Cali (jf's Glory) 9/7/95 - 11/3/07

Guest greygirls2

Guest greygirls2

It is with extreme sadness and a shattered heart that I write this post. Cali left us for the Bridge after taking a very sudden turn for the worse on Sat. She woke up early Sat. morning about 3am to go out and pee, when she came back in she got a drink and went back to bed. Just a few minutes later everything she drank came back up . And so started the rhythm for the rest of the morning. She was ravenously thirsty so I was carefully rationing the water so she wouldn't drink it too fast but still it came back up along with each of the meds I administered. It was quite obvious that she was getting sicker and about 10 am she was almost totally unresponsive when I went to check on her napping. None of the vets out here have weekend office hours, I did have my vet's home phone but she'd recently got married and that number has been disconnected. Needless to say I panicked....I called my close friend next door and she and her husband, both nurses rushed over. When I went to open the door for them here comes Cali walking down the hall with her blankie on her back. I was shocked because only minutes before I couldn't even get her to look at me or swallow the water I was trying to give her. She went back in the kitchen, took a drink and promptly threw it back up. Then she went in to the other room to lay down and that was the last time she stood. She was obviously getting very dehydrated, her heart rate was down to 100 and it was clear she was fading, so we carried her out to the car and my DIL Angie and I rushed her out to Tufts emergency clinic. They took her right in on a gurney and got to work hooking her up to IV's, doing a mini scan and evaluating her condition. The first scan showed an enlarged liver and a small amount of free fluid in the abdominal cavity. By the time the Dr.s consulted with us and decided on a full ultrasound the second scan showed massive amounts of fluid and blood accumulating in the abdomen........within just one hour. Obviously the liver issues were way more grave than any of us realized. When I went in to see her and I put my arm around her to give her a hug her tummy was distended and hard, she was very lethargic, barely responding and obviously frightened. The IV fluids going in and sending her heart rate up put pressure on the already damaged tissues and that's what caused the leaking into the tummy. I decided right then to forget the ultrasound and just let her go. They gave us some time with her then came in and we held her, told her what a wonderful girl she was, how much we loved her and would greatly miss her while she slipped peacefully away. We spent a little more time with her and carefully removed her jammies that she had been wearing and her collar. They snipped a little fur from her neck for me and made a clay cast of her paw print. I went in with a beautiful loving grey and came out with a little bag of her belongings...it was surreal. We were all in shock at how fast this progressed and the outcome....my own vet doesn't even know yet and I dread making that call tomorrow....................... Quite the opposite of what we thought were just some minor liver issues that we could handle. The blood work had only come back on Friday morning with elevated liver enzymes but not alarmingly so and 24hrs later she was gone.

Cali was my first greyhound, she is the love of my life, my heart and soul.She brought great joy and love to my life. Because of her I adopted Tessa. Those two girls...both gone from me now, it doesn't seem possible......were the best greys ever. They both did a wonderful job when I started fostering, showing the new dogs the ropes and helping them learn the stairs, how to use the potty pen etc. Because of Cali I met a wonderful friend from Alabama on the Internet when I was researching info on greys and wether they would be a good match for me. We soon learned that we found we had a lot in common besides the greys. Because of her guidance and good advice I adopted Cali. She came out here to visit in 99' for two weeks by round trip on Greyhound bus! When she left she invited us all down to Alabama and especially wanted Scott, my middle son, to come out to visit as he was close to her son's age and she thought he'd enjoy it. That August he took her up on the offer and went out for two weeks but ended staying for months and in the year 2000 he returned home with a wife....my wonderful daughter in law Angie. Cali made that happen.....if I hadn't been looking to adopt a grey I would never have met my friend on the net, she'd never have come out here and Scott would never have visited Alabama and met his wife. Cali's legacy will live on in our hearts forever. This morning when I woke up from a lousy night trying to sleep I suddenly realized that I would never again hear the sweet sound of her Roooo. That broke my already shattered heart. There is so much more that I could tell you about my 9 years with this wonderful girl but I'd need to write a book. I'm completely heartbroken and can't seem to stop crying. I know I need to stop because she wouldn't want me to be so upset and I am trying with all my might.

Run free Cali and never be sick again....give Tessa a sweet kiss and tell her I think of her often. I love you both more than words can say.....go rest now on the softest of Angel's wings.................................I promise to smile when I cherish both of your memories. I will continue to foster in honor of both my girls because I know that's what they would want me to do, helping others get the loving homes they deserve. JJ knows she's gone and he slept with his head cradled on Cali's jammies last night to savor her scent and presence. Our new foster. Diamond, who came off the Hinsdale track on Thursday is helping to keep him occupied and ease his pain, she is a sweetheart. I'm beginning to think that Cali timed it this way.............................. Hold your pups close to your hearts and cherish every second because you never know when they will be gone forever..........

:(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VelvetEars

I know how hard it is to loose one so fast, and my heart goes out to you. It has been 16 days since Porsche left us, and I still wake up every day hoping it was just a bad dream.

Many hugs.

Guest darlene

I'm so very sorry you had to let your beautiful girl go, but you loved her too much to see her suffer. She left knowing she was loved! :bighug:bighug:f_pink:f_pink Run free Cali :gh_run

Guest bowiebears

I am so sorry that Cali has gone from this world...but your love for her lives on in the love you share.

One day we will all be reunited at The Bridge.

--isaac

Guest TriciasZoo

I am so so sorry. You are in my heart. Sending prayers and thoughts for you. You are, as you have been, in my prayers as I light my nightly prayer candle.

Sending love and huggles,

Trish and the Zoo

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug I'm so sorry. I lost my girl Simon very suddenly not long ago, and I know that state of shock you're feeling. Sending strength to you for the days and weeks ahead. Remember what a wonderful life you gave your sweet girl and all the happiness she had because of you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Cali sounded like a wonderful companion. I saw your post on CoG and posted there as well. May you hold her memories close forever.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm very sorry for the sudden loss of your heart dog. :brokenheart She left a rich legacy with you and your family, and will forever live on in your heart. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Cali... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet angel Cali. :f_pink:f_pink

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.