect anything that small.

He told me that during his physical exam she never even whenced in pain. If there was indeed a muscle tear, then she should have reacted even 3 days after the injury. So that is leading him away from the dropped muscle theory, and more to some sort of bug bite. Besides, there was no incident Saturday where Shelby got hurt.

Shelby is very vocal even over the slightest of injuries, so DH and I would have known if there was an incident. She had been laying in her bed after dinner, and when she went to get up she was in agony and wouldn't put any weight on that leg.

This is all very odd to me. The vet is waiting on the blood work to come back this afternoon, before he will allow her to go home. He said he will send her home with a broad spectrum anti-biotic just in case it truly is a bug bite we are dealing with. He also will give her an anti-inflammatory, and suggested that I continue icing her.

You might consider contacting Dr. Radcliffe out in Wheeling and/or Dr. Couto if things don't improve very quickly on the anti-biotics. I'm sure Dr. Radcliffe has seen a lot of dropped muscles and he's been willing to look at photos I've emailed to him before, while Dr. Couto might have some insight if something else is going on.

What about Benadryl is he suspects a bug bite? Or is it too late for that? I meant to suggest it initially but by the time I saw your post a day had already passed and most people thought it was the dropped muscle. FYI, I wouldn't rule anything out just yet - these guys can act strange in the vet's office, you just never know.

I hope Shelby feels better soon - please do keep us posted.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ShelbysMom

o.k., so Shelby came home from the vet yesterday with pred and a broad spectrum antibiotic. Much of the blood work won't come back until Thursday, so the antibiotic is more a precaution than anything else until we get the blood results.

The swelling comes down best though when I ice the leg. Amazingly, Shelby doesn't seem to mind that at all. I iced her again last night for about an hour, and then we went to bed. This morning the swelling is back, but not quite as bad. Between the ice and the pred, I think she will be just fine. That is as long as the blood work doesn't show something else.

The vet even said she should be good to go on our trip next week. Shelby jumped in and out of the SUV with no problems yesterday, so I think he's right.

Thank you all for your well wishes. Now it's just a waiting game until Thursday's blood results come in.

Sending more prayers for your sweet little girl...I can imagine how horrible this has been for all of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.