Thoughst For Fluffy

Guest Hannah

madam fluffy had what we thought was a serious wobbly today - thankfully dh was home (car in garage) - he spoke to our normal vet who advised him to stuff suggary stuff in her

last time she loved this and even in a hypoglycemic state swallowed it down

apparently this time she didnt and stopped swallowing

dh phoned our vet and had another conversation, with no car we couldnt get to him so she and he have gone to the local vets my parents use - my dad took him and i think may have left him there but I am not sure.

she stopped swallowing the golden syrup in warm water and dh said she stopped moving and twitching and the only reason he knew she was still alive was that when he spoke to her her eyes moved

shes with the vet now and apparently is on oxygen and has an iv of some kind - he didnt ask and isnt in with her

and i am stuck at work feeling fit to burst into tears

please spare my fluffy monster some thoughts

thank you

Hannah

UPDATE

I spoke to DH again and he and dad were on their way home, fluffy is staying overnight. I got very little info out of DH other than she was stayig at the vets and they think that she had had a major major major hypoglycemic attack and suspect that the diet and weight loss may have kick started her pancreas into producing insulin again.

so I phoned them and spoke to a lovely receptionist who said that DH and my dad both seemed shaken and unsure of what to do. She put me through to the vet who has dealt with fluffy and he was grateful i had called and asked lots of questions about medical history. I ran through hyperthyroid and treatment and then through the suddenly diabetic (practically overnight). through the wobble we had a month ago and the fructosamine test results. how i switched her food over so she was on low fat tinned food, when I swapped her and what insulin she is using and how many units.

their vet (michael i think his name is) said she had suffered a massive hypoglycemic attack and is fairly certain that she will have lost weight (I told him her weight when we started this) and said the severity of the attack couldnt have been brought on by a unit overdose it would have needed to be many units over - she gets 4.5 units at a time so he suspects her pancreas is producing insulin again but they are running some tests to see. he said she has had an oxygen mask on and a warm sugar solution drip in her leg. she was starting to come round and looked like she wasnt impressed with the mask or drip :rolleyes:

I warned him she is a bit of a pre-madonna and when she decides she wants something she shouts about it until she gets it - he laughed and said he would warn adele who is her assigned nurse that she needed plenty of love, attention and cuddles. they will offer food later but will not give insulin, they also noted the seraquin and will make sure she gets one in the morning.

adele will phone later with an update or we can call about 7pm if we have not heard from her.

estimared bill £300 - 400 providing they don't need to do anything else beyond the planned tests.

I feel drained and shaken

thank you all

hannah - still stuck at work

Ooooh Hannah - how horrid for Fluffy and for you (stuck) :(

Sending lots of good thoughts for both of you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

So glad you could speak to the vet, I'm sure that eased your mind some. It sounds like they have things under control though, right? I hope Fluffy improves quickly and shows the vet's office who's the boss. ;)

Oh my word. When she is all better and home again, tell her she must NEVER do anything like that EVER AGAIN!!!!!! Especially when you're at work and scared witless at your desk.

Sending hugs and little kitty scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Madame Fluffy, we kitties in North Dakota want you to get better right away and not to yell down the vet's office walls *too* much!

Squeeker & Mutti

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

thanks all, home again and feeling a bit less shaky

waiting for adele to call or 7pm to arrive so I can call her I will let you all know when I know something.

thanks again for all the good thoughts, the boys and Holly keep looking for her :(

hannah

Frustrating to be somewhere you don't want to me. Good thoughts your way.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

I spoke to the nurse, Fluffy is sat up and hoovering up a bowl full of food and 'talking' :lol

they are going to monitor her blood glucose levels overnight and carefully administer insulin if needed.

I can phone tomorrow, as they apparently have 40 overnight patients it will help if I can wait until lunchtime and then they can give a full report of overnight and vet checkup in the morning and hopefully will be able to tell me when she can come home.

thanks again for all the good thoughts, fingers crossed for an uneventful night so my little girl can come home tomorrow.

"talking"--way to go, Fluffy! You tell them, girl!

Hannah, I know the car being on the fritz isn't generally considered a "good thing" . . . . but if your DH hadn't been home . . . . yikes!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Sounds like madame is bouncing back in typical Fluffy fashion! I had a cat that was diagnosed diabetic and thyroid out of whack. Once her thyroid was under control, after about six months on insulin, her pancreas statrted producing insulin again :blink: I didn't know it was possible to "get over" diabetes, but apparently it isn't that unusual in cats if the diabetes is secondary to another condition.

whatever, many prayers for Madame Fluffy to come home soon!

Hoovering and talking is always good (in a cat) :D

Is she at 'the place' (the one I don't really want to think about) in Knaresborough?

Hoping for a good report after lunch :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

no news overnight so I am assuming thats good

Hoovering and talking is always good (in a cat) :D

Is she at 'the place' (the one I don't really want to think about) in Knaresborough?

Hoping for a good report after lunch :)

no :( I would have preferred it but she is at my parents vet in dewsbury, our car is poorly and in the garrage so we had to go with what was closest and we could get to with lifts and public transport.

it was very odd only feeding two cats and holly this morning and I still found myself half an hour after feeding automatically opening the fridge and picking up the insulin bottle :lol

about 3 hours until I can call, hope I can survive that long :lol and all being well I will be posting that I am going to sneak of work a couple of hours early to go get her.

thanks again for all the good thoughts

Hannah

I spoke to Adele - temporary vet - and I also spoke and discussed things with my normal vet

I then spoke to adele again and when she knew who my normal vet was was much happier with why I was asking some of the things I have asked. apparently she knows him and has either done some training or been part of some referral with him.

Fluffy was fed last night and her glucose levels monitored. at one point they rose above what they were happy with and they gave her 2 units of insulin. she was monitored and her levels came down a bit too far so she got a bit more food (and she didnt complaing about that :lol )

she is still wobbly so they want to keep her another 24 hours :(

she has eaten this morning and has just had one unit of insulin and is so doing great. they all love her dearly and think she is fantastic (I suspect this is why they want to keep her :lol ) but when they discovered her age (the one thing I forgot to tell them yesterday) they were shocked, they had guessed at 10 years old.

they have done full blood works and a couple of things (kidney and something else) are a little high but that could be either age (they were working on a 10 year old not a 17 year old) or just a little stress from yesterday so they are not worried.

they said they gave her a seraquin tablet and she grabbed it with much gusto :lol they were worried that she wasnt walking very well almost dragging her feet. I assured them that this is perfectly normal for fluffy :lol

they asked if we wanted to go see her but I said no. if we go she will assume its to collect her and bring her home and then she will get all upset when we leave her.

As I said they all say they love her dearly and can see the primadonna attitude radiating off her. while I was on the phone she could see fluffy and she was stretched out on her back glowering at everyone who walked past without rubbing her tummy :rolleyes: she has only been with then 24 hours but she has them at her beck and call :lol :lol

thank you everyone its been one heck of a 24 hours and hopefully in 24 more it will be over.

Hannah