Weird And Potentially Bad Result From Monty's Skin Biopsies

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Well, Monty's new derm vet, who is attentive, smart, and CALLS BACK, let me know today that indeed Monty has iatrogenic Cushings. We are weaning him from his steroid meds and the vet thinks the Cushings should resolve.

However his pathology report also came up with "Cutaneous microfilariasis", which means he has immature nematode parasite stages under his skin. The most common cause of these is HEARTWORM. :( However since Monty has been on Interceptor for the 12 months we have had him, the vet feels this is POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY. :goodluck

The other possible causes are Dipetelonema and Onchocerca, which are apparently very rare, but a derm vet in Lousiana is investigating them and our derm vet will call him if that is what Monty has. They are less serious but hard to treat.

Please cross your fingers for Monty's heartworm test results tomorrow. I don't think this boy can handle one more medical problem. Then again he is young and strong, it is ME who might crack up!!!!!!!

Edited by greytmonty

You and Monty will be in our thoughts and prayers! :bighug

Please keep us updated....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Monty. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

You are not going to crack up because we are going to hold you together. Besides, you are not nearly done writing the medical text that is Monty :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytmonty
You are not going to crack up because we are going to hold you together. Besides, you are not nearly done writing the medical text that is Monty :grouphug

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has had a dog with Heartworm I would appreciate any info. I read some old threads here and so feel less scared if that is it. It is just that with his:

Allergies

Cushings

Thyroid problems (????)

Multiple infections

Dermatitis

Did I miss anything?

I worry he won't tolerate the treatment if it IS heartworm.

Guest argolola

My girl had heartworms when we adopted her. We used the non-evasive method of HeartGard Plus every month. Within 6 months, she was heartworm free. This method may be considered controversial, but 2 vets and the adoption group agreed that we should try it.

Prayers for sweet Monty.

Sending many prayers for Monty and his family too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest luckydog

I"m glad that Monty is in the good hands of the vets at Penn. If anyone can figure out what's wrong with Monty, it'll be a vet school doctor. They live for the weird and strange cases!

Scritches for Monty and an adult beverage for you!

Sending good thoughts out for Monty. :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

This is just not ending for you guys.. .but hopefully, this will be it and treated.

Sorry you have to go through this.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PhillyPups

Karen, so good to see you today. :bighug to you and to Monty. I am just so happy he is in your loving care, he is awesome. Wish I had knowledge but I do have :bighug

Guest greytmonty
Hey Karen

any update on the pup??

The derm vet has not yet called with his heartworm results. Since he is so on top of things I am assuming they are not yet back, and I will call him tomorrow if I don't hear.

Thanks for checking.

Karen, so good to see you today. :bighug to you and to Monty. I am just so happy he is in your loving care, he is awesome. Wish I had knowledge but I do have :bighug

It was so great to see you too, Pat. I have really appreciated all my GT friends. I know Monty's conditions are not as serious as many of you GT'ers have had to go through, but he is my first dog EVER and I find all this illness so upsetting.

Guest greytmonty

I spoke with the derm vet this afternoon. It is NOT heartworm, which is SUCH GOOD NEWS!

They don't know exactly what it is/how to treat it, but the presence of these microfilaria means he definitely has immature parasites under the skin and adult parasites somewhere. The vet will be talking with some experts in parasites and when we meet in 3 weeks he will have a treatment plan. He assures me this does NOT sound serious, which is good news since Monty has enough on his plate, errr, bowl.....

Presume they're sure it's not hookworm? That's the common one that does that but I guess at a Univ. they'd know these things.

What a time you and Monty have had! Hope things start to turn around for you guys as of now!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty
Presume they're sure it's not hookworm? That's the common one that does that but I guess at a Univ. they'd know these things.

What a time you and Monty have had! Hope things start to turn around for you guys as of now!!!!!

Hookworm apparently does not present this way. The three rule outs were Heartworm, Dipetelonema, and Onchocera. It is one of the last two and we will know more after the vet checks with his folks.

Thanks!!!!!