3 Geriatric Dogs

Guest Tenderhearts

Guest Tenderhearts

But I'm so bunged up, I can't even do that. :(

Raven will hit the 14.5 year mark in November. Her hips were horrible when the oldest left her here over two years ago. She's been on the GlycoFlex III ever since, which she showed remarkable improvements with. I realize that it only slows the progression of arthritis, can't stop it, and doesn't cure it. The body eventually gives out. She stumbles more frequently, but gets right back up and off she goes. She still insists on her daily car rides. She still jumps up on the furniture, but it's not uncommon for her to stumble and lose her back footing when she jumps down.

Biscuit will be 13 in December, and stumbled and lost her back footing coming into the house from potty break yesterday. She's also on the GF III.

Toby has now stumbled several times over the past few days. Again, he's also on the GF III, and is between 13-14 years old (pound rescue-vet estimated age).

This is the toughest part about having multiple seniors, especially so close in age, and it's always in the back of my mind that things can go downhill fast, as they did with Lori Ann last year.

Don't get me wrong, I love them with all my heart, but just feeling overwhelmed today.

If you could spare a good thought or two for my 3 seniors, I'd appreciate it.

Actually Shiloh is a senior too (will be 10 in November), but she still bounces all over the place like a jackrabbit :lol

Guest loveagrey

Gettin old sucks. Chorney, our geriatric GS has terrible back end problems and stumbles, trips and regularly has her back end give out on her. Her head works great though! Chorney turned 12 in April and I hate to see her body not cooperating with her head.

It upsets me a lot to realize that our time with her is coming slowly to an end... I know exactly how you feel.

:grouphug I have often thought about how I will deal with Ace and Fritz as they get older. They're littermates, so they're exactly the same age, and Pinky is 2 years younger. I will likely have three geriatric dogs at once too!

I am sure it's not easy, but sounds like you've been doing everything you can for them (with the Glycoflex, etc.) and they seem to still have bright spirits, not letting the fact that their bodies are tired keep them from the things they want to do!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yes, this is the tough part of seniors, isn't it? :(

:bighug

I have both of mine on a heavy-duty joint formula, too. I wonder sometimes how much good it's doing, but I'm not about to stop it to find out! We do what we can.

Good thoughts to your three oldies. :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LolasMom

I'll keep you and your sweet family in my thoughts and prayers. I think I understand the feeling. I had three fur baby's all grow old at the same time: 13.5, 15, 18 (kitty). It was a tough couple of years, but also the most rewarding and touching time of my life. They led me to a special kind of love that goes beyond time and space. I think before them I was simply too defended to let myself feel that deeply. They made sure that wouldn't happen again. :lol I've been a big softy ever since. :blush

Edited by LolasMom

We learn to love them with all of our hearts while they are here with us,,cherish every moment! I am doing the same,, 13 1/2 yr and 12 1/2 yr senior greys here,, not to mention the almost 10 yr old with crazy tendon issues....... I hate watching them get older, but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them so much that it hurts!

prayers and warm thoughts coming from our Senior house, to your Senior house !

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

It's gone through my mind as well. In two weeks I have a 12 yr old and a month later littermates that turn 10. I have one young'un. I cringe when I read about others that have lost several in a year. I'm not sure how they do it. I don't think I can.

And as of right now, they all have boo-boos. The oldest Nana, has a hole in her butt. The size of a quarter. Vet doesn't have a clue how it happened but says that a chunk was actually sliced off. Not a bite. I have scoured my back yard trying to find something sharp enough to do that to her. But she's healing fine now.

I posted about a swelling in the hip. That's Pearl. I took all four to the chiropractor last saturday and she said that Diamond also had an out of wack joint. Her shoulder. In fact she studied the two sisters and concluded that they plowed into each other. Someone should have zigged instead of zagged. Diamond creamed Pearl in her hip with her shoulder.

Last night as I'm finally relaxing...........Brat comes in with a bloody face. Dang pup dove into the sticker bushes. She still had thorns in her ears. Sheesh.

So, I feel for you.................sometimes it is overwhelming!

I know. :grouphug Sending my prayers and good thoughts. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Tenderhearts
Her head works great though! Chorney turned 12 in April and I hate to see her body not cooperating with her head.

Exactly! Raven still insists on her daily car rides, and of course, I oblige. She insists on standing on her hind legs on the passenger seat with her front paws on the window, and has fallen back several times, just gets right back up. She sasses me, eats like a piggy, and is so good about taking her heart pills (they all line up because they all get a tidbit of PB).

And as of right now, they all have boo-boos.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest PiagetsMom
Gettin old sucks.

Yep, I make this remark to my husband quite frequently <_<

They're lucky to have you, and you're lucky to have them.....just love them as much as you can everyday :grouphug

Prayers, hugs and best wishes for your pack.

I too have 3-- 3 year olds and one senior. My 3, although young and carefree now, they will, GOD willing all grow old together at the same time. It's a tough thought. We don't think about it when they are young puppies. In our heads, they are always our puppies. Their bodies are telling us something different.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh DeVon... :cry1 It's just so damn hard to watch them slow down. Every minute is precious, every wag, every car-ride, every happily-gorged-upon meal... I know you know that. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We have 3 senior houndies (12yr & two 10yr). It is very difficult to watch their bodies grow fraile as their spirits remain very young. They teach us that every day is precious and take nothing for granted.

Hugs and scritches to all senior houndies everywhere! :kiss2:grouphug:gh_lay

Guest greytexplorer
Brat comes in with a bloody face. Dang pup dove into the sticker bushes. She still had thorns in her ears. Sheesh.

ok. so this could have been your description of me a couple of weeks ago when >a loud BANG out back sent me flying out the back door and thru the woods and brambles.......what a bloody mess I was!! :P

My mom told me many years ago that getting old was hell.

Yeah, it is!

But dang, I'm having a ball in spite of it!!!! :)

I know how you feel. Nevada's cushings disease has flared up again and I'm having to adjust her medication again. When she has to get additional Mitotane her back end gets weak & wobbly and at 15 years old, that's hard on her. Today her back end was weak & she wanted so bad to be on the sofa-so she would put her front end up there and then look at me to hoist her back end up there. Poor girlie-she looked so pathetic. But she sure enjoyed her nap on the sofa and looked so sweet. That face just keeps me going......... :wub:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Oh DeVon.... You and I both know how much we love our "old folks". We still know that the joy they bring us while they are here is worth so much more than the pain of losing them. Kiss the seniors from us and one for you too. Seniors really do ROCK!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Hugs from me and dribbly purrs from my senior (fluffy, 17) to you and your seniors

fluffy is on seraquin for her creaky joints and has recently started coming upstairs again so I guess its working :yay she can also go downstairs but much prefers to stand at the top and shout until a human slave comes and carries her down so she can ride on your shoulder and dribble in your ear :lol

getting old is a pain - says she who has just had to get reading glasses cos those evil people at the printing places have reduced the font size of everything :P

Guest longdogs

I worry about William. He's only 10 but has faded a lot this year after being so ill. Maybe he's just finding a new pace and is settling in for the long haul. Angel is a little dynamo though only 3 months younger. I can't imagine her slowing, I think she'll just stop suddenly in her tracks one day, in the distant future I hope.

You can never tell how things will work out. We lost Nugget, the youngest, fittest, most robust and healthy of our hounds. We used to think of her as indestructible - she once ate a large (expensive!) block of 70% cocoa-solid chocolate without turning a hair and we joked she was built like the proverbial Australian 'brick-outhouse' (a translation can be provided). We never thought she would be the first to go and it was a shock I still haven't put behind me. All we can do is enjoy our time with them even if, for some seniors, that time might be shorter than we would hope for.

Devon, I can really relate to what you are saying. Hobbes, at 13-1/2, is still "recuperating" from his vascular event of a month ago. We just go day-to-day with him, not knowing what to expect. His walk is so wobbly, his legs turn in and sometimes when standing he just sinks down. But he is eating well, seems very happy, still gets treats and is content (though demanding at times) to be with us.

As I follow him around the yard to be sure he doesn't fall I many times feel overwhelmed at the changes in him, at the daily worry "Is he ok? Are his feet knuckling again?" etc. etc. I know how you feel and there are some days that I have cried at the changes.

We love them so dearly that it hurts and is painful to see them fading away before our eyes. I guess that is the price for having these special seniors with us.

Sending you a big hug - although I know how you feel, you have all the worries 3 times over!

:grouphug

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest hamiesmom

I know this is a difficult time for you with having 3 beautiful seniors, but "bless your heart" for giving them such a loving home. Sending lots of warm hugs for you and your furbabies.

Guest PetersMom

It sounds like your seniors have a loving and wonderful home. I know it must difficult on your heart sometimes.

My parents have a senior who will be 13 in January. He is still quite spunky but tires from it more easily. It is hard to watch the changes in him. Seniors are so gracious and they give us as much happiness as we give them.

:grouphug to you and your sweet seniors...