Please Need Help Covering Stitched Paw

Our grey went to the er tonight. we think she cut part of her paw with one of our outside metal lights. It was buried under 2 feet of snow. Anyway, they stitched her and we have to keep the bandage free from wetness. I tried ziploc bags with rubber bands and plastic bags. nothing seems to stay on good. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.14 days of this is going to be tough.

ty

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest greydogluvr

I bet if you wrapped the paw in a ziplock bag and covered it with vet wrap it would stay. I wrap horse hooves with this and it stays well. The vet wrap will get wet but the bag will keep the moisture away from the stitches. Maybe put a sock on her foot under the bag for comfort.

Ask your vet for an IV bag and tape that around the wound. Do you have waterproof boots? Maybe you can get an inexpensive pair in a pet store.

Until you get something better, put a sock or Saran wrap over the wound, use your zip lock bag or grocery bag and use adhesive tape or vet wrap around the bag. Not on the skin.

Good luck because it isn't easy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

This won't help you tonight, but for the future, GEM (Greyhounds Eastern Michigan) sell something called "PAWS" - it's a disposable plastic bootie. Janet (FoxysMom) used one for her boy Jake up in Ottawa, and gives it 2 thumbs up.

GEM had them at Sandy Paws - dont know if they're on the website or not. But there's a thread on here somewhere with links to other sources for it.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Depending on how far up the stitches go (and how deep your snow is), you'll want either quart- or gallon-sized ziploc bags; some vetwrap or masking tape; and some duct tape. For just a foot, I like the quart size. Take two bags and cut the zipper off. Put one bag on her foot, wrap around ankle, and secure at ankle with snug vetwrap (or masking tape). Now put the second bag over that, wrap around ankle and secure at ankle with snug vetwrap (or masking tape). Take a couple small pieces of duct tape and put them on the sole of her outer bag; wrap up around the sides and toe @ 1/2". That'll keep the outer bag from puncturing easily, so you can reuse it.

Good luck! Hate having to keep a foot dry in wet/snowy weather.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

a rubber glove ..the household kind used for washing dishes. Turn it so the fingers are inside, use vet wrap to secure it to the leg. Not a long term solution but works in a pinch

Well, that's a new one and sounds good to try.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest longdogs

The above suggestions will work. The only only thing I can add is that you might need to use adhesive dressing over the bag/sock/vetwrap if she's likely to pull the whole lot off. Otherwise you might have to come up with a quick system you can put on and take of with each trip outside.

Guest JarBear

Glad Press and Seal wrap. You can wrap it around and it will stick to itself. I usually have to cut it off with bandage scissors when they come inside.

How about trying an unlubricated condom, then put a sock over it, then the vet wrap, then a zip lock bag. The condom will fit the paw and leg nice and snug and will surely stay put for a short trip outside.

The big plus is that condoms are cheap and disposable, just make sure it's not lubricated.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FullMetalFrank

I used my FoodSaver to make a dog-leg-sized sleeve and vet-wrapped that on, worked good! I then sewed a channel in it for a cord and a cord-lock so I could just cinch it up around his leg. This was a really neat idea until I didn't get it cinched up enough and it came off in the yard, bandage got wet... Fortunately it was OK for the bandage to come off at that point, he just had a torn dew claw... If I have to do it again I'll stick with the vetwrap.

Glad Press and Seal wrap. You can wrap it around and it will stick to itself. I usually have to cut it off with bandage scissors when they come inside.

I use this also, but I also put a felt bootie over top. The foot will stay nice and dry. Just went through this in February, Clark had a sore between his toes that had to be kept dry. We had to keep a sock on the foot to prevent him from licking.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest armanntoo

The last time Wendy Cut her foot, I put a bag ove the dressing, then covered it with a sock, held on with a velcro strap done up above the joint. Worked great, and all I had to do what change the sock every time we came home.

We have had that at this house and we use the boot also. They work great. I am so sorry that he got hurt. Hope feels better real soon.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

We've had to deal with this twice so far since January. Both times, we've used an IV bag from the vet held on with a rubber band that's wrapped twice around the upper part of the bag. Very rarely had a problem with it coming off and the bag has no problems holding up to a greyhound sized beating.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

I feel your pain on this- Maddie just went through this for 10 days. Thought we did NOT have snow and rain . I was able to keep her dry with vet wrap and a baby sock.

Good Luck

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Thank u all. the iv bag seems to be working the best in 2 feet of snow...lol.i will be glad when the stitches come off. I know I am going to be paranoid now about every little thing when she walks anywhere!!

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Ask your vet for an IV bag and tape that around the wound.

i second that suggestion. i held it in place with a thick rubberband.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.