Flecka Update - Sunday Night ... 2/17

Guest MomofCash

Guest HeatherDemps

I think that you will know when it is time. I, too, would want to know that I had done everything I could, especially if the dog is not in pain.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's right when it's right, and only you and Flecka can decide when that is :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I too think you will know when it is the right time. Having been through this twice before, my hounds let me know when they were ready. Keeping you and Flecka in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I took Brandy home for another week after she started to retain fluid in her abdomen. I scheduled to let her go on a Monday and she had a good day so I cancelled. The next day, I knew. And, when the time is right, you will too.

G-d bless and hugs to both of you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest goddessgina

I agree with your decision 110%. I only made that decision for Sadie when she didn't have that spark in her eyes anymore and I knew she was in pain. Enjoy your time with your sweetie.

Guest nerak254
Her appetite has decreased lately and she's really not herself - very little energy. She's just not my happy, bouncy baby.

Last night I noticed that her abdomen looked swollen/mushy/fluidy. Norm took her at 7:30 to our vet - he said there was too much fluid for him to even do an x-ray and sent him straight over to an internist for an ultrasound. The internal doc can't do the ultrasound until 11:00 - 2 more hours. Our vet, while not specializing w/Greys, said he was leaning toward either congestive liver or heart failure. I am completely and utterly at a loss ... she's only 5 ...

I'm sitting here at work crying - Norm is going to stay with her at home until he takes her to the internist @ 11. All I want to do is pick up and leave, but damnit I can't ...

I can't think straight ... if it's either one of those things - is there anything that can be done at all??

3:30 - I'm waiting on a call from the internist. Norm and I talked and it's not good. The swelling is from fluid, not a swollen organ. The ultrasound showed that she every lobe of her liver has a mass. She took some fluid to send off - it was clear, not pussy. Those results will be back on Thursday and that should point us in a more definitive direction ... evidently they will contain cancer cells. If the liquid doesn't show, we've got another procedure scheduled for Friday morning for them to get some cells from one of the masses with a needle. She gave her 2 meds ... Furosemide and Denosyl. Said to give her whatever she wants to eat and we'll find out more on Thursday. I asked Norm if she said whether or not she could operate and remove them and I could tell he didn't want to tell me, but that she put it in the context that if there was only 1 mass - they could do something. But they're so many. He said you could see them all so well on the ultrasound....

I don't know what to do with myself except cry here at work and wait for the doctor to call me so I can talk to her. Norm told me as much as he could but he was so upset ...

She's only 5 ... just 5 ... she's just a baby ...

-----------------------------------------------------

5:12 - just got off the phone with the vet. Really nice lady - she said if I have any questions at all please do not hesitate to call. She said there are multiple masses within her liver, multiple lobes - varying density. I asked specifically if it was operable and she said no. Asked what the prognosis was and she said she really wanted to wait until the fluid results come back on Thursday ... that she's been proven wrong and she would like to wait and see to determine what the prognosis and possible treatment would be. I asked her if Flecka is in pain and she said no, just quite uncomfortable and I asked if the diuretics would help that and she was honest and said they may not react at all on this fluid ... :(

I'm leaving work ... I can't think - I feel like I can't breathe. She's my baby ... my BABY ... she's my lovebug, my cuddler, my heart ...

I apologize for copying this from an email, but I can't see my computer screen ....

Fluid results shows "transudate" - which means either liver failure, right heart failure or cancer

No cancer cells in fluid, but that's not uncommon if they haven't broken away from the masses

I'm going to bring her in at 8 tomorrow morning and leave her there for a couple of hours to do a liver function test ... it's 2 blood draws, 2 hours apart after 8 hours of fasting. The only thing this will show us definitively is whether or not she's in liver failure.

If she's already in liver failure, there's basically not much we can do and without medical intervention her time is very short ... probably less than a week.

Best case scenario is not in liver failure, we'd have to biopsy to see what the masses are and see if there is something we can correct (i.e., lymphoma with chemo, infectious agents - but not likely).

Worse case is that she's in liver failure already

She didn't eat this morning and I found 2 piles of vomit - she came wake me up at 2 to go outside. I didn't get a tail wag at all this morning and I really think she gave me 'the eyes'.

I told Dr. Garron that I'd bring her in the morning to confirm with the tests that it's liver failure ... I feel I owe that much to my baby ...

If it's liver failure, I think I'm going to bring her home and try to say our goodbyes and bring her back to Dr. Garron. I can't imagine waiting a week or less to watch her continue to decline to die on us at home when we can't control it ... and that she may be in pain or be uncomfortable.

The diarrhea and vomit are most likely the results of the liver failure progressing ...

i think I'm going to go throw up now ... i am just devastated

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Friday, 2/15 - Flecka and I are off to the vet in a little bit for her liver function blood draws. Norm asked me last night why I'm doing them ... for me or for her, and I couldn't answer. I just owe it to her to be sure. Norm slept on the couch last night so Flecka could sprawl out in bed with me ... her swelling has made it to where she can't curl up in her little ball. We laid by each other all night, touching ... God how I love this little girl. I don't know what today we'll bring - but if you've got some spare prayers and good thought, we could sure use them.

Thank everyone ... for being so supportive ... it's been a really crappy week.

Gail

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, how do I say this .... but it's just not time yet. Of course I am worried that I'm being selfish, but when I asked her to go for a ride this morning she smiled and wagged her tail at me. She stayed at the vet from 8 - 11, they did the 2 blood draws for the liver function test and hopefully we'll have those results tomorrow to confirm liver failure. The vet is an extraordinary woman ... when I picked Flecka up, I told her that I know it's her job to save them ... but I asked her if Flecka was HER dog, was today the day. She said no ... no because she feels Flecka is not in pain and no, because Flecka hasn't let ME know yet that it was time. She said when Flecka came in the room with her and saw me she just brightened up and she still has some kick in her step. She's actually lost a pound a half, which is good she says because she's considering that's fluid. She sent me home with 7-days worth of meds ... a lot of them ... 2 for the liver, 2 diuretics, 2 vitamins that the liver normally produces, something to help with the diarrhea and something else if she starts vomiting again. I stopped and got her a 10-piece chicken nugget meal from McDonald's and just gave her all of her pills ... :)

I think Norm is upset with me because I didn't do it today ... he's upset, but feels if it's inevitible - why am I putting everyone thru this. I, for me, and for my girl ... I need to know without a doubt that she's in liver failure. I need to know I've done what I could. But I will say that if I thought for a momemnt ... for one moment ... that she was in sort of pain - I would not, could not hesitate. But we're here today ... and we'll see what the results bring tomorrow hopefully and then we'll live in tomorrow. Today I'm going to love her and tell her over and over again how much she means to me. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

I think you did the right thing. This is pretty much what happened with Goody between Thanksgiving and mid January when she did tell me the day had come. During that period, she ate what she wanted doughnuts, pizza and whatever else struck her fancy. I asked my vet the same thing about what he would do if it was his dog. He said to give her what she wanted and told me about another dog who really liked doughnuts so that's what she got. Hugs for both of you and give her a doughnut from me and Goody. :bighug :bighug

PM me if you'd like

Edited by nerak254

No one knows your baby Flecka as well as you do. What ever you do will be the right thing for Flecka, you will know what is right. :grouphug:hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Cash knows something is wrong ... she keeps smelling her little sister. Is this normal?

We are living for today ... tomorrow we'll live for tomorrow ...

I know that they can tell - when our Angel Vinnie got sick his Uncle Higgins (and officemate, they both came into our office everyday) changed how he interacted with him. Before he got sick, they would play so hard you would think they were killing each other and after he got sick they would play softly while laying down next to each other. Tug of war was always funny - every time that Higgins won he would stuff the toy back in Vinnie's mouth so they could play again! Some adjustments had to be made after he became a tripod but it never slowed them down. But you could see Higgins always going over to him and touching him - nose, paw - always checking him. Perfectly normal for Cash to do the same thing.

We too learned how to live for today and we created as many memories as we could in the days that we had. Those memories helped to get us through when Vinnie said it was time to let him go. We had a wonderful weekend of spoiling and playing and making sure that he was able to say goodbye to everyone. The day before he went to the Bridge was a beautiful sunny day and he was in our backyard running at full speed with his Uncle. You would never know that he was sick - he was happy and loving and he was able to say goodbye in his own way and with the dignity he deserved.

You will know when it is time - she will find just the right way to let you know. For now, just love on her as much as you can. We will add her to our prayer chain and will keep you all in your thoughts. I hope that the doctor will have better news for you, it's so hard to lose your baby no matter what, but when they are young, it seems to be even harder, we know and understand - Vinnie was 14 months when he went to the Bridge. Hugs to you all and Scritches to Flecka and Cash.

Checking in and sending my love to Flecka. Hugs to her family too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

One day at a time.

Prayers to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh Gail, I only just read this whole thread. I am so dreadfully sorry. :cry1 I would have done exactly the same as you in your situation. Until I was 100% sure, I'd always do whatever I could to extend life. Go with your gut. Flecka will tell you when she's ready, and you love her so very much, you will know when it's the right time.

Keeping you in my thoughts and sending many hugs. Hang in there. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry. I was devastated losing Magic last week at almost nine years old. . I am thinking of you as you have to make the terrible decision. My prayers to both of you. I know you'll know when Flecka is ready.

Lynn

Missing Pepper,Magic,Kahlua, Hobbit Ziggy Jasper and Bella

Guest HeatherDemps

Good news! I hope that you get more answers and even better news on Monday. As others have mentioned, I think you will know when it is time. When she isn't interested in treats or her favorite things anymore, you'll know... Continued prayers for more healing and recovery.

Guest houndlover

My thoughts are with you and Flecka. I don't think that you are being selfish at all. I think that you are taking all of the steps that you need to so that you feel okay with whatever the outcome is. There are many people on this site that I'm sure have been through something similar and I'm sure that there are many tough decisions involved in the whole process. Give your baby lots of love. :grouphug

Oh Gail I'm so sorry :(

Is Flecka seeing the folks in Mandeville? The Louisiana Veterinary Referral Center? IF so the folks there are wonderful and the docs are amazing people.

This sounds similar to what we went through with Weenie :( Swelling in the abdominal area, xrays, ultrasound's and all those things pretty much showed what it sounds like they are seeing in Flecka.

Needle biopsy of masses were taken but didn't show much cause I guess Hemangio the cells are tightly packed and it's hard to get a true positive to that is what it is.

Some Positive? Weenie did respond well to the Diuretics and we were able to share another good month together.

:grouphug : :grouphug :

IF you need someone to chat with or just cry with, feel free to give me a call.

This sounds like the same thing with Dear...hermangio sarcoma....attaches to the liver, heart, spleen, kidneys. Dear stopped eating...this is good if Flecka is still eating...perhaps its not hermangio. I pray its not.

The tumor cells didn't show up in the aspiration on Dear either, that's why I was so hopeful.

I literally hate this. :grouphug

The waiting and the tests and the waiting some more - it's all the what ifs that drive you crazy! And it doesn't matter if it is a furkid or a skinkid - either way you want to know that if they get sick you do everything you can to make them better. I know how worried you are that you may be doing this more for her than you, how we finally came to the decision is if you say ok its time and after he/she is gone you find out that she could have been cured with something simple - could you live with yourself? If your pup is not hurting and in uncontrollable pain, I think you are doing the right thing for you and her. You have already said that if you know she is hurting you will let her go - that tells you right there that you will know when the time is right.

I hope that she is comfortable through the weekend and that you will be able to go in for the other tests. And even more - that those tests will give you the answers you need. Keeping you both in our prayers.

Guest MomofCash

Sunday night ... my Baby is gone ... she started having difficulty breathing today and was not doing well at all. She wouldn't eat, couldn't hardly lay down and gave me those eyes ... as hard as it was to do, I knew what had to be done. My heart is broken ... how I love that baby girl ...