Concern After A Vet Visit

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Took Gigi to the vet this morning for her Lyme Disease vaccination (it's very common here and our favorite trails snake through the woods, I wanted to be safe.)

The vet did a basic examination on her too and found two lumps on the sides of her neck, right under her throat (I don't remember what they are called.) He didn't find any anywhere else.

He said it could be a sign of cancer... or not... come back in a month and he'll see how she's doing. Right now I shouldn't be too concerned.

Right, say the big C word and don't think I'm going to get concerned.

The poor girl is only 2. She has her whole life ahead of her!!

I love Gigi so much, and I'll do everything in my power for her, but what if I can't afford the vet bills? I can't give her up, in six months she's become my life. I won't, I'll figure out something...

I just need to keep calm and hope it's nothing, the vet said other things could cause these glands to swell. It's just going to be a nerve-wracking month in waiting for the next visit...

Guest greytmonty

Oh I am sorry to hear this, it sounds scary but may or may not be serious! I wonder if there are any tests he could run right now?

I hope you'll both be OK. I can tell from your other posts how close you've become to Gigi. Can't say much for your vet's bedside manner, though.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Same question here. Can he aspirate one of the lumps? I'd at the very least get a second opinion. I don't know all that much about the different types of benign lumps that can appear on a dog, but my understanding is that often they feel different so they give a clue as to what's going on. Anytime someone says the c word to me, I don't want to also hear "wait it out" in the same sentence.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Was he talking about her lymph nodes? There are a few areas around their body that they can check the lymph nodes. If those were the only 2 that were swollen, I probably would have asked for a blood panel and keep an eye on her if they get bigger.

Every now and again Gus's nodes will get a little larger than normal, however it happens after he's been exposed to a known allergen or if he has done a superhuge amount of activity.

Guest IndyTwister

A friend's dog went through the same thing (did the needle aspirate and everything) and he just has enlarged salivary glands. Cayman is his "nephew" and his are very visible as well. Perhaps that's all it is with your girl....

Guest jettcricket

Oh, I hear you. When I first adopted Cricket, her left lymph node was swollen. Of course I freaked. They aspirated and I forgot what he told me, but it was not the "C" word. It took about a month for the swelling to go down.

.....Try not to worry - I know it's hard. I'm sure your girl will be fine.

How old is she?

Oh, I see that she's 2. Again....I'm sure she'll be fine.

I agree with getting a second opinion.... the vet should not drop the "c" word and say come back in a month. Someone should be able to do a fine-needle aspirate or at least feel Gigi's neck and tell you their opinion. Very easily could just be swollen lymph nodes that mean nothing scary.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest TBSFlame
I agree with getting a second opinion.... the vet should not drop the "c" word and say come back in a month. Someone should be able to do a fine-needle aspirate or at least feel Gigi's neck and tell you their opinion. Very easily could just be swollen lymph nodes that mean nothing scary.

Beecher has had a swollen lymph node for years now. We have had it aspirated three times and it is nothing. Try not to worry. When our vet found the swollen lymph node we waited also.

My first question is, 'how familiar is the vet with greyhounds?' because I've always been able to feel those lymph nodes in all my dogs, and with REnie they are particularly obvious. They are about the size of large grapes, just in the angle of her jaw, one each side, and very mobile. If I pull Renie's head up so her nose is pointing to the ceiling, you can see the darn things.

The only remark my vets have made about them is that they love to examine greyhounds because 'you can feel everything!' :lol

Don't panic. Even if they are genuinely swollen, there are various things it could be apart from cancer. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest SoulsMom

Yes, get a second opinion. Three years ago my vet told me Archie had bladder cancer and about a year or less to live. He'd had blood in his urine and an ultrasound showed large, ugly masses. The second vet couldn't say for sure without opening him up, but he said it could be either tumors or polyps. I found an excellent surgeon, and it turned out to be polyps caused by bladder stones. $4000(for all the tests and the surgery) on the credit card later, Archie came home cancer free, and with a third smaller bladder than he had before.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest mirthlesstroll

First of all, :bighug Second,how are Gigi's teeth? Are her gums red, or funky breath? Inflammation in the mouth can cause swollen lymph nodes in the neck.

Guest meandmygreys

I was thinking teeth as well...Bonnies whole jaw swelled before it busted open ( :puke ) even while she was on antibiotics...I'd see another vet....They should'nt say "CANCER" with out aspirating or doing a CBC or something !!

I'd be a little P/O'd myself !!

I'm sure she'll be just fine..! :colgate

Guest jessicaksu125

Thanks. I go to the vet who works with our adoption group. He is the one who examines dogs coming in and such. He came with high regards, but doesn't seem like he spends a lot of time with the dogs. For an examination and vaccination this morning it took all of 10 minutes (but I was late so he might have been rushed).

Maybe I will get a second opinion. This is a crazy week, Thursday I'm dropping her off at her play buddy's house for a few days so I'll ask who they use. Anyone in Central Maine with recommendations?

I appreciate everyone's advice... Gigi is the first dog to be all mine so it helps to hear from experienced owners on what to expect and what not to.

I think everything's going to be ok... it just freaked me out to hear that word!

Guest greytexplorer

awwwww :kiss2

1) contact Dr Couto, as burpdog suggested (Dr C may be able to recommend another vet)

2) find second opinion

3) don't worry until you absolutely HAVE to

4) keep on lovin that gyrl!!! :gh_child <that's you and Gigi

Was he talking about her lymph nodes? There are a few areas around their body that they can check the lymph nodes. If those were the only 2 that were swollen, I probably would have asked for a blood panel and keep an eye on her if they get bigger.

Every now and again Gus's nodes will get a little larger than normal, however it happens after he's been exposed to a known allergen or if he has done a superhuge amount of activity.

First of all, :bighug Second,how are Gigi's teeth? Are her gums red, or funky breath? Inflammation in the mouth can cause swollen lymph nodes in the neck.

Allergies and need for dental work (and perhaps a recent dental cleaning) can cause the lymph nodes in the lower jaw to become enlarged. I imagine that other local infections anywhere in the body could also cause one or two to get inflamed, without all being involved.

Did the vet check the dog from head to toe after finding the ones in the jaw? S/he should have. In addition to the two in the lower jaw, there are several more you can palpate yourself. There are two in the front of the chest (sort of the base of the neck), one under each front leg (arm pit), two in the groin (in the belly area, right between the top inside of the back legs) and one in the back of each 'knee' on the back legs.

My Cosmo had lymphoma, and finding those two nodes enlarged was the first sign. The vet started by putting her on an antibiotic to rule out a dental infection. By the time of the official diagnosis, all of the nodes I mentioned above were enlarged.

You shouldn't worry about lymphoma right off the bat, but I am surprised that the vet didn't at least give you antibiotics. I'd call this vet to follow up, take notes, and ask if it is nodes, should any meds be given. I'd consider getting another opinion locally. After getting more complete information, I'd do what the vet(s) suggest (other than waiting and doing nothing), then call/write Dr. Couto. It is likely something acute and not serious, but if it is lymphoma or some other form of cancer, it is better to catch it sooner rather than later.

Thinking good thoughts for your pretty baby,

DD

PS I was just previewing my post and saw that you go to your group's vet. I'm here to tell you that the vet our group uses is the absolutely WORST vet I've ever met in my life, and having lived in several states and having had one or more dogs since 1995, I've met a few vets. Try someone new and see what kind of vibe you get from that person/office.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest taylorsmom

I agree with everyone else here--get a good second opinion and then stick with that new vet!!! Your original vet has a crummy bedside manner at the least. I will bet he or she also gave the vaccination too, right?? From what I understand, vaccinations should only be given to a known healthy dog. If your vet had any reasonable suspicion of illness, especially the possibility of an immune-system related illness like cancer (which it most likely IS NOT!!!) then he should not have taxed her immune system further by giving the vaccination. Just MHO of course. But it really is so unlikely that it is cancer, she is really young, and there are so many other reasons why lymph nodes swell (which your vet should have taken pains to enumerate especially since you were told to wait a month!!)

Hugs to you and your pup.

Guest meandmygreys
PS I was just previewing my post and saw that you go to your group's vet. I'm here to tell you that the vet our group uses is the absolutely WORST vet I've ever met in my life, and having lived in several states and having had one or more dogs since 1995, I've met a few vets. Try someone new and see what kind of vibe you get from that person/office.

I agree...Sometimes the vets the groups use are not necessarily the best...but the one who will work with the group for a reduced rate, payment plans, etc...Not being detremental...JMHO...

See another Vet and get a second opinion. :colgate

We spent $200 to figure out the unilateral asymmetry in the lymph node on Minerva was probably because of the lower canine tooth that had been removed a week or two earlier because she'd chipped it.

Vet swore up and down it was the thyroid gland (I think it was- it's been a while), while I was convinced it was a lymph node. Aspirate showed it was lymph tissue, perfectly normal but inflamed for some unknown reason.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)