Reko Becktemba

Guest sbgreymom

Guest sbgreymom

I picked up my dear sweet Beck's ashes today from the vet's office, one week after having to say goodbye.

I really can't believe it's true, sometimes. He was one of those dogs who, though he grew older, the black hairs slowly turning to white, never seemed to act any slower. He was a bouncy, barky, laughing dog. He hogged the bed, and stole food from counters and plates, and liked to sneak into my 4-year-old daughter's room to forage for forbidden treats. He barked at crows and motorcycles and UPS trucks. At meet-and-greets he spent most of his time demonstrating the "greyhound rug" pose, deceiving everyone into thinking he was a mellow old man. He had a terrible sweet tooth and would eat strawberries, oranges, pineapple, gummi bears, jelly beans....

I got Beck sight-unseen in a series of somewhat magical events. I had met his trainer online through an unrelated hobby and we became friends. When she learned I had an interest in getting a greyhound, she offered to send me one, and events were put in motion for Beck to make his amazing journey from Kenosha, WI to Roseville, CA. When I picked him up at the San Francisco airport on May 1, 2000, I had no idea he would be so BIG! We made it home somehow, in my tiny car, across the Bay Bridge in rush hour traffic with him drooling all over my shoulders and laying down the wrong direction (facing the back) on the back seats. Once home, though, it was as if his pet brain kicked in - he never had a single potty accident, he just lay down and sighed as if to say, ah, home at last.

We had so many adventures - hiking in the Sierras in the snow, running along the beach in Santa Barbara, numerous road trips. He survived me bringing home not only a husband (and husband's dog!) but eventually a newborn baby... who grew into a toddler, and she claimed Beck as "her" dog. She would lead him all over the house by the collar, and he'd follow patiently, with a resigned look on his face. We finally took off his house collar in an act of mercy.

Beck went full speed till almost the end. He was only shaky for nine or ten days; only sick for seven; only really distraught and ill for one, or maybe two. As hard as it was to lose him so suddenly, without warning, in hindsight it kind of makes sense. I always had a hard time picturing him as a frail, wobbly, slow senior. Maybe this is why.

I was talking with my daughter yesterday about Heaven, and about how maybe Beck and I will meet again someday there. And Emma says to me, "Maybe in Heaven, Beck will be a person, and you can talk to him!"

All I can think is, wow, what a neat thing. And wow, kids.

Becktemba, there's been a virtual wake going on in my email inbox for seven days now. People all over the USA loved you. I am so blessed to have had a dog like Beck in my life - he came to me when I needed him most. I hope everyone has love someday like the love he gave me.

See you at the Bridge, Bubbatemba.

Stacey Voigt

Guest argolola

What a precious boy. I can't help but tear up when I see his sweet pic on your siggy.

Sending big hugs to you. God bless you and your family.

Your words give me a glimmer of what a magical fellow he was here. Perhaps even now he is working his magic over the Bridge -- stirring things up, making pups and people smile.

I'm sorry he had to leave.

Godspeed, handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:cry1f_yellow:grouphug I'm so sorry for your loss.

Run free, sweet Beck............

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

What a wonderful tribute to your boy.

Godspeed Beck.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing Beck's story with us. :) I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

What a loving and heart touching tribute to your best boy. I'm so sorry it was time for hiim to go. :grouphug No doubt he's having a grand time at the Bridge with all of our beloved angels who also left us too soon. May Beck live on forever in your heart. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sometimes a particular dog's passing will really, really affect me. Beck was one of those dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.