Put To Rest At Home Or Vet?

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Guest jettcricket

I'm so sorry to hear that your baby is nearing her time. I know for myself, I will do it at home.

Sending support and sympathy.....it's never easy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having to make the same decision for my dear Chance in the next couple of days (he has OS). My vet was very sweet in offering to come to my house to help him make the crossing. Chance hates the vets, and that was my biggest worry about letting him go. We feel there's no use prolonging his agony or ours - he's not going to get better. We have his grave dug in the back yard so he'll always be near.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. :crying:brokenheart

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Freddie was terrified of the vet's office so we opted to let him go at home.

China was released at the vet's because we didn't even know she had OS until she started screaming at 7:30 in the morning so we had rushed her to his office.

It was very hard for me knowing that Freddie would be leaving us at a specific time. I kept looking at the clock and hoping the vet would have a wreck or an emergency patient or anything that would keep her from ringing my doorbell.

Neither way is easy.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's a tough time, and making these decisions are never easy.

A few years ago I had to let both of my huskies go, each a year apart. The both loved the vet's office (strange, I know), but being very sick, I knew they would be much more comfortable spending their last day at home. In each case, we sat out on the deck in the sun all day until the vet came in the afternoon. Our vet spent time with us and the dogs, talking to us, explaining what was going to happen and what could happen (vocalizations, struggling, etc.). We took our time. When we were ready our vet gave the injections and cried with us. We opted for cremation, so our vet and her tech took our pups with them and managed all those logistics for us.

Having this done at home certainly didn't lessen our grief, but it made it private with no sense of rushing or distraction, because you know you and your pet are the only thing your vet is focusing on. At least that's how we felt. You also don't have to face the waiting room as you're leaving the office.

Here, it's not practical to have the vet come to the house because we're pretty open plan and we don't have anywhere quiet away from the other dogs, so with those who have been very unhappy going into the vets surgery, we've arranged to drive there but to have the vet come out to the car and do what he has to do there.

I'm very sorry you're having to make these decisions :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I've had a cat euthanized at home, and a dog at the vet.

Here is what I think: it was BRUTALLY painful to watch my vet carry my cat's lifeless body away (in a trash bag--the cat lost control of his bowels during the euthanasia). The peacefulness of euthanizing him at home was destroyed by that image.

My dog was 75 pounds, and I could not carry him, so I had to put him down before it became impossible for me to get him to the vet. My vet was very kind and carring--she even laid a soft blanket on the floor for him. The vet will give the dog drugs to make it very, very sleepy before actually administering the drug that will stop his heart. So the dog was laying quietly on the floor with his head in my lap when he was sent on to -- wherever they go!

When he was gone, she let me stay with him as long as I wanted.

Although it was very painful, I can't even imagine the pain of watching my vet attempting to move him out of my building and into her vehicle. So unless you're prepared to carry your dead dog out of your condo into your car and take it to wherever it needs to go (another benefit to having it done at my vet was that the people who were cremating him came to pick him up from her office), that's probably the biggest thing to consider.

Bless your heart for wanting what is best for your dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Although it was very painful, I can't even imagine the pain of watching my vet attempting to move him out of my building and into her vehicle. So unless you're prepared to carry your dead dog out of your condo into your car and take it to wherever it needs to go (another benefit to having it done at my vet was that the people who were cremating him came to pick him up from her office), that's probably the biggest thing to consider.

Bless your heart for wanting what is best for your dog!

Our vet brought a vet tech with her and they took Freddie to their vehicle on a stretcher.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I'd probably care more about whether the dog felt stress than whether we do--I know *we're* going to be stressed.

When Simon died in July, I felt enough urgency about having it done before she became stressed or suffered more and had it done at the vet, where we'd brought her when she collapsed. But I've woken up a million times in the night since then wishing I'd asked if they could come do it after work, as one of my vets once told me she could when the time came for our guys.

In the end, I really don't know if it mattered to Simon. She seemed calm and ate peanutbutter and cheese there at the vet's. It would matter more to my scared of the vet boys, I think.

I'm so sorry you are facing this decision. When we let Lenny go in December it was at home. I have a wonderful vet and she brought 2 techs with her to help with everything (in case I didn't want to hold him, to carry him). I'm so grateful that he got to be at home and our girls got to be there. The hardest part was waiting for the vet to come over - but I think the drive to the vet would have created the same feelings. I really wanted this for our other dogs and because he was having a hard time moving around.

To answer how he left our home - He was wrapped in his blanket to be carried to the car so that was not upsetting for me. There was only a little mess but I threw away the bed he was on (at the time anything that reminded me of him being sick got tossed - I could only keep things that made him happy).

I think going with your gut on what will make you and your dog most comfortable is the right answer. For me this was the only way - however reading other people's post that are for the vet I can see why that worked for them.

My thoughts are with you :grouphug

Kris & Lenny (B L Lessie)

IPB Image

Guest armanntoo

When our Percy passed a couple of years ago, the vet offered to come to the house. She knew that Percy was never comfortable at her office, and visits there were always stressful for him. When she arrived, he was laying on his blanket in the living room, with the other dogs and us beside him. There was no stress at all, and whenever possible, I would have her come to the house.

I just pray that there will be a long time between her visits to the house.

:grouphug I am so sorry! But I think if I had a choise, I also would do it at home. Again I am so sorry!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

This is what I am thinking bout now. Snowman hates the vets he shakes so bad and it is a struggle to get him in the place. Unfortunatly my vet doesnt come to the house but there is a mobil vet who does. Only issue for me is the $. It will be bit over 400 with cremation. I am going to do what I can to let it be at home so his last moments are safe and happy ones. So I say if you can do it at home.

First off, I am so sorry you are having to make this decision. It is the hardest.

I have to say, with Kona I was surprised. I almost had to call a vet to come here and do it, only because we could not pick her up without her turning vicious on us due to pain. But we got her in to the vet. It was the first time she was not totally stressed and panicked. It was very strange. This girl HATED the vets! Her final visit was so different. Like she knew.

Ultimately, I think you need to do what works best for you. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

The Girls

Guest DoofBert

Such a painful time...and, having lost our Sir D back in Octobers, I know where you are coming from....ask your vet if the cemetary/crematorium service they use at the practice will also come to your home. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I'd keep the stress on dear Allie to a minimum.

Hugs!

Odysseus was thrilled to see the vet come to our house. He thought that was a real treat. He had struggled to breath all night long (from OS metastisis) but perked right up when she showed up at the door. She visited with him awhile and talked to us before we had to say goodbye. We had him lie on some of his favorite blankets in case his bowels or bladder relaxed after but they didn't. We were very fortunate to then call the funeral home and they came to pick him up. We had went and picked out his casket a few days prior so they actually brought it in the living room and placed him in it there. We were then able to place other things in there that we wanted buried with him before they left with him. We had the "funeral" later that day although they said we could wait up to 2 weeks. I wish I would have waited at least a day or two to let everything process. One other thing that was really nice about having it done at home was while we were waiting on the funeral home to come, we let the other boys out to say goodbye. They seemed perfectly fine with this and did not seem to go through a grieving process later due to this closure. I also think they knew it was coming for awhile because they could smell the cancer. Having it done at home was very peaceful but I don't think either way makes the end result of losing them any easier. I am very sorry that you are having to make this decision. I know you are cherishing every last moment. :grouphug

Guest PittyPat

It sounds as if you vet has a wonderful and understanding relationship to you. I can't think of a more peaceful way to go to the bridge than at my own home surrounded by people who love me.

Whatever decision you choose you will know is the right one.

Guest Forgreys
First, thank you to all who have offered me support. This is not the first time I have been through this, but it feels as painful each time.

Allie's throat is getting worse. The pain medications have helped her LS tremendously and the antibiotics seems to help her breathe and eat. In fact, she has eaten a fair amount, still seems hungry and convinced me to give her my dinner last night. However, I can see the mass growing in her neck and see she is just getting slower. She sleeps peacefully and does not seem to be suffering, but she is not improving. My wife and I long ago agreed to try and do the right thing and not make her tell us it is time, but do it so her last day is not painful.

Our vet is wonderful and she offered to come to our apartment to do it if we want. Part of me loves that idea because it is hard for Allie to get in the car and the vet is not her favorite place because of the barking (she hates kennels). I imagine inviting over some people who love her so her final minutes can be relaxed and maybe just have the vet do it while she sleeps on her favorite bed. Many people recommend against this because the vet has more control in her office, that it is more stressful at home for both the puppy and us and the logistics of moving a 70 pound dog when living in a condo.

Thank you in advance for advice and prayers.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have had all my former babes put to sleep AT HOME. It is much less stressful on the babe, and the vet can do just as well there. Plus, you will have much more peace about it. But do not lett her suffer too long. Please let her go with some dignity. Our babes do not have to be undignified and in constant extruciating pain before we can put our feelings in order. We can let them go with no pain yet and eating. My Sierra had a little morning walk before she crossed over.

First, I am so sorry that you are faced with this decision. We have had to let quite a few dogs and cats cross the bridge over the years and have always opted to have the vet come to our home if possible - I truly believe it is much less stressful for all concerned. I love your idea of having her favourite people over!

Edited by Pepsi2004
pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

I'm sorry that you are having to make this decision. They just don't stay with us long enough, do they? If you can do it at home, do it. While it's not easy, knowing they are in the home they know with the people they love, helps. The morning I helped Ellie, my Scottie, my sister came over about an hour before my vet did; we had El outside in the sun, drank a bloody mary and told silly stories about her. I did the same thing for my sister when she had to help two of her Labs, Abby and Spike. It doesn't make it any easier to get over, but I know that Ellie, Abby and Spike were where they needed to be when the time came.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest greyhoundrobbie

:weep

My beloved Allie passed this evening. The tumor had grown in her throat and she was starting to pant a lot. Our vet warned us once that happened, there was no return and she would eventually choke. The vet came to the apartment within two hours of my calling. Our dog walker and sitter also came, so Allie was surrounded by love. She was too uncomfortable to sit so the vet gave her a tranquilizer. Allie placed her head on her favorite teddy bear, one she had for 8 years, and rested on both my wife and me. She went within a couple of minutes. The vet did not rush us, but let us all cry and tell stories. She was telling us that Allie was one of her favorites. They took her on a stretcher wrapped in blankets. I have no regrets doing this at home. For those of you in the Chicago area, the Hyde Park Animal Clinic is staffed with saints. Their compassion throughout Allie's deterioration and at the end has brought me some peace, relatively speaking.

My heart is broken and part of me died with her. I know she is not suffering and just pray greyhound heaven is something more than we could have given her on earth (which I am just not sure is possible). Now I just have to get used to not having my big girl around. Cleaning will be hard and gathering her belongings to donate to the greyhound kennel even harder. I never thought there was a downside to a grey, but not I am just angry I did not get those years with her she was stuck on a track. We will adopt again, but I know we need some time first. Ideally our future, cures for LS, cancer and all the other cruel diseases that take our puppies will be cured.

Thank you for all your support. It really has been helpful for me to know I am in a community of other fanatics who have no problem showing their love for these magnificent pets.

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry. I do hope your wonderful memories of Allie will take over the pain of losing her soon. She is lucky to have been surrounded by so much love. :grouphug

:bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug I am so sorry!!!! Just know we will see them again, I know it hurts but it makes me feel better to know that I will one day see my Champ again.

:gh_run2 Run Free Allie

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter