Three Years Ago Today The Sun Was Bright,

Greytlady94

04/01/92 - 02/15/05 Inky Flake

Molly, my baby girl, my heart, I miss you always. Every day of my life I think of you, a very large piece of my heart went with you.

I don't remember when I wrote this about Molly, it was after she recovered from ehrlichia, I believe she was 9 at the time.....

Dedicated To My Molly, For The Shy Ones

My Molly was the most shy, afraid, introverted Greyhound I had ever seen. In March 1994 we had adopted our first Greyhound, Casey, and he had become a companion to our aged Beagle Charlie, who was 11 at the time. One year later we lost Charlie to cancer, and it was obvious that Casey really missed his little buddy Charlie, so in March 1995 we took Casey to GPA to find a companion for him, and for us too. We looked at a number of Greyhounds that day, and Casey, being the easy going guy he was, liked them all. There was one black Grey, named Inky at the time, who was so afraid, she stood all tightened up like a statue. She wouldn't look at you, she pretty much just stood there, shaking. She was (is) so beautiful, very muscular and compact, but a very sad little girl. We decided to take her home, I was afraid she would not be adopted for a very long time because of her fear and shyness. Inky became Molly, and wanted only to be in a crate, she was so fearful of contact. Day by day I would talk to her very quietly, sit and stroke her, all the time telling her she was such a good girl. We did take the crate down after a while, and she would lay on her bed along side of Casey's bed. She would follow him to go outside, and every so often she would slowly sneak up behind me and touch my hand with her nose. Eventually, after many more months Molly would come up and bump her nose under my hand. Then the day finally came, that Molly looked at me with what I can only describe as an adoring look, and she became my shadow. If we had anyone over at our house, she would run and hide, and then after a while you would see the little black nose peek around the corner to see what we were doing.

Now, seven years later, Molly is still aloof to people coming in the house, even people who have been here many times. The other three Greys will come to greet the visitor, but not Molly, she will look from a distance, but Molly is still my shadow, if I say "lets go to bed guys", the other three will run for the bedroom, Molly will go about halfway, then stop and wait for me while I straighten up, turn off lights etc. Then Molly and I head for bed. She always watches me, and the look in her eyes is so beautiful. I love all of my Greys, they are all very different, no two have been alike. Since adopting Molly in March 1995 we have adopted three more, and lost two, Casey and another Charlie, both to cancer. Molly was very sick right after Thanksgiving, and for several days I was so afraid I was going to lose her. I could not bear posting about Molly's illness, I was too upset. Molly did rally and she is just fine now, has gained back some quickly lost weight, not all of it, but she will. Molly is my Heart Hound, there will never be another like her. Her love and devotion to me is ever so much an honor and reward, because I know what she was like and what she became. So I guess my whole reason for this long, rambling post is, if you are thinking of adopting a Grey for the first time, or for the fourth or fifth time, take a look at the ones who are huddled back in their crate, and are too shy to come forward, with time, patience and love, they will become your greatest admirer. The shy ones are a special gift from God.

This was written about Molly later on.....

The Shy Ones, a Special Gift From God

The shy ones are a very special gift from God. I get upset, (and I'm sure it shows), when people do not have the compassion to understand a shy dog, but instead take it as a personal insult from the dog. All it takes is time and patience, time and patience, time and patience. There can be no greater joy then...... standing in a yard with your back to her, if you look at her she will be too nervous to potty, so you have learned to stand facing away, your hands loosely behind your back, you stand and wait, letting her have her private time. Days pass, weeks pass, months pass, then one night, standing with your back to her, your hands loosely behind your back, you feel her nose. Cautiously she is bumping your hand, she has come to you. Over time this becomes her way of asking for attention, she bumps your hand with her nose. There is no greater joy.

In time she progressed from bumping my hand with her nose, while my hands stayed very still behind my back. She eventually began to bump my arm with her nose when she would come up beside me if I was sitting down.

The day finally came that she looked into my eyes. The expression in her eyes was an expression of love and trust. I was her mom, she trusted me. She got really good with that nose, she could really wop my arm. :)

She loved to have her ears rubbed, she would groan and lean into my hand.

When anyone came over she would run from whatever room we were in and go hide where "they" could not see her. This probably went on for a couple of years. Later, maybe after two years, you could see a black nose peak around the corner to see who had come. She wouldn't come out though, would not greet the visitors like the others did. But that was ok.

She began to come into her own as she became a senior. No longer so shy, she would come up to a select few. The others she would look at from the comfort and safety of her bed. She was a bossy girl by now and would talk to me every night, fussing at me until I gave her just the right food that she wanted. Baked chicken, lean pot roast, her special meat loaf...

If you have ever had the love of a shy one you have been truly blessed.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Jeannine, thanks for sharing Molly. What a gift she was and how blessed you both became. Remember this day with a smile and a beam in your heart. Molly will always be with you.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Iheartgreys

This is the most beautiful post i have read on here, and as I am preparing to meet my first greyhound who is a "reserved at first" pooch in the next couple weeks, it fills my heart with joy to wonder how we will come to know each other.

How truly blessed we are to share our lives with these creatures.

Thank you for reaffirming my decision and my heart goes out to you for the loss of your precious Molly.

She still is...and always will be your shadow. I am sure that you can feel her presence. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What a beautiful story and it reminds me so much of my first greyhound, Charlie. Coincidentally, today is the (2nd) anniversary of his passing too. Charlie was also very shy and nervous to begin with but once he realised he had nothing to fear from me he bonded with me so strongly. People often commented on the bond between us, and the best compliment I ever had was from a judge at a greyhound show, who said "The bond between you two is amazing - where you are is where he wants to be". It brought a tear to my eye, as has your story about Molly.

:f_pinkf_yellow:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

04/01/92 - 02/15/05 Inky Flake

Molly, my baby girl, my heart, I miss you always. Every day of my life I think of you, a very large piece of my heart went with you.

The Shy Ones, a Special Gift From God

My heart is breaking for you. What a beautiful tribute to her. Please accept my deepest condolences.

I have a shy one, your words described my Bandit to a T. He started as a foster last summer, purposefully chose a timid one. They own my heart. He stole mine within a few short months, as deep down I always knew he would. My one sadness is that no one else will ever know how truly special and loving he is. But you know, he is just like your Molly.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. She shadows you still, and forever.

Guest CorbysMom
If you have ever had the love of a shy one you have been truly blessed.[/b]

Amen. Amen, Amen, Amen.

I hope Molly and Spottydog found one another. Perhaps they are brave between the two of them.

What a beautiful tribute to your girl Molly. My Lewis sounds a lot like her. He loves me but there are only two other people he'll go to (and only after a few minutes)....my sister and my house/pet sitter. My other three are so outgoing and will go to anyone; he prefers to stick to my side and duck his head if anyone comes close. I've come to realize it's just the way he is and after almost four years together, I don't think he's going to change. I do have the love of a shy one and I am blessed. Thank you for sharing your story.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

What a beautiful tribute. :grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I too have a shy one...your words are so beautifully written...thank you for sharing...now I have to go dry my eyes.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Your Molly had the best of blessings: To be loved by good people.

It doesn't seem like it could be anywhere near 3 years.

Rest well, sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mollieandme

Thank you. My girl isn't quite as shy as Molly but it was her shyness that stole my heart. I'll think of your words when Mollie gets up the nerve to bump my hand with her nose.