Chance (fortified Heart)

Hallie

What do you say about the perfect dog? The dog who could cleanly snatch a single slice of pizza out of the pie on the counter in the blink of an eye; the dog who would greet me at the door just as joyfully if I'd taken the garbage out as he would if I'd been gone a week; the dog who would do his 'Crazy Boy' spinning and jumping after dinner every night. The perfect dog who could destroy a stuffie in record time and had to inspect every shopping bag that came into the house just in case Mommy had brought him a boney.

What I can say is that his name was Chance and he was a beloved member of my family for seven wonderful years. A few weeks ago I noticed a limp. To make a long and tragic story short, we ended up getting the dreaded Osteosarcoma diagnosis. Chance knew something was wrong - no more spinning and jumping, no more interest in food, the greeting at the door was done from his bed with a tail-wag. Even on our short walks he whimpered and seemed confused.

We really had no choice but to let our boy go last night. He was not in terrible pain, but was uncomfortable and not himself. As I said, he wasn't interested in eating which was his passion, and couldn't move around much without whining or moaning, so there wasn't much quality there. We had to let him know we loved him enough to set him free. The passing was easy for him…not so much for us.

We buried him in the backyard, in a place we can see from the windows; a place that will be sunny and warm come Spring. Hopefully by then, our hearts will have begun to heal.

Godspeed my sweet Chancey-boy. We love you always. :cry1:brokenheart

2209736026_89fdfbecb7.jpg

2218037451_7a038ec794.jpg

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DoofBert

Osteo, chondro, anything that end in sarcoma is such a horrible word.

Let your memories of Chance fill you heart and when it's quiet in the house, let your heart feel his love. He'll be with you...

Chance has probably teamed up with with the other bridge angels and has leanred where to find the good treats by now. And he's running free without pain....

I'm so sorry Nancy. Your tribute was beautiful. You let him go with so much love. Thinking of you and your family, and sending hugs. :grouphug :grouphug

:f_white :f_white :f_white

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry for your loss. Your sweet boy, Chance, is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Chance, Fortified Heart, what a beautiful and amazing name for a wonderful grey. Chance's forever home is in your heart. May peace and comfort find you today. Godspeed sweet boy.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Winterwish

Sending my deepest condolences to you and your family. Your boy Chance sounds like a very beautiful soul. He's part of each of you forever. :grouphug

Run,play,and fly free Chance sweetheart ~ :candle:f_pink:gh_child:f_pink:candle