Shae-leigh, Princess Of All She Surveys

RhodyGreys

Thirteen years should be a good long time. It feels like just a moment, a blink of an eye.

Shae-Leigh, I remember when you were called Dee Dee, and when we first met you at the adoption kennel. You were pressed against the back of your crate, and then my step-daughter, age three, crawled right in with you and you kissed her and stepped out, looking hesitantly at me. You were shiny and black and ran with your back feet up in the air like a jackrabbit, and you quietly fit right in. You were always a little scared though, my darling, after what your first adopters did to you (turned you out of the house in the middle of a snowstorm so that you had to crawl under a neighbor's porch for days for shelter). Michelle's 11 now, and she will miss you terribly.

Shae (short for Shadow, Leigh to rhyme with Dee) was never a crowd hound and relied on the boy hounds in our house to protect her. The only complaint we ever heard from her was on the day we brought Ringo and Geordie home and she snapped and snarled. Otherwise she was sweet, and cute, and a chow hound, and the dawdler who wanted to stay out in the back of the yard until the last moment. She had fur like a bunny, but thick, thick and soft, until the months near the end. We watched her face go from mostly black to thin and frail and white. We watched her feet knuckle under from arthritis. We watched her dignity disappear.

Today, at 12:40 p.m., Shae went to join her brothers Lucky, Cooper, Dustin, and Stretch at the Bridge. It was a very easy passing, and Shae didn't even get up when my vet walked into the room. My my vet consoled me: it was more than likely kidney failure, or cancer, and Shae had most definitely left behind any good days at all.

I miss my baby, my marshmallow girl who was scared of everything. Yet, I don't feel at all guilty anymore: it was the right thing to do, neither a day too soon nor a day too late.

Eternal Sleep

for Shae-Leigh, December 18, 2007

On your last day, you laid your head

On the softest blanket, and I said

She's ready to tread where the angels tread

Though I want to keep her here instead.

On your last day, you met my eyes

Told me you were ready to say goodbye

Without fuss or fight or the smallest cry

Your spirit went soaring into the sky.

On your last day, you ate a meal

You ate with gusto, you ate with zeal

Big brown eyes turned on me to steal

My heart again, in a moment so real...

On your last day, you took a stroll

I could see how the years had taken a toll

Through the coat you shivered, my only goal

Became your comfort, though it tore my soul.

You sniffed the wind, you ate your food

You did everything you thought you should

But nothing more, then you lay down to sleep

Your sleep was peaceful, your sleep was deep...

I saw your legs twitch while you snoozed in the sun

And I knew all you wanted to do was run

From your failing body, to soar with the stars:

What a gift were those last moments of ours.

You gave us the sweetest, most loving years:

I will miss being able to stroke your ears

I will miss being able to calm your fears

I will miss being able to dry my tears.

I will miss every day that we do not share,

But I know that someday, I will meet you there

At the Rainbow Bridge, at heaven's gate.

No matter the years that you have to wait.

Don't worry dear girl, I will keep you safe

Here in my heart, in a sheltered place.

© 2007 m.e. holderbaum

post-7247-1198005062_thumb.jpg

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DoofBert

SHea Leigh....run with wind the sweet girl and spread your light across the sky...We'll look for your star. YOu are in good company.....rest on the clouds and send your momma a sign every once in while so she knows you are close.

It's never easy.....let happy memories rule your heart and force all sadness away!

Hugs,

Jayne

Oh Meri, I'm so sorry she had to leave you, but I'm know she is watching over you. :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I'm so sorry your girl had to go but I am glad to hear her passing was peaceful and helped you to be 100% sure you did the right thing. Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem with us. :grouphug Sweet dreams Shae-leigh. You will be missed.

I am so sorry too. She sounds like a wonderful girl, who will always be loved and missed. I love that you call her your marshmallow.... Rest in peace, pretty, elegant lady.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Guest PhillyPups

I am truly sorry for your loss, and know how deep the pain is, and how deep these old gals get into our bones ~ tears and hugs for you ~ there are no words to heal the hole left deep in our hearts

Mere,

Thank you for loving Shae-leigh and giving her a wonderful home. She will always be with you in spirit.

Godspeed Shae-leigh, you are greytly missed.

:f_pink:gh_run2:f_pink

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Carla

I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. Know that my Angels were there to lend a guiding paw. I know how much it hurts~our Angel LaceyLaine age 13 had to leave us 2 weeks ago...My deepest sympathy and prayers. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.