Scooter Has Osteo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooter is on rimadyl, tramadol, and previcox. He does seem to be resting better this evening. But this is only temporary. I don't want to do it for me. It is for my Scooter. Thank you all for well wishes. He is truly an incredible friend. I am totally heartbroken.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry. :grouphug:hope

Scooter will never be alone, we have so many Greytalk angels.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Indeed lots of beautiful angels waiting for your beloved Scooter. How about a picture if you can?

Letting them go is the hardest and most devoted gift we can ever give to them.

Lots of folks are here to listen and understand.

Warmly,

Guest NeedleNoseLuvR

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Saying good-bye is so hard but at the end it is our greatest gift and I agree that it's better a day too early than a day too late.

Hugs to you and your family, scritches and prayers for a gentle and peaceful passing for Scooter.

Oh no. :cry1 I haven't been on GT for a day or so. I'm so very sorry to hear about Scooter.

Sending many hugs. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am having a terrible time trying to get Scooter to take his tramadol. It is like he can smell it and taste it and is becoming VERY picky about anything I try to give him. Up until a day or two ago this wasn't a problem. I have tried chicken, beef, sweet rolls, fig newtons (best thing right now) and cream cheese. Please any advice? He really needs his meds to feel better. The previcox is not a problem. I hate seeing this. We are enjoying every moment we are given right now. He is so special to our family. Any good tricks for pills?

scootersig_A4.jpg

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Grasp snoot. Tilt head back. Open mouth. Stuff pill waaaaaaay down throat. Close mouth, stroke throat till pupper swallows, tell pupper he's a good boy, give spoonful of ice cream.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Grasp snoot. Tilt head back. Open mouth. Stuff pill waaaaaaay down throat. Close mouth, stroke throat till pupper swallows, tell pupper he's a good boy, give spoonful of ice cream.

Hugs and luck.

Just what I was going to suggest. I always put pills down throats and give treats after.

I learned the hard way after Foxy refused two of her favourite treats for almost a year after trying to hide them in cheese or peanut butter. Now they get the good stuff after the bad.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am having a terrible time trying to get Scooter to take his tramadol. It is like he can smell it and taste it and is becoming VERY picky about anything I try to give him. Up until a day or two ago this wasn't a problem. I have tried chicken, beef, sweet rolls, fig newtons (best thing right now) and cream cheese. Please any advice? He really needs his meds to feel better. The previcox is not a problem. I hate seeing this. We are enjoying every moment we are given right now. He is so special to our family. Any good tricks for pills?

I ran into problems with Patrick throwing up from Tramadal, our wonderful vet diagnosed it and our wonderful pet sitter solved the problem. Put the tramadol into an empty gell cap--I use the ones left over from his daily cosequine, but I would imagine a compounding pharamacy would sell them--it's the taste that really upsets them, once they become sensitized to it, and that should help. You can then pill him, or put it in something enticing, whatever works best for Scooter--just don't let him chew it or it will taste terrible.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

thank you all so much for the suggestions. I knew you all would have the right answers. Scooter is soooo food motivated it freaked me a litte. Please continue to send white light for my boy. I hate osteo.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Hugs and luck.

Yep...that's the best way. It's hard having to give them the meds but they have to have them. :bighug

thank you all so much for the suggestions. I knew you all would have the right answers. Scooter is soooo food motivated it freaked me a litte. Please continue to send white light for my boy. I hate osteo.

My Scooter was the same way. :bighug

:candle

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey started doing the same thing. I ended up having good luck toward the end of giving the pills- with hot dogs. I think hot dogs are SO nasty :) but he loves them and I think the smell of them kind of covered it up. I used a sharp knife to slit a small hole in a piece of hot dog, stuck the pill in there and gave it to him. I usually had a second piece of hot dog ready to hand right to him to distract him if he realized there was a pill in the first piece. He'd swallow that first piece to snag the second. :) The other thing I used was ham salad- I put a little bit of it on a cracker, put pill on that, then put a small heap of ham salad on top of the pill. Just make sure you don't get the kind that has onions!

Guest Machbragal

I cannot even BEGIN to express how much I hate this disease and how it robs us of our precious friends. You and Scooter are so prevalent in my prayers and thoughts right now. God Bless.

Hoping your new meds technique works and that Scooter gets to enjoy lots more treats :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest crazy4greys

I am sorry about Scooter. :grouphug

My girl Autumn had the same problem with Tramadol. I swear she could smell it! I eventually had to put it down her throat. I would give her water after so she could get the taste out of her throat.

Unfortuantely she was not food motivated when she needed the tramadol. :(

I hope the Previcox will help Scooter! :) It helped Autumn.

I am sorry about Scooter. :grouphug

My girl Autumn had the same problem with Tramadol. I swear she could smell it! I eventually had to put it down her throat. I would give her water after so she could get the taste out of her throat.

Unfortuantely she was not food motivated when she needed the tramadol. :(

I hope the Previcox will help Scooter! :) It helped Autumn.

Joanne, thank you! you and many others have become a blessing to me and Scooter. I hate this disease. I am really trying hard to deal with this. Scooter is doing ok. He is such a wonderful soul. If he thinks anything has the tramadol in it he refuses it. This is heart breaking b/c he is so food motivated. He is 77 lbs but should be about 85. I have started just opening up his mouth and basically just putting it down his throat. This seems to be better and like suggested I follow with a wonderful treat of ice cream or a fig newton which he adores.

For the first time he screamed tonight getting up. I am not sure if it was his shoulder or if he kind of did the splits due to back end weakness. I was sooo stressed out and picked him up right away. He leaned on me which is typical and recovered in a few minutes. however, this is not a good sign.

Please say prayers for us all. This is really heartbreaking. Our 14 year old son, Clay, is really having a hard time dealing with this. I just want all of you to know it so touching that people on GT get it and care about this. I cannot tell you how many people have said to me, he is a 12 year old dog. But then again these are the same people who said to me 2 years ago, who adopts a 10 year old? I would not trade one minute with Scooter. He is my heart. I will never be without a senior. Thank you everyone. I really believe we are a big family!!!! I hope you all know I care about each and every one of you.

scootersig_A4.jpg