Ordering Medication Online

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

I am sure this has been talked to death but another thread got me thinking.

Do any of you order heartworm/flea prevention meds online?

Any horror stories(particularly first hand accounts)?

Or success stories?

Any companies in particular to stay away from?

Any recommendations for particularly good companies?

I have seen some people mention they buy from Australia. How does that work? Is there an Aussie company that most people use?

With 3 dogs, we have been looking into a way to cut the costs a little of heartworm meds and flea prevention. As most of you know, the cost is a bit high and the more dogs you get... Anyway, we looked at one site and saw we could save quite a bit going the online route assuming that is safe still for the dogs.

Feel free to pm me or reply here. Just want to do what's best for my babies while still going easy on my check book.

Guest maelynnie

Or success stories?

I have seen some people mention they buy from Australia. How does that work? Is there an Aussie company that most people use?

With 3 dogs, we have been looking into a way to cut the costs a little of heartworm meds and flea prevention. As most of you know, the cost is a bit high and the more dogs you get... Anyway, we looked at one site and saw we could save quite a bit going the online route assuming that is safe still for the dogs.

Feel free to pm me or reply here. Just want to do what's best for my babies while still going easy on my check book.

Or success stories?

We use petshed.com, no script needed, just order online and pay. We've been using them over a year. We have 5 hounds so we save a grip o' money. Their shipping is very inexpensive and my orders always have arrived within 4 days. Just received my latest order of Nuheart (generic Heartgard) 4 packs of 6 tablets with an expiration date of 2010. Total cost with shipping $87.80. The last time I bought heartworm meds from our vet it was $95 for one pack of 6 tablets. I still have my vet do the heartworm test during their annual visits.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

I can order all of my meds online...from my vet's office. They work with an online company (used to be VetCentric I think, recently switched and haven't started using the new company yet) and I get the assurance that I have my vet's backing of anything I give my animals. I have three greyhounds and a cat and all but one of the dogs are well past the age of seven...and things add up...but safety, to me, is more important that cost. Plus, it's a 45 minute drive one way to my vet, so I get the same quality meds I'd get without the cost of an office visit or gasoline. :D

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

I've been using petscriptions for years for all my dog's meds and they have been great and have saved me a bundle, especially on the anti-inflammatory and pain meds. I just had to order Baytril which for 14 pills, the vet charges 118.00 and at petscriptions it's 54.00.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greyvettech

At our clinic, we match online pricing and we will even send it to the client for no additional cost-We cannot work with petmeds or other companies if the owner is requesting hw prevention if there is no negative hw test on file though-One thing to be careful about is, yes, petmeds gets there products from Australia. They do not guarantee their products they are selling you-for example, if your vet approves for petmeds to send you hw prevention,and you buy it and give it to your hounds every month and never skip a month and you go into your vet for an annual hw test and they show up positive (because no hw px is 100percent effective) they will not pay for your dogs hw treatment-so, they do not guarantee their product-if you had purchased hw px from your vet and this happens. you are covered-I have seen this happen once but it is still good to know-also, when we get requests for owners wanting petmeds ,the request form says it will be filled "generically" unless brand necessary is marked-that is kind of scary...What the heck is a generic hw prevention? We want our clients to be able to afford medication and that is why we match the price... and it is guaranteed!

We use deadfleaz. com for the frontline. They are an Aussie compaany but very reasonable and VERY VERY fast. For things like soloxine we use pet meds.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

As someone else mentioned... the drug companies will not guarantee products purchased through many on-line pharmacies. We had a client purchase HW prevention from PetMedExpress and they turned up positive. When we called the drug company they said that many on-line pharmacies fail to store or ship the products safely and this may result in loss of efficacy of the product.

Although this next example didn't occur at our clinic... it was written up in a veterinary journal. A dog in congestive heart failure was on medication and the owner decided to purchase them on-line to save money. The dog died of congestive heart failure and the owner worried about her decision and had her medications tested. Turns out the on-line pharmacy was purchasing the medications from India at a dramatic discount and the medications had almost no active ingredient. : (

While these examples may be the exception to the rule... they should still be pointed out. Best case scenario is your vet price matches on-line pharmacies so you get guaranteed product at discount prices. Vets cannot match Australia prices though b/c they can sell it for less then the vets can even buy it for.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greyvettech
when we get requests for owners wanting petmeds ,the request form says it will be filled "generically" unless brand necessary is marked-that is kind of scary...What the heck is a generic hw prevention?

That's easy. It would be Ivermectin.

Not exactly, I am talking about a pill form of hw prevention- is what they are saying they will fill generically-Anyhow, I just don't agree with petmeds because-plain and simple-you don't know what you're getting and you could possibly be putting your animal at risk or not preventing what you want to prevent (as stated by freemandvm)-We have seen it first hand....

I use Omaha Vaccine and they're wonderful. They have an actual, honest to goodness pet pharmacy--they're not just a seller of medications. For the thyroid pills my old dog took, I asked my vet to write me a script and she did. I saved a TON of money. She would only write it for a six month supply to make sure I got his thyroid tested regularly, but it worked out great. I also recently went to get heartworm meds for George; her staff handed me the boxes and said, "$95 please" and I said, "Write me a script please, that's double what Omaha Vaccine charges for the EXACT SAME THING." She did. I mailed it in, ordered the meds, yahooo!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest budsmom

I get my Frontline Plus by mail, but I will only order it from Drs. Foster & Smith. They are both vets, have their own pharmacy and I get the same name brand that I would at my vets. (Plus, they're located in Northern WI so I get the pkg in like 2 days) Every year, they have a sale on flea peventatives with a shipping discount and I save about $25 versus what it would cost me at the vet. I get all my heartworm meds from the vet, though.

I know that many people order online from Australia or other complanies, but I'm just not comfortable doing that (majorly crazy, overprotective mommy here). I also feel like I'm supporting my vet a little, too, by getting the heartworm meds from them. They have always been there for me and my babies, and I feel like they deserve to make some money also, so I sort of split my purchases between them and online.

I get my Frontline Plus by mail, but I will only order it from Drs. Foster & Smith. They are both vets, have their own pharmacy and I get the same name brand that I would at my vets. (Plus, they're located in Northern WI so I get the pkg in like 2 days) Every year, they have a sale on flea peventatives with a shipping discount and I save about $25 versus what it would cost me at the vet. I get all my heartworm meds from the vet, though.

I know that many people order online from Australia or other complanies, but I'm just not comfortable doing that (majorly crazy, overprotective mommy here). I also feel like I'm supporting my vet a little, too, by getting the heartworm meds from them. They have always been there for me and my babies, and I feel like they deserve to make some money also, so I sort of split my purchases between them and online.

Me too. Frontline Plus from Drs Foster & Smith, and Heartworm from the vet. Any prescriptions from the vet also, like antibiotics, etc. Just easier.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I use Omaha Vaccine and they're wonderful. They have an actual, honest to goodness pet pharmacy--they're not just a seller of medications. For the thyroid pills my old dog took, I asked my vet to write me a script and she did. I saved a TON of money. She would only write it for a six month supply to make sure I got his thyroid tested regularly, but it worked out great. I also recently went to get heartworm meds for George; her staff handed me the boxes and said, "$95 please" and I said, "Write me a script please, that's double what Omaha Vaccine charges for the EXACT SAME THING." She did. I mailed it in, ordered the meds, yahooo!

I use Omaha Vaccine for Soloxine and Interceptor too. They are great to deal with! My vet office even told me to do it online for cheaper. I am leery of online medicine, but I feel very comfortable with them.

I do wish more offices would price match. I know VCA in Los Alamitos does (Nala's vet), but Shanti's does not.

The Girls

when we get requests for owners wanting petmeds ,the request form says it will be filled "generically" unless brand necessary is marked-that is kind of scary...What the heck is a generic hw prevention?

Not exactly, I am talking about a pill form of hw prevention- is what they are saying they will fill generically-Anyhow, I just don't agree with petmeds because-plain and simple-you don't know what you're getting and you could possibly be putting your animal at risk or not preventing what you want to prevent (as stated by freemandvm)-We have seen it first hand....

Thank you for posting this. It makes me think twice now about using the online pharmacy. Saving money is not worth putting my dogs at risk. I will ask my vet about price matching when I'm there tomorrow.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am also talking about pill form of heartworm prevention. My guys get the generic version of ivermectin in pill. Same active ingredient -- just like Advil is ibuprofen, there are lots of generic HW meds like Triheart, Valueheart, etc. If generic is good enough for me it's good enogh for my dogs. Of course, I've been using inhalers made by Smithkline Glaxo from Mexico for quite a while now. They have worked fine and have saved me more than $1,000, I feel fine ordering from AU or Canada, but I wouldn't order my dogs meds from a third world country.

A vet friend told me that Heartgard is overpriced ovehyped cheapo stuff and if you do a bit of homework you can do WAYYY better....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greyvettech

I am also talking about pill form of heartworm prevention. My guys get the generic version of ivermectin in pill. Same active ingredient -- just like Advil is ibuprofen, there are lots of generic HW meds like Triheart, Valueheart, etc. If generic is good enough for me it's good enogh for my dogs. Of course, I've been using inhalers made by Smithkline Glaxo from Mexico for quite a while now. They have worked fine and have saved me more than $1,000, I feel fine ordering from AU or Canada, but I wouldn't order my dogs meds from a third world country.

A vet friend told me that Heartgard is overpriced ovehyped cheapo stuff and if you do a bit of homework you can do WAYYY better....

I wouldn't know because we don't carry heartgard at the clinic I work at-As far as I know, I have never heard of any complaints about heartgard though -but there are products such as Interceptor or Sentinel which protect against more.....I'm all about saving money, trust me! but I choose to stick with what my Veterinarian recommends and I like to support the business!

Guest LokisMom

Just curious as to what Interceptor protects against that Heartgard doesn't? And are we talking about regular Heartgard or Heartgard Plus?

Guest greyvettech
Just curious as to what Interceptor protects against that Heartgard doesn't? And are we talking about regular Heartgard or Heartgard Plus?

Interceptor protects against-heartworm, hookworms, whipworms, and roundworms-heartgard does not protect against whipworms...

We've never carried heartgard so I'm not sure if heartgard plus is different than heartgard

I've been ordering Heartgard Plus and Frontline from Pets MegaStore for several years. My vet does not even stock Heartgard. link

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest nikkikaye

Anyone ever use discountpetdrugs.com? I just ordered 2 years worth of Frontline and Interceptor through them. It was wierd. I called the 800# to get info about the company and they swore they were an American company- used American products and shipped from America. My vet faxed the scrpit to an American # fax line. But the guy who took my order was in New York- they say the drugs were in new England and the UPS box came from California. Hey- I saved a lot of money- but I worry beacuse I got my 9 yr old chronic painned arthritic grey his Rimadyl from there too. If I were to want to check the Rimadyl or the Interceptor- (The packages looked absolutely the same in every way- inside and out- and so did the pills)- how would i do it?

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
Anyone ever use discountpetdrugs.com? I just ordered 2 years worth of Frontline and Interceptor through them. It was wierd. I called the 800# to get info about the company and they swore they were an American company- used American products and shipped from America. My vet faxed the scrpit to an American # fax line. But the guy who took my order was in New York- they say the drugs were in new England and the UPS box came from California. Hey- I saved a lot of money- but I worry beacuse I got my 9 yr old chronic painned arthritic grey his Rimadyl from there too. If I were to want to check the Rimadyl or the Interceptor- (The packages looked absolutely the same in every way- inside and out- and so did the pills)- how would i do it?

if you can find a number for the drug company, you can call them and see if the lot number is valid with the right expiry date.